Sunderland v Newcastle

khay

Sunderland and bitter derby rivals Newcastle go head-to-head at The Stadium of Light, live on Sky Sports 1.

No wins in six matches following success over Reading back on 15th September has seen Roy Keane's side slip to just a point above the drop zone.

The Magpies can ill-afford another loss after back-to-back defeats, including last weekend's 4-1 humbling at St James' Park by Portsmouth.

Sunderland do not have the best of records against their neighbours having gone seven league meetings without success over The Magpies.

Niall Quinn - now Black Cats chairman - secured a 2-1 victory for Sunderland in November 2000, while Alan Shearer made his last Premier League appearance in Newcastle's 4-1 win April 2006.

Double boost

Keane has striker Andy Cole and winger Carlos Edwards back in contention from the squad that lost 1-0 to Manchester City on Monday.

Cole is yet to make his debut due to a calf problem, while Edwards has missed almost three months of action after suffering a hamstring strain against Birmingham.

The Black Cats have Paul McShane back from suspension following his red card at Arsenal, however, Greg Halford is still banned.

Michael Chopra could be recalled to the starting XI ahead of Anthony Stokes to partner the impressive Kenwyne Jones up front.

Sam Allardyce will be hoping experienced Australian forward Mark Viduka shakes off a calf problem in time to face Sunderland after missing the last four games.

Suspension

However, midfielder Nicky Butt is out through suspension so Turkish midfielder Emre could start after coming off the bench against Pompey.

With Claudio Cacapa struggling with a knee injury, Czech Republic international defender David Rozehnal is likely to fill in alongside Abdoulaye Faye.

The game is likely to come too soon for injured trio Shay Given (groin), Stephen Carr (hamstring) and Damien Duff (ankle).

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Team Line Up

..............Viduka

...Zoggy.................Martins

........Barton.......Emre

..............Geremi

Jose...Faye........Roz...Beye

.............Harper

Subs

Foster

Owen

Smith

Taylor

Milner

Edited by khay

My Team Line Up

..............Viduka

..............Geremi

.............Harper

Subs

Foster

Emre

Smith

Taylor

Milner

That Emre is handy like

My Team Line Up

..............Viduka

..............Geremi

.............Harper

Subs

Foster

Owen

Smith

Taylor

Milner

That Emre is handy like

:razz:

My Team Line Up

..............Viduka

..............Geremi

.............Harper

Subs

Foster

Owen

Smith

Taylor

Milner

I'd go for that But have Taylor for Roz but Roz in for Geremi at DMC

Keane Backs Brave Chopra Ahead Of Newcastle Clash

Roy Keane believes Michael Chopra is a brave man to join Sunderland after coming up through the Newcastle United ranks.

zoom - galleria Chopra failed to get enough action at St. James Park, and was repeatedly loaned out to the likes of Watford, Nottingham Forest and Barnsley.

That was before being sold for good, to Cardiff City last summer.

He then joined Sunderland this summer, and will face Newcastle in Saturday's Premiership clash.

Roy Keane has praised the player for showing the courage to make the move, admitting that he himself would never have left Manchester United for Liverpool or Celtic for Rangers.

“He is brave and I admire players who go against grain," said Keane.

“We’re delighted to have him and it wouldn’t surprise me if he scores. He’s from the area and it may drive him on a bit more.”

Keane Backs Brave Chopra Ahead Of Newcastle Clash

Roy Keane believes Michael Chopra is a brave man to join Sunderland after coming up through the Newcastle United ranks.

zoom - galleria Chopra failed to get enough action at St. James Park, and was repeatedly loaned out to the likes of Watford, Nottingham Forest and Barnsley.

That was before being sold for good, to Cardiff City last summer.

He then joined Sunderland this summer, and will face Newcastle in Saturday's Premiership clash.

Roy Keane has praised the player for showing the courage to make the move, admitting that he himself would never have left Manchester United for Liverpool or Celtic for Rangers.

“He is brave and I admire players who go against grain," said Keane.

“We’re delighted to have him and it wouldn’t surprise me if he scores. He’s from the area and it may drive him on a bit more.”

Amazing the amount of nothing stories that make it to prints in and around the derby like :calmdown:

Toon owner to sit with away fans at derby

Newcastle's millionaire owner will join his club's fans in the away end at Sunderland tomorrow because he wants to wear his black and white shirt.

Mike Ashley will forego the pleasures of the directors' box at the Stadium of Light and join the 3,000 travelling Newcastle fans, because he did not want to cause problems for the hosts by wearing his top among the red and white supporters.

Much has been made during the build-up to the Wear-Tyne derby as to whether Ashley would wear his black and white shirt, which has striker Alan Smith's name on the back, for the game.

The sports retail entrepreneur likes to show his affinity to the Newcastle fans by wearing the same replica shirts that helped make his fortune.

His Sunderland counterpart Niall Quinn said he did not mind what Ashley wore, but there were concerns from police and club officials that some supporters would find it an inflammatory gesture in a game which is one of British football's most passionate.

Newcastle chairman Chris Mort said today: 'Niall understands Mike wants to wear his black and white shirt for this game more than any other, but does not want to cause anyone at Sunderland any problems.

'As a result, Mike has decided to watch tomorrow's game with our fans behind the goal.'

Ashley was once thought of as a recluse, but since he bought the club he has repeatedly appeared in the directors' box wearing his team's kit.

Earlier this year he was initially refused entry to a Newcastle nightclub because he was wearing the black and white stripes, until a senior member of staff recognised the multi-millionaire and let him in.

He bought everyone in the club a drink and tipped the staff heavily.

The Blu Bambu club changed its policy, so now customers can wear football tops, as long as they can prove they own the club.

From soccernet.com

Hilarious, love the man!

My Team Line Up

..............Viduka

..............Geremi

.............Harper

Subs

Foster

Owen

Smith

Taylor

Milner

That Emre is handy like

:calmdown:

That team looks decent but there is no way that will be what BS picks, I reckon Smith will be in CM, Owen up front with Oba on the bench and I wouldnt be surprised if Milner gets a start too at the expense of Barton. Hope I`m wrong

I admit it, I've missed derby day. :calmdown:

i have serious butterflies and being in the house with 2 mackems isn't helpiing... :icon_lol:

Divorce perhaps? :unsure:

not married !

Even better. :)