Sam back in for Ben Haim

Scottish Mag

TAL Ben Haim has re-emerged as a Newcastle United target - just five months after Sam Allardyce lost out to Chelsea in the race to sign the Israeli defender.

Ben Haim played his part in Israel's 2-1 qualifying win over Russia on Saturday, the win meaning England's Euro 2008 destiny is back in their own hands when they take on Croatia at Wembley on Wednesday night.

Allardyce brought the no-nonsense defender to English football during his time as Bolton Wanderers manager in the summer of 2004, and he was one of the first players he tried to sign after succeeding Glenn Roeder as United manager in May.

But he lost out to then Chelsea boss JoseMourinho, who landed the 25-year-old on a free transfer.

However, Ben Haim has made just seven appearances for the Stamford Bridge club so far this season, and the frustrated former Maccabi Tel Aviv centre-half is understood to be keen to link up again with Allardyce at St James's Park, despite his countryman Avram Grant having succeeded Mourinho.

Allardyce signed two centre-halves in the summer – David Rozehnal and Abdoulaye Faye – and could strengthen again if the right player is available in January, despite the continuing development of homegrown defender Steven Taylor.

And Ben Haim could be allowed to leave the West London club for a nominal fee.

Allardyce also had Russia and Zenit Sainter Petersburg forward Andrei Arshavin watched at the Ramat Gan Stadium.

But it was combative Ben Haim's performance that most caught the eye of Newcastle's representative in Tel Aviv.

:(

Surely if we are going to buy any defenders it should be a right back, and then left back cover.

Ben Haim can play all across the back can't he? :)

Plus Big Sam might be going for 3 at the back. All though Taylor and Geremi can play right back if needed.

do we need him? we've got taylor, rozenhal, faye, cacapa and beye that can all play at centre back. plus ramage to return from injury if we're desperate.

i'd sooner sam looked at some creative forward options as that's where we're painfully short.

:(

Surely if we are going to buy any defenders it should be a right back, and then left back cover.

Ben Haim can play all across the back can't he? :)

Plus Big Sam might be going for 3 at the back. All though Taylor and Geremi can play right back if needed.

Round pegs....

Taylor looks especially shit at right back. His roaming leaves the defense far more exposed.

I thought there was a rule that players weren't supposed to transfer teams twice in a league in one season and we only got round that with Boumsong because he came from a Scottish league. However, I think Liverpool found some way around it when they bought Mascharano (or however you spelt it) from West Ham so no doubt we can could up with some excuse.

I don't actually think Ben Haim is better than Taylor. He's been found out at Chelsea for being very average and pretty slow and I'd rather we spent our money on a soilid right back if this Beye fella turns out to be a flop.

Edited by bassplayerjj

I thought there was a rule that players weren't supposed to transfer teams twice in a league in one season and we only got round that with Boumsong because he came from a Scottish league. However, I think Liverpool found some way around it when they bought Mascharano (or however you spelt it) from West Ham so no doubt we can could up with some excuse.

You're not allowed to play for 3 different club teams between July 1st and June 30th, I don't think loan deals count.

As for Ben Haim, I think he could form a good partnership with Faye, I don't remember them ever playing at centre back together as Faye only played there when Ben Haim played at left back when Gardner was out, Bolton conceded more than us last season (before someone points it out) but that's more to do with Hunt, Gardner and Meite being garbage.

For a million, and considering how some people have slated the central defenders recently, I don't see where the problem is.

It's our destiny to take perfectly good CD's and turn them into shit...However it might be the case that Chelsea have beaten us to it this time.

Could he sign for two clubs in the same 12 months ?

I don't think so, but as someone said earlier with Mascherano who knows.

You're not allowed to play for 3 different club teams between July 1st and June 30th.

Guest stevieintoon

You're not allowed to play for 3 different club teams between July 1st and June 30th.

Did Ben Haim play for Bolton this season? I can't remember.

I mind when you said Nolan had a shite touch Baggio. :)

No, he was out of contract at the end of last season.

Nolan's shite tbf, Stevie.

Guest stevieintoon

No, he was out of contract at the end of last season.

Nolan's shite tbf, Stevie.

I think he's a class player who would be amazing in a decent team, seems a sound lad as well.

For a million, and considering how some people have slated the central defenders recently, I don't see where the problem is.

It's our destiny to take perfectly good CD's and turn them into shit...However it might be the case that Chelsea have beaten us to it this time.

never mind defenders, for the past few year who ever has come to Newcastle they've turned fucking shit. Owen and Emre back my case

Edited by bawan

never mind defenders, for the past few year who ever has come to Newcastle they've turned fucking. Owen and Emre back my case

They've turned fucking, eh? :)

Sign him up. He was clearly the best defender at Bolton. He's quick enough, strong enough, can read the play very well. He'd be first choice at centre back if he came here.

Bring him in Sam!