Magpies are back on track, says happy Sam

Scottish Mag

SAM Allardyce is confident he has got Newcastle’s stuttering season back on track after admitting that Saturday’s Wear-Tyne derby was a game he could not afford to lose.

Having seen his side beaten in their two previous Premier League fixtures, the former Sunderland defender was under intense pressure as he returned to Wearside but, although the Black Cats were the better side, the spoils were shared.

With chairman Chris Mort watching from the directors’ box and club owner Mike Ashley from the stands, Allardyce’s relief was apparent as James Milner equalised Danny Higginbotham’s headed opener. And although he last night insisted his relationship with both remains intact, the Magpies boss knows defeat on Wearside would have been intolerable for all at St James’s Park.

“The most important thing here is not to lose the derby, we haven’t and, in the circumstances, we are pleased,” explained a manager whose team lost 4-1 at home to Portsmouth seven days earlier. “This was a game that we couldn’t afford to lose – that would be unthinkable – and a point is important for Newcastle and for me.”

Allardyce endured an uncomfortable week following a damaging defeat and, although he feels the reaction has been disproportionate, the 53-year-old understands the demands for instant success.

“You need to buy time with results, because this is an impatient business – that has been proved with the managers who have gone already,” he said. “Are Newcastle’s supporters impatient? Not if you’re winning.”

Newcastle have not won since October 22, but Allardyce is hoping Aston Villa’s example hasn’t gone unnoticed within the St James’s Park boardroom.

“Martin O’Neill didn’t win in 16 games last season (and he’s still in a job) and that’s what you need in your first year under new owners,” he said. “Mike strikes me as a man who is committed to the club – just look at what he has spent here. He also seems to want to be enjoying it – I wasn’t surprised he watched with the fans – and I’m all for that. It’s up to me to help him do that. I’m just glad we scored at the end he was in. I’m working on a day-to-day basis with the chairman and we’re building a great relationship at a rapid pace.”

Salvaging a point during a frenetic fixture cannot have harmed such efforts and although forthcoming fixtures are difficult ones (Liverpool, Arsenal and Blackburn are up next), Allardyce is looking ahead with confidence.

“We’re over the blip, we’ve steadied the ship,” he said. “We’re going okay, although football managers are never satisfied. We’ve had a rough time. But we’ve come back and not allowed it to escalate. This will help to lift spirits.”

Although content to have drawn, Allardyce was not pleased at the manner in which Sunderland opened the scoring and the club’s defenders will continue to be worked hard. “Good defensive play in the Premier League doesn’t happen overnight when you’ve got new players,” added a manager determined to eradicate the errors undermining his efforts. “We’re working on them as a unit and as individuals and they’ll get better. The mistake we made might have cost us this game and it’s something that we’ve got to overcome.”

Abdoulaye Faye, whose mistake led to Danny Higginbotham’s headed goal, later limped off. The Senegal international suffered a hamstring problem that could sideline him for several weeks. Faye has been withdrawn from the Senegal squad and will remain in the North-East to receive treatment.

er...okay.

:icon_lol:

He's talked himself into a bit of a corner there I reckon. I can't see us getting much from the next 3 games yet he's claiming we're on the up. Should have kept quiet IMO.

Edited by Asprilla's foreskin

I'm getting a bit sick of this talking bollocks. The fans aren't daft (well, some of us aren't) and we know we were poor and we know we were lucky. If the result had been fair it would have been about 2-0 to them.

er...okay.

:icon_lol:

He's talked himself into a bit of a corner there I reckon. I can't see us getting much from the next 3 games yet he's claiming we're on the up. Should have kept quiet IMO.

Agreed, a positive frame of mind isn't going to help anyone.

We might as well send the reserves out for the next three games eh? keep the first team fresh for the christmas run.

I'm getting a bit sick of this talking bollocks. The fans aren't daft (well, some of us aren't) and we know we were poor and we know we were lucky. If the result had been fair it would have been about 2-0 to them.

