Lest we forget

luckyluke

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can see from every post in here how it was a dodgy post.

I'm sorry, but not one person has pointed out how it (what I said) was dodgy.

I've had a lot of bile aimed at me personally, but whatever, water off a ducks back, but no one has actually pointed out what was wrong with what I actually said.

Maybe you thought you had a good point, maybe you could have explained yourself better. I stand by my words.

Maybe I could have explained it better, but I though it was fairly straight forward and pretty much followed on from what had been said.

Seems it's impossible to win, make a long and in depth point and it's :icon_lol:

Make a short and concise comment and it's :rolleyes:

To be totally honest this place'd be nowt without people arguing the toss and calling each other. I love it, me.

Yeah I've noticed that, without a moustachioed villain to hound it can be fairly dead.

I bet Fop teaches HISTORY anarl. :icon_lol:

I imagine you lose a lot of money betting. :)

or [alex on]What is your point?[/alex off]

I bet Fop teaches HISTORY anarl. :rolleyes:

Bad spelling. Italics. Letters in bold. Aaand an underlined word. All in one small sentence. Top Post, Al :)

There was no crack. :rolleyes:

It's very easy to call someone a coward over the internet.

About as easy as it is for you to make up a load of rubbish then cowardly run away when someone calls you out on it.

Again PLEASE tell me how what I said was "wrong", "inflammatory" or "looking for a bite".

*deafening silence from luckyluke* :icon_lol:

oh dear God!

All he's got to do is tell me how what I said was "wrong", "inflammatory" or "looking for a bite" as he alleged.

Of course as he knows as well as I do that he's talking out of his arse claiming that, the silence will be deafening as it has so far been from him. :icon_lol:

oh dear God!

All he's got to do is tell me how what I said was "wrong", "inflammatory" or "looking for a bite" as he alleged.

Of course as he knows as well as I do that he's talking out of his arse claiming that, the silence will be deafening as it has so far been from him. :icon_lol:

Fop, Luke's the doctor round these parts but I'm going to make the diagnosis for him; you're showing all the symptoms of Asperger's now tbh. It's almost as classic a case as Sima tbh. :rolleyes:

So your main qualm is with the passing of time and the fact more and more people have had no direct relation/contact who was alive during war time? Even though those people can do lots to find out about WW1 with the wealth of information available and on the national curriculum.

Part of it yes, but as much as well it's to remember to remember correctly. Few now really see the run up to WW2 as it was seen at the time socially and politically, as we see it in a post WW2 way (after the war drums of that and the creation of perhaps the defining bogey man of modern times and another for much of the next 50 years).

Nothing can be viewed with hindsight the way it was viewed as it occured. Because as Heisenberg (who lived through the war) tells us, your looking at it changes it.

Also, you're saying if those of us in that position can't do any more than read or watch documentries to remind ourselves, we should just stop trying because we're insulting the people that were there? So basically in one more generation we should just forget about it because we're insulting them even trying to remember given that they're no longer here to remind us in person.

I don't know what would be worse tbh, if you're on a WUM or if you believe this.

Again their you go with saying what you WANT me to say, no I'm not.

But equally as those last old guys go, so do the people that knew the genuine horror of it - my point is more that we should remember that horror for exactly what it was (and do our very best to keep that memory alive - in ways like the Holocaust is keep alive), not just as names on a stone once a year.

I'm sure everyone agrees, and put so much better there than "People have already pretty much completely forgotten the utter horror of WW1." which is a holier than thou attitude bound to raise peoples hackles. Especially when you refused to qualify it for a few pages.

oh dear God!

Fop, Luke's the doctor round these parts but I'm going to make the diagnosis for him; you're showing all the symptoms of Asperger's now tbh. It's almost as classic a case as Sima tbh. :rolleyes:

You're a solicitor aren't you?

You make your living by not letting people get away with spouting rubbish (or on the other hand try to help them - is he paying you? :)).

He accused me of a load of crap, he knows it (which is why he won't address my points) so it's entirely his own fault.

