United to miss out on Hutton

Scottish Mag

NEWCASTLE United are set to lose out with long-time target Alan Hutton, with Sir Alex Ferguson now in pole position to sign the Rangers wonderkid.

The defender played in Scotland's 2-1 defeat to Italy at Hampden Park on Saturday.

And Hutton - who signed a new five-year deal at Ibrox in the summer - was watched by United scout Paul Montgomery, who has revealed the Glasgow-born right-back has been on Newcastle's radar for some time.

But Manchester United boss Sir Alex is now favourite to land the 22-year-old, who is a regular in Walter Smith's Rangers side and established in Alex McLeish's Scotland set-up.

Ferguson is looking for a long-term replacement for Gary Neville, who has been beset by injury problems this season.

Montgomery said: "I worked with Alex (McLeish) at Ibrox for a couple of years and like everyone else, I was desperately sorry at the way Scotlandwent out after doing brilliant in their group. It was all such an anti-climax.

"I was sitting quite close to the Scotland dug-out and I only had a brief word with Alex, but obviously while he was proud at what Scotland had done he was bitterly disappointed.

"As far as Alan Hutton's concerned, he's a player who was brought into Ibrox when Alex was in charge and a player I've kept on eye on since then."

Montgomery once also tried to bring Bayern Munich striker and World Cup winner Luca Toni - who scored Italy's opener at Hampden - to St James's Park before last summer's World Cup.

Glenn Roeder was United manager at the time, and looking to strengthen his attack.

Montgomery added: "At the time Toni was playing for Fiorentina and he was probably available for around a million.

"But within a year, his value had shot up and he moved to Bayern Munich in the summer for £7.7m."

Guest stevieintoon

Delighted about this to be honest. The last truly great Scottish player to move to England was Gat McCallister and that was nearly 20 years ago. Old Firm fans are without question the most deluded I've experienced in the world of football. I remember many Rangers fans saying when we signed Jean Alain Boumsong, that is was a step back for him, and we'd be a stepping stone to Real Madrid for him.

I remember Celtic fans saying Stilian Petrov was worth more than £15m, he's been utterly shit for Villa. I remember Rangers fans saying Barry Ferguson take the limelight off Paul Scholes, and Roy Keane if he ever signed for them. I've heard fans of both clubs say they're bigger than Liverpool, Arsenal and Man Utd :) You get the point anyway.

Anyone even half decent in Scotland is classed as world class in Scotland. The only three world class players the league has had in the last 20 years who weren't finished were Gazza, Laudrup and Larsson.

So based on that I'm thrilled to bits Man Utd will be signing Alan Hutton. I've seen evry little of him, but he seems to leave his defensive responsibilities too often. Man Utd signed Liam Miller, based on the gobbing off of the Scottish public, media, and one decent performance in the CL against Lyon, I'm delighted we have lost out on this player.

If the lad can play like he did against Italy at 22 then he may go on to be one of the finest british right backs =) Defensively he was very positionally aware, and offensively he had an engine like Cafu as well as making himself a presence aerially at set plays.

Guest stevieintoon
If the lad can play like he did against Italy at 22 then he may go on to be one of the finest british right backs =) Defensively he was very positionally aware, and offensively he had an engine like Cafu as well as making himself a presence aerially at set plays.

:)

Delighted about this to be honest. The last truly great Scottish player to move to England was Gat McCallister and that was nearly 20 years ago. Old Firm fans are without question the most deluded I've experienced in the world of football. I remember many Rangers fans saying when we signed Jean Alain Boumsong, that is was a step back for him, and we'd be a stepping stone to Real Madrid for him.

I remember Celtic fans saying Stilian Petrov was worth more than £15m, he's been utterly shit for Villa. I remember Rangers fans saying Barry Ferguson take the limelight off Paul Scholes, and Roy Keane if he ever signed for them. I've heard fans of both clubs say they're bigger than Liverpool, Arsenal and Man Utd B) You get the point anyway.

Anyone even half decent in Scotland is classed as world class in Scotland. The only three world class players the league has had in the last 20 years who weren't finished were Gazza, Laudrup and Larsson.

So based on that I'm thrilled to bits Man Utd will be signing Alan Hutton. I've seen evry little of him, but he seems to leave his defensive responsibilities too often. Man Utd signed Liam Miller, based on the gobbing off of the Scottish public, media, and one decent performance in the CL against Lyon, I'm delighted we have lost out on this player.

