The offical Big Sam out..Hughes in

duckerDavies

The point on Ramos is stupid but I notice you avoid the Sven one.

I also made the point yesterday about Keane's team being just as much strangers. They may have 8 less points than us but have actually played good teams.

Sven is a better manager than Allardyce. I don't see the relevance of that though.

Not when Big Sam was going to be England manager he wasn't.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also made the point yesterday about Keane's team being just as much strangers. They may have 8 less points than us but have actually played good teams.

Sven is a better manager than Allardyce. I don't see the relevance of that though.

Its surely about degrees though. Theres nothing wrong with what Gemmill says about trying things and it taking time in theory but the fact that other managers have the same issues and are doing said tinkering with better results in terms of results and style then I think its worth stating that I expect better from someone who is supposed to be that good.

I would add that I see "giving him time" as two streams - yes he should be judged over a seasons or more work but so many day to day mistakes should be eligible for judgement just as much.

Was Allardyce ever supposed to be that good in terms of style?

Results wise I've only been disappointed by Derby, Reading and Portsmouth. If I'm happy with three quarters of the results come the end of the season that won't be a bad thing.

Not when Big Sam was going to be England manager he wasn't.

Yes he was. Just because the Sun said he wasn't doesn't mean you have to buy in to that bullshit.

No and thats my worry - it will be much easier for him to play the "give me time" card if people see a bit of football every now and then. He has the players now compared with Bolton - if his "plan" consists of playing the same way without injecting any kind of resilience (as witnessed so far) then I will upgrade my stance from "worried" to "get rid".

Results wise I've only been disappointed by Derby, Reading and Portsmouth. If I'm happy with three quarters of the results come the end of the season that won't be a bad thing.

The result against Sunderland is one we would normally take - the performance was unacceptable.

When we start to lose badly against the good teams will you just shrug and say "I expected that"?

No and thats my worry - it will be much easier for him to play the "give me time" card if people see a bit of football every now and then. He has the players now compared with Bolton - if his "plan" consists of playing the same way without injecting any kind of resilience (as witnessed so far) then I will upgrade my stance from "worried" to "get rid".

The result against Sunderland is one we would normally take - the performance was unacceptable.

When we start to lose badly against the good teams will you just shrug and say "I expected that"?

Why was the performance unacceptable? First half we were terrible, we missed Butt who's been our best midfielder and was made for games like this. But we came out with far more edge in the second half and didn't lose having gone behind which is unheard of.

I don't expect us to lose badly to the good teams, I expect us to make a good fist of it, our best results have come against teams in the top half. But I won't suggest he should be sacked if we do lose them. Especially if we're still higher than we finished last season, we've done better than we did against the same teams last season, and are above the Mackems.

Just one thing. Has anyone here actually said he should be sacked ????? :calmdown: Yes, a few folk are pissed off but does anyone actually want him replaced now????

no. not what from what i've seen. that's why gemmil, the fish et al's posts have seemed so ott to me.

Just one thing. Has anyone here actually said he should be sacked ?????

Just Ducker I think, and he is prone to silly thoughts...

Now this will sound knee-jerk but When we bought Big Sam in we all thought he'd be a good manager in the long term to take us into the top 4 hell i even thought we might of had a slight change of getting in the top two if only for a while.

:calmdown:

Why was the performance unacceptable? First half we were terrible, we missed Butt who's been our best midfielder and was made for games like this. But we came out with far more edge in the second half and didn't lose having gone behind which is unheard of.

I don't expect us to lose badly to the good teams, I expect us to make a good fist of it, our best results have come against teams in the top half. But I won't suggest he should be sacked if we do lose them. Especially if we're still higher than we finished last season, we've done better than we did against the same teams last season, and are above the Mackems.

He picked a team to stop Sunderland playing - a tactic which failed miserably and only their piss-poor finishing stopped us from getting hammered. I also expected more from him than a team that starts playing when they are a goal down - though we could still easily have lost but for poor finishing again.

I do expect us to give a good game to the good teams at home - Pompey was a bad day I'm willing to forget - but if his attitude is to go to Derby, Reading and Sunderland in such a negative manner then away trips to the better teams will be disasters.

Away to Boro also. They're a load of sad wallies and part-timers who we should've beaten with our eyes closed.