Edited by Fop

So your main qualm is with the passing of time and the fact more and more people have had no direct relation/contact who was alive during war time? Even though those people can do lots to find out about WW1 with the wealth of information available and on the national curriculum.

Part of it yes, but as much as well it's to remember to remember correctly. Few now really see the run up to WW2 as it was seen at the time socially and politically, as we see it in a post WW2 way (after the war drums of that and the creation of perhaps the defining bogey man of modern times and another for much of the next 50 years).

Nothing can be viewed with hindsight the way it was viewed as it occured. Because as Heisenberg (who lived through the war) tells us, your looking at it changes it.

History and physics may share some things in common but the uncertainty principle is not really one of them.

It's hard to view things as the happen, and it is hard to view things with hindsight in the same way, BUT lessons can however be remembered and preserved and indeed things can be understand and avoided with hindsight.

It is in fact the best way most likely.

I'm sure everyone agrees, and put so much better there than "People have already pretty much completely forgotten the utter horror of WW1." which is a holier than thou attitude bound to raise peoples hackles.

Again rubbish, it's just a comment of basic AGREEMENT on the sadness of the old guys passing away and with them the direct memories and our cultural perspective as time marches on.

But even if you're convinced it is "holier than thou" it is still NOT "wrong" or "inflamatory" or "looking for a bite" or whatever else has been said.

Especially when you refused to qualify it for a few pages.

I refused to engage in mindless name calling until ghouls like yourself started to mass. :icon_lol:

It was after all not supposed to be a slanging match thread.

Edited by Fop

About as easy as it is for you to make up a load of rubbish then cowardly run away when someone calls you out on it.

Again PLEASE tell me how what I said was "wrong", "inflammatory" or "looking for a bite".

*deafening silence from luckyluke* :icon_lol:

No idea what you mean by running away, I have more important things to do than argue with someone like you all day over the internet. As I've said, others have pointed this out, but

a) most people are well aware of the horrors of WW1

:rolleyes: your post didn't specify what you meant by 'people' (it sounded like a generalisation which extended to mean most people, which some logically took that to mean posters on here) and as usual came with the air of you being in the know whereas everyone else was ignorant.

Arguing with you is like arguing with Leazes.

*deafening silence from luckyluke* :)

No idea what you mean by running away, I have more important things to do than argue with someone like you all day over the internet.

And yet you keep COMING BACK to say nothing, again and again. :icon_lol:

As I've said, others have pointed this out, but

a) most people are well aware of the horrors of WW1

That's a very general "most" you're using there, could most give the numbers killed in one day on the Somme?

Could "most" even give a rough guess as to how many died in it?

Could "most" people give even a rough outline of the effects of chlorine gas never mind sitting their waiting and hoping that the wind didn't change?

So I'd disagree with that, although not that "most" don't remember at least one day a year, but that's not really the same thing and yet again what I said not "wrong", "inflammatory" or "looking for a bite". Next.

:) your post didn't specify what you meant by 'people' (it sounded like a generalisation which extended to mean most people, which some logically took that to mean posters on here) and as usual came with the air of you being in the know whereas everyone else was ignorant.

Yours (just above) didn't specify what you meant by "most" either. :rolleyes:

But again none of that that has nothing to do with what I actually said, it is purely spurious personal interpretation of what you want me to have said, not what I actually said. And again not "wrong", "inflammatory" or "looking for a bit". Try harder.

Arguing with you is like arguing with Leazes.

You're not actually arguing with me though, you're just spouting crap then running off with your tail between your legs. :rolleyes:

Edited by Fop

oh dear God!

Fop, Luke's the doctor round these parts but I'm going to make the diagnosis for him; you're showing all the symptoms of Asperger's now tbh. It's almost as classic a case as Sima tbh. :)

You're a solicitor aren't you?

You make your living by not letting people get away with spouting rubbish (or on the other hand try to help them - is he paying you? :)).

He accused me of a load of crap, he knows it (which is why he won't address my points) so it's entirely his own fault.

Yeah yeah, I was just arguing the toss and stirring again tbf. :rolleyes: