Lest we forget

luckyluke

It's very easy to call someone a coward over the internet.

About as easy as it is for you to make up a load of rubbish then cowardly run away when someone calls you out on it.

Again PLEASE tell me how what I said was "wrong", "inflammatory" or "looking for a bite".

*deafening silence from luckyluke* :)

No idea what you mean by running away, I have more important things to do than argue with someone like you all day over the internet.

And yet you keep COMING BACK to say nothing, again and again. :icon_lol:

As I've said, others have pointed this out, but

a) most people are well aware of the horrors of WW1

That's a very general "most" you're using there, could most give the numbers killed in one day on the Somme?

Could "most" even give a rough guess as to how many died in it?

Could "most" people give even a rough outline of the effects of chlorine gas never mind sitting their waiting and hoping that the wind didn't change?

So I'd disagree with that, although not that "most" don't remember at least one day a year, but that's not really the same thing and yet again what I said not "wrong", "inflammatory" or "looking for a bite". Next.

:rolleyes: your post didn't specify what you meant by 'people' (it sounded like a generalisation which extended to mean most people, which some logically took that to mean posters on here) and as usual came with the air of you being in the know whereas everyone else was ignorant.

Yours (just above) didn't specify what you meant by "most" either. :panic:

But again none of that that has nothing to do with what I actually said, it is purely spurious personal interpretation of what you want me to have said, not what I actually said. And again not "wrong", "inflammatory" or "looking for a bit". Try harder.

Arguing with you is like arguing with Leazes.

You're not actually arguing with me though, you're just spouting crap then running off with your tail between your legs. :rolleyes:

I wasn't aware that knowing the horrors of WW1 required an encylopedic knowledge of the war. Most people (as in, the majority of the general public) I imagine would have a general idea of what trench warfare is like, and that many, many countless lives were lost. Which is surely all that matters. The entire country reflects on this every year, thinks of what men went through for us, how many lives were pointlessly lost, yet you sneer that it isn't good enough. Pathetic.

Not everyone is some pedantic know-it-all drama queen who spends their heads in books all day, I suggest you don't judge people by your standards.

Your last point is nonsensical, as usual.

*overformatted drivel from Fop* :)

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought The Stylistics Greatest Hits today. It's fuckin' ace, man. Takes me back to my youth :icon_lol::):rolleyes:

Just thought I'd mention this, as this thread seems to be getting a bit bogged down imo. :) (Lads, life's too short to get stuck in a rut with each other over this. Tell you what, call it quits and I promise Jonny2J will buy you each a pint the next time you're in The Trent. Can't say fairer than that! :rolleyes: )

Bought The Stylistics Greatest Hits today. It's fuckin' ace, man. Takes me back to my youth :rolleyes::rolleyes::panic:

Just thought I'd mention this, as this thread seems to be getting a bit bogged down imo. :) (Lads, life's too short to get stuck in a rut with each other over this. Tell you what, call it quits and I promise Jonny2J will buy you each a pint the next time you're in The Trent. Can't say fairer than that! :) )

Bastard. :icon_lol:

Bought The Stylistics Greatest Hits today. It's fuckin' ace, man. Takes me back to my youth :):panic::icon_lol:

Just thought I'd mention this, as this thread seems to be getting a bit bogged down imo. :rolleyes: (Lads, life's too short to get stuck in a rut with each other over this. Tell you what, call it quits and I promise Jonny2J will buy you each a pint the next time you're in The Trent. Can't say fairer than that! :) )

eeh Snakey man...me mam used to have a Stylistics lp :rolleyes::icon_lol:

Bought The Stylistics Greatest Hits today. It's fuckin' ace, man. Takes me back to my youth :):icon_lol::icon_lol:

Just thought I'd mention this, as this thread seems to be getting a bit bogged down imo. :panic: (Lads, life's too short to get stuck in a rut with each other over this. Tell you what, call it quits and I promise Jonny2J will buy you each a pint the next time you're in The Trent. Can't say fairer than that! :) )

eeh Snakey man...me mam used to have a Stylistics lp :rolleyes::icon_lol:

Yeah, right :rolleyes: Check it out, some of the tracks are just mint.

So your main qualm is with the passing of time and the fact more and more people have had no direct relation/contact who was alive during war time? Even though those people can do lots to find out about WW1 with the wealth of information available and on the national curriculum.

Part of it yes, but as much as well it's to remember to remember correctly. Few now really see the run up to WW2 as it was seen at the time socially and politically, as we see it in a post WW2 way (after the war drums of that and the creation of perhaps the defining bogey man of modern times and another for much of the next 50 years).

Nothing can be viewed with hindsight the way it was viewed as it occured. Because as Heisenberg (who lived through the war) tells us, your looking at it changes it.

History and physics may share some things in common but the uncertainty principle is not really one of them.

It's hard to view things as the happen, and it is hard to view things with hindsight in the same way, BUT lessons can however be remembered and preserved and indeed things can be understand and avoided with hindsight.

It is in fact the best way most likely.

I'm sure everyone agrees, and put so much better there than "People have already pretty much completely forgotten the utter horror of WW1." which is a holier than thou attitude bound to raise peoples hackles.

Again rubbish, it's just a comment of basic AGREEMENT on the sadness of the old guys passing away and with them the direct memories and our cultural perspective as time marches on.

But even if you're convinced it is "holier than thou" it is still NOT "wrong" or "inflamatory" or "looking for a bite" or whatever else has been said.

Especially when you refused to qualify it for a few pages.

I refused to engage in mindless name calling until ghouls like yourself started to mass. :icon_lol:

It was after all not supposed to be a slanging match thread.

