Owen out for a month

Happy Face

Owen out for up to a month

NEWCASTLE'S Michael Owen could be out of action for up to a month after his latest injury setback.

The striker limped out of England's 1-0 friendly win in Austria last night after suffering a thigh strain.

He will definitely miss England's final Euro 2008 qualifer against Croatia at Wembley on Wednesday night.

And Magpies boss Sam Allardyce will also have to do without him when his former club Liverpool come to St James's Park next Saturday.

Owen signalled his discomfort almost immediately after suffering the problem just 32 minutes

into the victory.

Early reports suggest a month on the sidelines for England's fourth-highest all-time scorer.

Owen had just been responsible for England's first shot on target, after slick build-up play from Steven Gerrard and Crouch saw his first-time shot superbly tipped over by Alex Manninger.

Coach Steve McClaren refused to blame the freezing conditions in Vienna last night for Owen's latest injury blow.

"The conditions were perfect," he said. "It wasn't even that cold. We trained at Arsenal on Thursday morning and it was colder than that."

Midfielder Steven Gerrard admitted losing Owen for the Croatia game.

"It is always a minus when you lose a player like Michael Owen, one of the best goalscorers in the world. He is our top goalscorer.

"But it is an opportunity for someone else on Wednesday night and that goal will have done Peter Crouch's confidence no harm."

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/Owen-o...p-to.3496955.jp

Games in the next month...

Liverpool H

Blackburn A

Arsenal H

Birmingham H

Fulham A

It's the Shields gazette like so you can bank on him being fit for Blackburn.

Edited by Happy Face

Anyone bothered, he's never been a Newcastle player since he signed tbh

Yeah I would say I'm bothered that one of our strikers is injured for a month. Especially when this could potentially signal the return of Shola to the first 11 (Viduka injury-prone, only needs someone else to pick up a knock and in walks Shola).

At least when they go out today it might make him realise that he only has one thing left to concentrate on for the rest of this season - NUFC.

Shola is horrible prospect but don't forget Smith.

How long til the African Nations starts?

could be Smith and Shola upfront what with Oba in them and Vidukas record during the cold winter months :)

Stop it :(

How long til the African Nations starts?

could be Smith and Shola upfront what with Oba in them and Vidukas record during the cold winter months :(

Stop it B)

I wouldnt want to go for an aftermatch drink with MattM4 and Gemmill if it happened :)

At least when they go out today it might make him realise that he only has one thing left to concentrate on for the rest of this season - NUFC.

Shola is horrible prospect but don't forget Smith.

Yes, that fills me with hope. :)

Fro; the BBC site, McClaren: "England are haunted by injuries"

:) How annoying is that quote... You can't keep tempting fate and then complain when it suddenly goes wrong. What a bunch of morons.

Anyone bothered, he's never been a Newcastle player since he signed tbh

Yeah I would say I'm bothered that one of our strikers is injured for a month. Especially when this could potentially signal the return of Shola to the first 11 (Viduka injury-prone, only needs someone else to pick up a knock and in walks Shola).

Will he be missed? imo 'no', were not used to him being available anyway - fact