It's very hard to read this post without hearing it in a "ner, didn't want him anyway, he's just smelly and I hate him nerrrr, and I'm taking my ball and going home! B) " kind of way. :)

obviously I know nothing about Hutton and have no opinion on his potential signature until I see evidence for or against his capture, I was merely commenting upon a seemingly petulant comment :(

Guest stevieintoon

I remember Celtic fans saying Stilian Petrov was worth more than £15m, he's been utterly shit for Villa. I remember Rangers fans saying Barry Ferguson take the limelight off Paul Scholes, and Roy Keane if he ever signed for them. I've heard fans of both clubs say they're bigger than Liverpool, Arsenal and Man Utd :( You get the point anyway.

It's very hard to read this post without hearing it in a "ner, didn't want him anyway, he's just smelly and I hate him nerrrr, and I'm taking my ball and going home! B) " kind of way. :)

It's very hard for me to read any of your posts without thinking "this blokes a cunt".

I remember Celtic fans saying Stilian Petrov was worth more than £15m, he's been utterly shit for Villa. I remember Rangers fans saying Barry Ferguson take the limelight off Paul Scholes, and Roy Keane if he ever signed for them. I've heard fans of both clubs say they're bigger than Liverpool, Arsenal and Man Utd B) You get the point anyway.

It's very hard to read this post without hearing it in a "ner, didn't want him anyway, he's just smelly and I hate him nerrrr, and I'm taking my ball and going home! :( " kind of way. :)

It's very hard for me to read any of your posts without thinking "this blokes a cunt".

:( Lets just say you both have your moments. B)

Did you watch the whole game on Sat? right up until the end the lad was up and down that right hand side

Guest stevieintoon

Did you watch the whole game on Sat? right up until the end the lad was up and down that right hand side

I seen Paul Sweeney play like Paolo Maldini in a one off game against Derby in the ZDS Cup, didn't make him CL winning material. If Hutton goes to be world class I'll hold my hands up, but what has he done in his career to date? He was getting slagged off Rangers fans under McPish, LeGoon, that tells me a lot.

ahh taking the high road again eh Steve?

Will your ability to have a civil conversation be arriving on the same bus as Baines, I wonder?

:(

Will your ability to have a civil conversation be arriving on the same bus as Baines, I wonder?

OMG! The Baines genie is unlocked!

Guest stevieintoon

I think there's three people on here who come across as condenscending nobheads who I find it difficult to have a civil conversation with, the rest I can quite easily. A selection of people are geeks, but harmless, there's a good few who come across great people, and there's also your Heaton/Byker/Walker/North Shields/Blyth chrava type who still contribute well thinking of no one in particular. Which bracket would you put yourself in? The Scots on here are the most knowledgable about football, least likely to annoy, which is surprising.

I think there's three people on here who come across as condenscending nobheads who I find it difficult to have a civil conversation with, the rest I can quite easily. A selection of people are geeks, but harmless, there's a good few who come across great people, and there's also your Heaton/Byker/Walker/North Shields/Blyth chrava type who still contribute well thinking of no one in particular. Which bracket would you put yourself in? The Scots on here are the most knowledgable about football, least likely to annoy, which is surprising.

You still have the old magic Stevie. :)

Glenn Roeder was United manager at the time, and looking to strengthen his attack.

Montgomery added: "At the time Toni was playing for Fiorentina and he was probably available for around a million.

"But within a year, his value had shot up and he moved to Bayern Munich in the summer for £7.7m."

Bollocks.

Is that aimed at me you Cunt :)

Guest stevieintoon

B)

Is that aimed at me you Cunt :(

No you never entered my head :)

B)

Is that aimed at me you Cunt B)

No you never entered my head :)

I'll take your word for it :( :(

I remember Celtic fans saying Stilian Petrov was worth more than £15m, he's been utterly shit for Villa. I remember Rangers fans saying Barry Ferguson take the limelight off Paul Scholes, and Roy Keane if he ever signed for them. I've heard fans of both clubs say they're bigger than Liverpool, Arsenal and Man Utd :) You get the point anyway.

jock league = crap. Jocks = gobshites

I seen Paul Sweeney play like Paolo Maldini in a one off game against Derby in the ZDS Cup, didn't make him CL winning material. If Hutton goes to be world class I'll hold my hands up, but what has he done in his career to date? He was getting slagged off Rangers fans under McPish, LeGoon, that tells me a lot.

Bullshit you'll just skulk off for a week or two and then be back spouting the same brainless moronic shit you always do. It's not as if you've got a history of being honourable and owning up to being wrong is it now?

Bullshit you'll just skulk off for a week or two and then be back spouting the same brainless moronic shit you always do. It's not as if you've got a history of being honourable and owning up to being wrong is it now?