Website agrees Ebbsfleet takeover

Meenzer

Website agrees Ebbsfleet takeover

Fans' community website MyFootballClub has agreed a deal to take over Blue Square Premier outfit Ebbsfleet United.

The 20,000 MyFootballClub members have each paid £35 to provide a £700,000 takeover pot and they will all own an equal share in the club.

Members will have a vote on transfers as well as player selection and all major decisions.

"We are united in believing this is a great opportunity," Ebbsfleet chairman Jason Botley told BBC Sport.

"This extra finance and support will enable our club to progress."

The deal is expected to be completed in a few weeks after a due diligence process and the website will purchase a 51% controlling stake, while also having the option to buy the club outright in the future.

The takeover is a landmark for English football, given the website's stated intention of involving the members so radically in the running of the club, particularly with team selection.

After the takeover goes through the current board will stay in place, as will manager Liam Daish, although his title will change to head coach.

Daish insisted that he was happy for fans to have an input on team matters.

"Picking 11 players and formations isn't a precise science and luck often plays its part," stated the Ebbsfleet boss.

"During and after matches, Ebbsfleet supporters often give me their opinion on which players should or shouldn't start games. Now they can have their say.

"My job won't change that much. As a club, we'll select the starting 11 players and formation together.

"But just as before, what goes on at the training ground and in the dressing room on the day of the match is down to me.

"It's the supporters' money that finances this club and pays my wages and those of the players.

"So there's a good argument for them having a say in what players they want to see."

Ebbsfleet were formerly Gravesend and Northfleet but the club's name was changed in May in a bid to tap into the regeneration of the area.

They are currently ninth in the Blue Square Premier, six points off a play-off place for entry to the Football League.

And Ebbsfleet's push for a spot in League Two will receive a boost as some of the funds raised by MyFootballClub members will be available in the January transfer window.

MyFootballClub members will be given the option to vote on who the club should buy.

Daish added that he was fully behind the radical model for the club.

"We all agree we need something extra to take us to the next step," he said.

"As a football fan, I think the MyFootballClub idea is fantastic.

"As the coach, I look forward to the challenge of working with thousands of members to produce a winning team.

"My assistant Alan Kimble and myself are 100% committed to making this work."

Since the website's launch in April, 50,000 members have signed up, with 20,000 of those paying the registration fee.

The membership subscription is paid annually so new members can join and become owners at any time, adding to the club's finances.

MyFootballClub was approached by nine clubs and looked into seven of those before opting to take over Ebbsfleet.

The Financial Services Authority has approved the setting up of the MyFootballClub Trust to safeguard members' interests in the eventuality of the club running into financial difficulties.

"The MyFootballClub ownership model is an innovative way of funding a lower league club," said Dan Jones, partner at Deloitte and editor of the Annual Review of Football Finance.

"Reports of having raised over £700,000 in 11 weeks suggests it is viable too.

"Deloitte has been following its progress with interest and we're now looking forward to offering our experience in football finance to assist with advice and guidance during the due diligence process."

MyFootballClub creator Will Brooks added: "We hope that MyFootballClub members and Ebbsfleet supporters will join forces and make the football club more sustainable and successful."

Jessica McQueen, Ebbsfleet United Supporters' Trust chair commented: "Being a Trust, our members understand the MyFootballClub concept immediately.

"We very much look forward to working with the MyFootballClub members for the benefit of Ebbsfleet United."

Could be interesting. Could be horrendous!

Would be good idea to get a website together for North Easterners and look to take over one of these struggling non-league teams around here. At least you're not having to look at results all the way down Sarf.

I'm in. Have to admit I was hoping for something of a bigger team.

I'm ok about the team but worried about the fact they've only bought 51% when the whole idea was to own the club outright.

Can see us paying them dividends of 35 quid each season regardless of how much money is actually coming in.

I'm ok about the team but worried about the fact they've only bought 51% when the whole idea was to own the club outright.

Can see us paying them dividends of 35 quid each season regardless of how much money is actually coming in.

I smell a vote rigging scandle, Ebbsfleet was the most voted for club? :icon_lol:

I smell a vote rigging scandle, Ebbsfleet was the most voted for club? :)

Good point actually. And that spelling? Teacher you say? :rolleyes::icon_lol:

Good point actually. And that spelling? Teacher you say? :):rolleyes:

You say :rolleyes: (or is it just to throw you off the track :panic::icon_lol::icon_lol:)

You say :rolleyes: (or is it just to throw you off the track :panic::icon_lol::icon_lol:)

Scandleus

You say :rolleyes: (or is it just to throw you off the track :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:)

Scandleus

A good crack? :panic:

Scandleus

Plays CF for Panithanaikos

• 5 months later...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/e...onf/7382167.stm

Ebbsfleet 1-0 Torquay

Chris McPhee's first-half strike earned Ebbsfleet victory in the FA Trophy final against Torquay at Wembley.

McPhee went from villain to hero after he saw a first-half penalty expertly saved by Martin Rice, making amends by tapping in John Akinde's cross.

Akinde hit the post after the break before Torquay fought back, Tim Sills' header cleared off the line.

Elliott Benyon had a golden chance to level late on but he headed wide from six yards and Ebbsfleet held on.

Ebbsfleet United: Cronin, Hawkins, Opinel, Smith, McCarthy, Long (MacDonald 84), McPhee, Barrett, Bostwick, Akinde, Moore.

Subs Not Used: Ricketts, Purcell, Mott, Eribenne.

Booked: McCarthy, Smith, Moore.

Goals: McPhee 45.

Torquay: Rice, Nicholson, Woods, Todd, Mansell, Sills (Hill 88), Phillips (Stevens 46), Hargreaves, D'Sane (Benyon 66), Adams, Zebroski.

Subs Not Used: Robertson, Hockley.

Booked: Rice.

Att: 40,186.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/e...onf/7382167.stm

Ebbsfleet 1-0 Torquay

Chris McPhee's first-half strike earned Ebbsfleet victory in the FA Trophy final against Torquay at Wembley.

McPhee went from villain to hero after he saw a first-half penalty expertly saved by Martin Rice, making amends by tapping in John Akinde's cross.

Akinde hit the post after the break before Torquay fought back, Tim Sills' header cleared off the line.

Elliott Benyon had a golden chance to level late on but he headed wide from six yards and Ebbsfleet held on.

Ebbsfleet United: Cronin, Hawkins, Opinel, Smith, McCarthy, Long (MacDonald 84), McPhee, Barrett, Bostwick, Akinde, Moore.

Subs Not Used: Ricketts, Purcell, Mott, Eribenne.

Booked: McCarthy, Smith, Moore.

Goals: McPhee 45.

Torquay: Rice, Nicholson, Woods, Todd, Mansell, Sills (Hill 88), Phillips (Stevens 46), Hargreaves, D'Sane (Benyon 66), Adams, Zebroski.

Subs Not Used: Robertson, Hockley.

Booked: Rice.

Att: 40,186.

Did you have to post that Jimbo? :D