It should have been 2 - 0, as I had predicted that result !! :icon_lol:

However, we could all be as happy as Larry in twelve months time, being in the top four and looking back on this result as the starting point in our revival - I sincerely hope so. We got the point, without playing well, so onwards and upwards.

It's all a smoke screen from him, why didn't he just keep it zipped. We were very lucky on Saturday to come away with a point

Guest stevieintoon

To quote Paddy Conroy "who's he fuckin kiddin, put that on ye doctrimenry ye arsehole"

Maybe arsehole is too harsh a word to call Sam, and we're all the best managers in the world, but at times it feels like I'm screaming, no one is listening, and that I'm the only one who can see Charlie should be an absolute essential part of the last third of the pitch for us, yet he wastes him at left back. I've said this to loads of people and I mean it, if Charlie played for Arsenal he'd be one of the best players in the world, he's wasted with an idiotic manager and a shite bunch of players like we have.

Edited by stevieintoon

Aye, N'Zogbia's like a breath of fresh air - the best attacking option in midfield and someone who'll actually run at players. He has to be played on the left-wing for a run of games with Enrique at left-back and none of this switching wings shite either, unless it's for the odd 10 minute spell here and there. I think 99% of fans think the same thing though.

Allardyce is a genius. He saw our start to the season and thought to himself "if I win 12 games on the bounce expectation will go through the roof and I'll be out of a job when I don't make Europe come the end of the season. I'd best tie an arm behind my back to lower expectation. I'll restrict myself to only playing people in their natural position through the middle. Anyone wide must be unaccustomed to what they're doing. That should do it."

Allardyce is a genius. He saw our start to the season and thought to himself "if I win 12 games on the bounce expectation will go through the roof and I'll be out of a job when I don't make Europe come the end of the season. I'd best tie an arm behind my back to lower expectation. I'll restrict myself to only playing people in their natural position through the middle. Anyone wide must be unaccustomed to what they're doing. That should do it."

Have you seen the conspiracy theory (not sure how serious it was although it seemed serious) on N-O posted by BrazilianBob? Basically reckons Allardyce is doing it on porpoise just so we can have a good 2nd half to the season, qualify for the Uefa Cup and be hailed as a genius. Interesting idea like :icon_lol:

If we're top of the league in January there's no need for a transfer kitty. Transfer bungs are his priority in the game and the main reason he came to free-spending Newcastle. He's intent on causing alarm in the boardroom so he can rake in the big bucks.

That's what I heard from my ITK source.

God's honest.

I swear down.

Edited by Happy Face

To quote Paddy Conroy "who's he fuckin kiddin, put that on ye doctrimenry ye arsehole"

Maybe arsehole is too harsh a word to call Sam, and we're all the best managers in the world, but at times it feels like I'm screaming, no one is listening, and that I'm the only one who can see Charlie should be an absolute essential part of the last third of the pitch for us, yet he wastes him at left back. I've said this to loads of people and I mean it, if Charlie played for Arsenal he'd be one of the best players in the world, he's wasted with an idiotic manager and a shite bunch of players like we have.

I concur about N'Zogbia. The one or two times he was able to run freely at the Sunderland defence they looked very uncomfortable.

Still, Sam makes a very salient point about O'Neill and Villa last season, one which I made last night :icon_lol:

I concur about N'Zogbia. The one or two times he was able to run freely at the Sunderland defence they looked very uncomfortable.

Still, Sam makes a very salient point about O'Neill and Villa last season, one which I made last night :icon_lol:

You could also use David Moyes at Everton as an example of a club willing to ride the storm of a poor transitional season or two.

Guest stevieintoon

You could also use David Moyes at Everton as an example of a club willing to ride the storm of a poor transitional season or two.

For every David Moyes at Everton, there's five Walter Smith's at Everton.

and a couple of Mike Walker's.

Guest stevieintoon

and a couple of Mike Walker's.

aye but in fairness Walker didn't get the four years Smith did, he saved them from relegation in 3 months, with the help of Segers and Asian syndicates, and was chased 6 months later.