Would you rather have Shearer or Bellamy?

Asprilla

Shearer....

Simple reason, his style of play will compliment Owen more than Bellamy's would.

Owen and Bellamy are too similar in playing style IMO, if we had them two up front, what would be the point in playing with width - no one to head the ball!

Don't get me wrong, Shearer has 1 season left whereas Bellamy may have another 10. But we need to replace him with a player of his style next summer, not another Owen...

If we still had Bellamy, we'd never have got Owen.

Shearer....

Simple reason, his style of play will compliment Owen more than Bellamy's would.

Owen and Bellamy are too similar in playing style IMO, if we had them two up front, what would be the point in playing with width - no one to head the ball!

Don't get me wrong, Shearer has 1 season left whereas Bellamy may have another 10. But we need to replace him with a player of his style next summer, not another Owen...

33838[/snapback]

You don't need to have people heading the ball all the time, look at Henry, he's shite in the air, so Arsenal pass it on the deck, simple.

Shearer has nearly had it, he doesn't particularly compliment anyone nowadays, though in the past he could play with anybody, and when he was younger him and Owen weren't a great pairing anyway as shown for England.

It doesn't matter if players are similar at all as long as they're good and show intelligent movement like Bellamy and Owen do. And width isn't all about crossing for headers, its also about stretching oppositon defences, making space and playing better football but the end result doesn't have to be a cross into the box.

Shearer will end his career a legend and a better player than Bellamy will ever be, but to pick the current Shearer over the current Bellamy is insanity based solely on what they'd do on the pitch.

Edited by Papa Lazaru

Shearer....

33838[/snapback]

You don't need to have people heading the ball all the time, look at Henry, he's shite in the air, so Arsenal pass it on the deck, simple.

Shearer has nearly had it, he doesn't particularly compliment anyone nowadays, though in the past he could play with anybody, and when he was younger him and Owen weren't a great pairing anyway as shown for England.

It doesn't matter if players are similar at all as long as they're good and show intelligent movement like Bellamy and Owen do. And width isn't all about crossing for headers, its also about stretching oppositon defences, making space and playing better football but the end result doesn't have to be a cross into the box.

Shearer will end his career a legend and a better player than Bellamy will ever be, but to pick the current Shearer over the current Bellamy is insanity based solely on what they'd do on the pitch.

33843[/snapback]

We've been crying out for width all summer, we've been supplied it in the shape of Solano and Luque and it would effectively be wasted if we didn't have a man in the middle who could do something in the air....

Bellamy. Shearer can win the ball in the air but he is no longer able to do anything with it - he would be better use in the midfield if that's what we want.

Also what was the point of buying EMre and Luque if we were not going to be playing it on the ground. As it is our first choice midfield is too short to compete in the air.

Shearer....

33838[/snapback]

Xenophobe!

For those of you saying Bellamy, how about a new angle on it.?

When Shearer retires next season, do you want the person who will partner Michael Owen in 2006/07 to be of the Shearer mould or the Bellamy mould??

The fact is that however you look at the 'Shearer or Bellamy' question, it's all hypothetical. If you're asking that question then you may as well base it on when both players were at their prime because.

1. Craig Bellamy no longer plays for Newcastle United.

2. Michael Owen would never have arrived if he did.

Depends on who the then manager will be. :lol:

33951[/snapback]

Heard on Legends last night (first time I have tuned in for 6 months or so - and it will be another 6 before I do again!) that there are rumours running around that Souness will be sacked if we don't beat Blackbum.

I doubt it's true, but has anyone heard out??

For those of you saying Bellamy, how about a new angle on it.?

When Shearer retires next season, do you want the person who will partner Michael Owen in 2006/07 to be of the Shearer mould or the Bellamy mould??

The fact is that however you look at the 'Shearer or Bellamy' question, it's all hypothetical. If you're asking that question then you may as well base it on when both players were at their prime because.

1. Craig Bellamy no longer plays for Newcastle United.

2. Michael Owen would never have arrived if he did.

33939[/snapback]

Thats a better question and one which actually will happen! But i totally disagree that Owen wouldn't be here if Bellamy was. Even somebody as thick as Souness knows we are still sort of strikers and that Shearer is retiring so we are a further striker down and if he hadn't fallen out with Bellamy he'd have been more than happy to have him and Owen. And Souness himself has said Owen was one of the few people who could replace Shearer (not Bellamy) thats who he brought him in to replace.

As for the question, technically the striker doesn't have to be in the mould of either, he could be a bit of both. And there aren't many in the Shearer mould left now anyway, so the striker is likely to be closer to Bellamy than Shearer i imagine.

I don't care really, as long as they are good, intelligent and score alot they will fit with Owen. People said Shearer/Ferdiand and Shearer/Ferguson wouldn't work, but they were good players and it did work, just as Bellamy/Owen would ahve worked.