Michael Owen is injured ...The long night is over ..joy cometh in the morning

Sensiemella101

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats y I laugh when many ppl here say Martins has no quality....He took out that whole defence with one simple move

In fairness he was a student of Bruce Lee's in the late 60's.

Just as an aside, this seems to be a continental thing, being a fan of a player, rather than a team. I remember a few lads raving about one player or other then disappearing as soon as the player was discovered as the average player he was. Kluivert springs to mind.

I'm not saying Oba is average, I'm just curious as to why somebody would be a fan of one player rather than a team?

Has a lot to do with age I think. Most will be in their late teens/early 20s. I guess having discovered football and said player in early teens and idolised them all the way.

... Like Alan Shearer for some people.

Just as an aside, this seems to be a continental thing, being a fan of a player, rather than a team. I remember a few lads raving about one player or other then disappearing as soon as the player was discovered as the average player he was. Kluivert springs to mind.

I'm not saying Oba is average, I'm just curious as to why somebody would be a fan of one player rather than a team?

I can only speak from my perspective ...i am not from the British Isles therefore have no physical ties with Newcastle. However as a kid I enjoyed watching ur Newcastle play ..I was even a bigger fan in the Robson days but since then ur board /owners/coaches have undone all the good work that Sir Booby had done. I still have a soft spot for newcastle however but I am not a diehard like most of u. There is too much good football being played these days to be fixated by one club especially if u don't have any communal ties with that club..

I have been a big fan of Martins since he was at Inter ....and I was amazed by his pace, skill on the ball and he had a wondrous eye for goal....But Italy is a pretty demanding league and even though he scored a lot of goals for them ...he was always behind Adriano and Vieri in the pecking order...

I thought at Newcastle ..he would have been given a chance to shine but I find the fans have been particularly harsh on the lad...He has a pretty good scoring record for u..Whether u like it or not the club would have been relegated if it was'nt for his goals (most of which were unassisted) and yet he has been demoted to a mere squad player under big Sam despite being top goalscorer.

The fact is that if he leaves I will still support Newcastle but I must admit I am a bigger fan of Oba..

Kluivert was played with Ameobi or Shearer more than not, and bloody Souness was in charge. I'd like to see how he woiuld have done playing with Bellamy more. He was no worse than Kanu is now for portsmouth, its just portsmouth use Kanu in the proper system he should play in, Kluivert wasn't used properly for the benefit of the team.

I saw Harry Redknapp talking/writing about D'Alesandro recently. He was a revelation for them when he went there on loan and is no doubt a fantastic little player, but Harry recognises that he wouldn't want him back because he woudln't fit into the system that has proved so successful for Portsmouth this season.

Michael Owen apart from the odd-goal he's scored hasn't looked as beneficial to the TEAM for me as MArtins has witht he system and the way we are playing at the moment. Martins can get a goal out of nothing, has provided a couple of assists this season, and works his socks off whenever he has played under Sam. Not saying Martins is the better player, but he has proved more effective this season than Owen so I'm looking forward to seeing what he cna do now that he has a run of games to play in.

I hope you didn't think I was having a go, just curious. Your flag is greek, have you no communal ties to any greek sides?

(Don't get me wrong, the more Newcastle fans the better, but I'm unable to understand why you'd support a player over a club? Surely you don't get the community, the shared joy and pain?)

Kluivert was played with Ameobi or Shearer more than not, and bloody Souness was in charge. I'd like to see how he woiuld have done playing with Bellamy more. He was no worse than Kanu is now for portsmouth, its just portsmouth use Kanu in the proper system he should play in, Kluivert wasn't used properly for the benefit of the team.

I saw Harry Redknapp talking/writing about D'Alesandro recently. He was a revelation for them when he went there on loan and is no doubt a fantastic little player, but Harry recognises that he wouldn't want him back because he woudln't fit into the system that has proved so successful for Portsmouth this season.

Michael Owen apart from the odd-goal he's scored hasn't looked as beneficial to the TEAM for me as MArtins has witht he system and the way we are playing at the moment. Martins can get a goal out of nothing, has provided a couple of assists this season, and works his socks off whenever he has played under Sam. Not saying Martins is the better player, but he has proved more effective this season than Owen so I'm looking forward to seeing what he cna do now that he has a run of games to play in.

:)

I'm not sure what provoked that post...

:)

I'm not sure what provoked that post...

A throat infection and fever on a grim sunday afternoon..... =/

I hope you didn't think I was having a go, just curious. Your flag is greek, have you no communal ties to any greek sides?

(Don't get me wrong, the more Newcastle fans the better, but I'm unable to understand why you'd support a player over a club? Surely you don't get the community, the shared joy and pain?)

lol...i like ur tongue in cheek reply

I am not greek..nor do I support Sunderland....

I support football and attractive football and I enjoyed watching Newcastle play as a boy so they still have a measure of my support

I would love to see goals like that from martins, but in 18 months he hasnt scored any as good as those.(except against spurs) Is that lose of form/confidence, or it it cause of tighter defenses? Its unlikely he will get the time and space to be allowed such shooting chances in the league.

He may shine in a cup game this season though.

I would love to see goals like that from martins, but in 18 months he hasnt scored any as good as those.(except against spurs) Is that lose of form/confidence, or it it cause of tighter defenses? Its unlikely he will get the time and space to be allowed such shooting chances in the league.

He may shine in a cup game this season though.

I guess sometimes ppl see what they want to see.

Martins has already scored a few gems this season ...

Look posting a clip of Owen during his Liverpool only highlights the difference btw Michael Owen then and now. he is still an excellent finisher but when is the last time u've seen him outpace a defender...

Secondly that Liverpool side was designed to make Owen look good...It was a team that would absorb a lot of presssure and hit u with the fast break...The fact was that Owen is prolific when a side is built around him.. Martins played essentially as a lone striker last season in a side team that could'nt string more than 3 passes together and almost scored 20 goals...Y is'nt he being given a chance this season