Sam hasn't really been tested yet. I feel like we'll see his true quality when we face the big teams. At this point in the season, things are uncertain - we're approaching a turning point. Either we put this shakiness past us and get the big results (at which point this will be forgotten and those who question him now will be singing his praises later) or we take a few big thrashings and begin to hear calls for Sam's head (at which point those defending him now will be chanting "Sam oot" out the sides of their mouths.)

Wait and see, I think. I'm not giving up on him yet, meself.

He picked a team to stop Sunderland playing - a tactic which failed miserably and only their piss-poor finishing stopped us from getting hammered. I also expected more from him than a team that starts playing when they are a goal down - though we could still easily have lost but for poor finishing again.

I do expect us to give a good game to the good teams at home - Pompey was a bad day I'm willing to forget - but if his attitude is to go to Derby, Reading and Sunderland in such a negative manner then away trips to the better teams will be disasters.

If they could've finished like Pompey it could have been bad like.

But then let's put a positive spin on it, the old complaint was we couldn't grind any points out of poor performances.

How many managers stroll straight into a team and do a job? Not many. Sven is a fluke in those terms.

Martin O'Neill didn't have the best of first seasons last year. After the initial honeymoon period Villa played poorly and only finished above us due to a couple of brilliant results towards the very end of the season. This season they're looking much, much better.

I can understand why people would be annoyed at the performances but Christ, give BSA a real chance.

How many managers stroll straight into a team and do a job? Not many. Sven is a fluke in those terms.

Martin O'Neill didn't have the best of first seasons last year. After the initial honeymoon period Villa played poorly and only finished above us due to a couple of brilliant results towards the very end of the season. This season they're looking much, much better.

I can understand why people would be annoyed at the performances but Christ, give BSA a real chance.

Sven is doing well (he IS a lucky manager), but it's still a long season and yeah for that reason neither he or Allardyce can really be judged completely yet.

Having said that I can't see how anyone can really be happy as some of the things occurring in recent games.

Sven lucky ?

bollocks, you can't tell me his success with Sampdoria, Lazio, Benfica, Roma, Fiorentina and Gothenburg are down to luck.

Sven is doing well (he IS a lucky manager)

30 years of luck

Sven lucky ?

bollocks, you can't tell me his success with Sampdoria, Lazio, Benfica, Roma, Fiorentina and Gothenburg are down to luck.

No, I'm not saying he's a rubbish manager (he buys well for sure), but equally he does get the rub of the green more than some.

30 years of luck

Sven lucky ?

No, I'm not saying he's a rubbish manager (he buys well for sure), but equally he does get the rub of the green more than some.

I think you'll find thats down to him being a top class manager rather than lady-luck.

30 years of luck

Sven lucky ?

I think you'll find thats down to him being a top class manager rather than lady-luck.

We'll have to see, I guess.

:unsure:

30 years of luck

Sven lucky ?

Aye, wouldn't want to come to a rash judgement of him based on 30 years of consistent success.

:unsure:

30 years of luck

Sven lucky ?

Aye, wouldn't want to come to a rash judgement of him based on 30 years of consistent success.

So I guess he'll be winning the Premiership in what? 2 years? 5? This year?

Admittedly after winning the WC twice with England it's fairly odds on.

I must have missed that bit of his press conference. Win the Premiership? Shut up for fucks sake.

Is this another slanging match thread then? :unsure:

Is basically any thread I post anything in going to turn into such as soon as you read it? :calmdown:

I must have missed that bit of his press conference. Win the Premiership? Shut up for fucks sake.

Is this another slanging match thread then? :rolleyes:

Is basically any thread I post anything in going to turn into such as soon as you read it? :icon_lol:

If you keep posting bollocks, probably.

Is this another slanging match thread then? :rolleyes:

Is basically any thread I post anything in going to turn into such as soon as you read it? :icon_lol:

If you keep posting bollocks, probably.

I'm fairly sure anything counts as "bollocks" as far as you're concerned. :)

I sense anger management lessons are needed.

:rolleyes:

30 years of luck

Sven lucky ?

:icon_lol:

So I guess he'll be winning the Premiership in what? 2 years? 5? This year?

Admittedly after winning the WC twice with England it's fairly odds on.

Only if his luck holds. He must be due to get dealt a bad hand.