Does anyone remember the Triffids?

sammynb

Australian band from Perth.

Were quite successful in England and parts of Europe.

Thoughts?

not as good as the the one decent song the Hoodoo Gurus wrote but consistantly produced far better music tbh :icon_lol:

FYP

what is regarding as the hoodoos one good song out of interest? not a slave to the mainstream media see :lol:

Actually the Guru's aren't that bad but they did have a moment where they looked as if they were going to go all Inxs on us.

Thank god someone remembered that paisley doesn't mix with crap pop music.

And Rob, for once if you don't know what you're talking about, just shut the fuck up!

There is a bigger picture than your pretty little airhostess mind can comprehend. ;)

Guest Patrokles

Go-Betweens and Lucksmiths top the Australian music tree imho although the Triffids and Hoodoo Gurus were also pretty neat. Triffids weren't particularly prolific song-wise, though. Calenture's a decent album. The Seabirds is a good track off the other stuff. Hoodoo Gurus were far more than just 'I Want You Back.' Death Ship and Zanzibar are also pretty nice.

New Zealand over Australia, though, for me. Flying Nun and all that.

Guest Patrokles

Thoughts?

not as good as the the one decent song the Hoodoo Gurus wrote but consistantly produced far better music tbh ;)

FYP

what is regarding as the hoodoos one good song out of interest? not a slave to the mainstream media see :lol:

I assume he meant I Want You Back, but am willing to stand corrected. Tojo, perhaps.

Go-Betweens and Lucksmiths top the Australian music tree imho although the Triffids and Hoodoo Gurus were also pretty neat. Triffids weren't particularly prolific song-wise, though. Calenture's a decent album. The Seabirds is a good track off the other stuff. Hoodoo Gurus were far more than just 'I Want You Back.' Death Ship and Zanzibar are also pretty nice.

Funnily enough I'm a huge fan of a lot of flying nun bands. The chills, the gordons > bailter space, headless chickens, Straitjacket Fits and the verlaines (funny that hey Ben) were all great NZ bands but most of them didn't actually get recording contracts with flying nun until they relocated to Sydney or Melbourne. And let's be honest it was only a 3 - 5 year period that Flying Nun was making a difference.

I think you'd find a lot of people would disagree with you about how prolific the Triffids were song wise.

If you get a chance listen to Love in bright landscapes, Born sandy devotional & In the pines again. Obviously they're not as poppy as the Go-betweens but for two bands that come from the same era they have so much in common but are worlds apart.

As for the Lucksmiths, I know you like the obscure but that is really just trying to hard. From that time, early 90s to now, you'd really should try Custard, Spiderbait, Reguritator, The Fauves, Hard ons, etc, etc.

Personally I'd recommend working your way through the White, Citadel, Redeye, Au Go Go Records, missing link and Rampant labels catalogues before you even contemplate trying to stand by the NZ over Aust comment.

Lastly the Hoodoo Gurus can be summed up best in their first album Stoneage Romeos, no not the 2002 re-release version either. After that it was all downhill.

Thoughts?

not as good as the the one decent song the Hoodoo Gurus wrote but consistantly produced far better music tbh ;)

FYP

I assume he meant I Want You Back, but am willing to stand corrected. Tojo, perhaps.

yeah that makes sense, 2 great songs there if you ask me

Thoughts?

FYP

And they're all off what album?

I have been trying to think of some songs by them and by colleague has been singing one called "Bury Me Deep In Love" but it didn't ring any bells!

I had nightmares about the Triffid's TV show!

So besides super7 no-one remembers the triffids?

And yes Bury me was probably their biggest hit, that album Calenture was their first on a major label.

Nothing Can Take Your Place was a great song. Didnt like Calenture etc. Debut album was excellent though. Got that on vinyl somewhere. Might dig it out.

Thoughts?

FYP

what is regarding as the hoodoos one good song out of interest? not a slave to the mainstream media see ;)

And they're all off what album?

the first one stoneage romeos wasn't it?

Guest Patrokles

Funnily enough I'm a huge fan of a lot of flying nun bands. The chills, the gordons > bailter space, headless chickens, Straitjacket Fits and the verlaines (funny that hey Ben) were all great NZ bands but most of them didn't actually get recording contracts with flying nun until they relocated to Sydney or Melbourne. And let's be honest it was only a 3 - 5 year period that Flying Nun was making a difference.

I think you'd find a lot of people would disagree with you about how prolific the Triffids were song wise.

If you get a chance listen to Love in bright landscapes, Born sandy devotional & In the pines again. Obviously they're not as poppy as the Go-betweens but for two bands that come from the same era they have so much in common but are worlds apart.

As for the Lucksmiths, I know you like the obscure but that is really just trying to hard. From that time, early 90s to now, you'd really should try Custard, Spiderbait, Reguritator, The Fauves, Hard ons, etc, etc.

Personally I'd recommend working your way through the White, Citadel, Redeye, Au Go Go Records, missing link and Rampant labels catalogues before you even contemplate trying to stand by the NZ over Aust comment.

Lastly the Hoodoo Gurus can be summed up best in their first album Stoneage Romeos, no not the 2002 re-release version either. After that it was all downhill.

Lucksmiths aren't half as obscure as the bands you mentioned as alternatives.

Lucksmiths aren't half as obscure as the bands you mentioned as alternatives.

Seriously not trying to start an argument but no they aren't. They are/were all bands that are regularly in the indie/alternative charts.

In this country the only song I can think of by the Lucksmiths that has received any sort of radio airplay is T-shirt weather.