I didn't call you any names, I tried to engage you in conversation. Since you've been incapable of making any concession to the fact that your remark was in any way inflammatory though, even after I've made a concession to your more fully explained point of view, tells me you have no interest putting this to bed but would rather drag out the pointless attention seeking.

I'll leave you to it mate.

As the old saying goes, don't argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

oh dear God!

All he's got to do is tell me how what I said was "wrong", "inflammatory" or "looking for a bite" as he alleged.

Of course as he knows as well as I do that he's talking out of his arse claiming that, the silence will be deafening as it has so far been from him. :icon_lol:

Fop, Luke's the doctor round these parts but I'm going to make the diagnosis for him; you're showing all the symptoms of Asperger's now tbh. It's almost as classic a case as Sima tbh. :)

You're a solicitor aren't you?

You make your living by not letting people get away with spouting rubbish (or on the other hand try to help them - is he paying you? :rolleyes:).

He accused me of a load of crap, he knows it (which is why he won't address my points) so it's entirely his own fault.

Yeah yeah, I was just arguing the toss and stirring again tbf. :rolleyes:

:)

I didn't call you any names, I tried to engage you in conversation.

And I explained it.

I wasn't going to get into a slanging match here, but equally I wasn't going to not defend myself.

Since you've been incapable of making any concession to the fact that your remark was in any way inflammatory though, even after I've made a concession to your more fully explained point of view, tells me you have no interest putting this to bed but would rather drag out the pointless attention seeking.

Again in WHAT WAY was what I said in any way at all "inflammatory"?

It should be simply if it was, yet still NO ONE has actually addressed that.

So yet again IN WHAT WAY was it "inflammatory"? (yeah yeah no answer from you either, just more personal attacks on me and nothing about what I said :rolleyes:)

I'll leave you to it mate.

As the old saying goes, don't argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Indeed you've tried your best to do just that, which just goes to show persistence CAN beat idiots and ghouls. :icon_lol:

Edited by Fop

I wasn't aware that knowing the horrors of WW1 required an encylopedic knowledge of the war. Most people (as in, the majority of the general public) I imagine would have a general idea of what trench warfare is like, and that many, many countless lives were lost. Which is surely all that matters. The entire country reflects on this every year, thinks of what men went through for us, how many lives were pointlessly lost, yet you sneer that it isn't good enough. Pathetic.

And since with is "general knowledge" the same thing as "utter horror"?

Ah yes, about the at the same time as my comment was "inflamatory", "wrong" or "looking for a bite". NEVER.

Nice try to change the subject though. :icon_lol:

Not everyone is some pedantic know-it-all drama queen who spends their heads in books all day, I suggest you don't judge people by your standards.

Your last point is nonsensical, as usual.

*overformatted drivel from Fop* :rolleyes:

Yet, yet again please EXPLAIN how my comment was "inflammatory", "wrong" or "looking for a bite".

what is that?

Oh yes.

*the usual deafening silence and the whiff of cowardice from quickly retreating arse of luckyluke* :)

The site is down for a day and as soon as its back up FOP is straight back to the scene of the crime. :icon_lol::rolleyes:

You should try press refresh for 16 hours straight, hard work. :):)

I gave up after 15 tbh. Part-timer I know. :rolleyes:

Only supernerds like you would accuse someone of cowardice over the internet. :icon_lol:

Ah childish insults and you still have NOT explained how my comment was "inflammatory", "wrong" or "looking for a bite"

I've answered your questions but as you keep saying I haven't I'm not going to waste my time doing so further.

Where? Where have you explained how my comment was "inflammatory", "wrong" or "looking for a bite"? Oh yes.... NO WHERE. :)

You ARE the new Leazes.

Actually in your UTTER REFUSAL to either explain how my comment was "inflammatory", "wrong" or "looking for a bite", or admit that is wasn't anything of the sort.......... I'd say that you should look in the mirror if you're looking for a new Leazes here.

As that's pretty much the sort of thing he'd do after starting an argument and then realises he didn't have a leg to stand on. :):rolleyes:

*more deafening silence from luckyluke*

Someone play 'The Last Post' and lock this ffs! :icon_lol:

All he has to do is explain how my comment was "inflammatory", "wrong" or "looking for a bite".

If it was (which is patently was not) then it should be easy enough.

Either that or just shut the fuck up as it's clear he won't admit he was wrong.

All he has to do is explain how my comment was "inflammatory", "wrong" or "looking for a bite".

Fuck off man :rolleyes:

Fuck off man :)

"You can't handle the truth!" :rolleyes:

I'll help you with "wrong"

It was the day that the nation came out to remember the horror of WW1 and the sacrifices made. The clue is in its title "remembrance day". And you said people had forgotten.

If people have forgotten, who were those people on my telly at the cenitaph?

The "inflammatory" and "looking for a bite" follow from that blatant falsehood.

Now do us a favour and pipe down about it.

I'll help you with "wrong"

It was the day that the nation came out to remember the horror of WW1 and the sacrifices made. The clue is in its title "remembrance day". And you said people had forgotten.

If people have forgotten, who were those people on my telly at the cenitaph?

Where did I say people had forgotten WW1? Or that people didn't remember those that had fallen?

Oh yes. No where at all, that has nothing to do with that I said.

Keep trying to peddle your bollocks by all mean though.

The "inflammatory" and "looking for a bite" follow from that blatant falsehood.

The non-existent falsehood you just MADE UP. :):rolleyes:

Now do us a favour and pipe down about it.

Oh aye I'm sure you'd like me to let you get away with :icon_lol: like that.

But if you are going to keep posting lies then it's more than fair enough for me to point them out.