Sam turns down loan move for Ameobi

Scottish Mag

SAM Allardyce has blocked a loan move for Shola Ameobi by former Newcastle United boss Glenn Roeder.

New Norwich City manager Roeder wanted to take his former striker to Carrow Road to freshen up his attack, as he bids to stave off the threat of relegation to League One.

But his assistant Lee Clark was told by Allardyce that Ameobi – who was pulled out of the squad for Saturday's derby against Sunderland at the Stadium of Light because of illness – was going nowhere.

Ameobi has been just a bit-part player this season for Allardyce, making just one Premier League start and two in the Carling Cup.

And a lack of football is clearly frustrating the 26-year-old, who believes he is now at an age where he needs to be playing week in, week out.

However, Ameobi – who has scored 46 goals for the club since making his debut against Chelsea in September 2000 – could have a big part to play in the second-half of the season, with top scorer Obafemi Martins leaving for the African Nations Cup in Ghana in January.

Fellow forward Mark Viduka has also missed a number of games through injury.

And Allardyce – who tipped Ameobi for England honours at the start of the campaign – feels he can bring a physical presence to the front line in Viduka's absence.

Roeder, meanwhile, could return for midfielder Matty Pattison, who has not played yet played a game for Allardyce.

SAM Allardyce has blocked a loan move for Shola Ameobi by former Newcastle United boss Glenn Roeder.

New Norwich City manager Roeder wanted to take his former striker to Carrow Road to freshen up his attack, as he bids to stave off the threat of relegation to League One.

But his assistant Lee Clark was told by Allardyce that Ameobi – who was pulled out of the squad for Saturday's derby against Sunderland at the Stadium of Light because of illness – was going nowhere.

Ameobi has been just a bit-part player this season for Allardyce, making just one Premier League start and two in the Carling Cup.

And a lack of football is clearly frustrating the 26-year-old, who believes he is now at an age where he needs to be playing week in, week out.

However, Ameobi – who has scored 46 goals for the club since making his debut against Chelsea in September 2000 – could have a big part to play in the second-half of the season, with top scorer Obafemi Martins leaving for the African Nations Cup in Ghana in January.

Fellow forward Mark Viduka has also missed a number of games through injury.

And Allardyce – who tipped Ameobi for England honours at the start of the campaign – feels he can bring a physical presence to the front line in Viduka's absence.

Roeder, meanwhile, could return for midfielder Matty Pattison, who has not played yet played a game for Allardyce.

:icon_lol:

I'd be inclined to let Shola go. I reckon he'd do well and we might sell him to another Championship club or a Premier League club for a decent price (see Chopra). A striker would get injured the second he went like.

Can't see a problem in letting him go at all as long as he could be recalled in the event of a nuclear holocost that wiped out the remainder of the human race.

Can't see a problem in letting him go at all as long as he could be recalled in the event of a nuclear holocost that wiped out the remainder of the human race.

Joking apart, it's season or half-season loans only now isn't it?

I think you are right now you mention it Alex, stupid ruling if you ask me.

That's what Allardyce said and the FA told him he was wrong iirc.

Since Viduka always misses games with injury, Owen could be out with soemthing at anytime and Martins will be in Africa we'd have to bring another striker in before letting him go i reckon.

However i do think a loan move to the championship would be good for Shola and down the line us like Alex said in terms of selling him on.

Since Viduka always misses games with injury, Owen could be out with soemthing at anytime and Martins will be in Africa we'd have to bring another striker in before letting him go i reckon.

However i do think a loan move to the championship would be good for Shola and down the line us like Alex said in terms of selling him on.

Problem is, iirc, he's only got one year left after this one on his contract.

Shola gone?.?...Roeder you are a saint. :icon_lol:

While you are at it, use Delia's money to help us rid of Pattison, Ramage, Babayaro and Carr. Say 4m for the lot...

True, much as plenty of people here hate him/think he's shite one way or another we want to get decent money for him if he's moved on rather than lose him for free or next to nothing where he could do what Chopra did in the championship and end up being sold for alot more later.

True, much as plenty of people here hate him/think he's shite one way or another we want to get decent money for him if he's moved on rather than lose him for free or next to nothing where he could do what Chopra did in the championship and end up being sold for alot more later.

Agree, he's fucked us over for long enough with his inept performances