Managers who you just knew weren't right

Guest stevieintoon

Guest stevieintoon

Call it psychic ability or plain common sense, but I'm sure many of you will be the same as me in that when a manager is appointed for a specific job, you know for a fact it will all end in tears. Maybe it just doesn't sound right them being at a certain club or perhaps there are more specific reasons why you think they're doomed before they start. I'll give you my top 5 doomed to failure before they've started managerial appointments.

1 Howard Wilkinson - Sunderland 2005

2 Steve McClaren - England 2006-2007

It's possible that many of you shared my view that the appointment would be a disaster. Make no bones about it the only one person who looks good following SMAC's reign is Eriksson. It was a ridiculous appointment for many reasons, not least Boro fans were glad to see the back of him. England were shit under Eriksson, and SMAC was a key part of the backroom staff, why on earth did the FA feel things would change under him? Without question they've got worse, unbelievably worse defensively.

3 Paul Le Guen - Rangers 2006

4 Graeme Souness - Newcastle United 2004-2006

5 Berti Vogts - Scotland 2003-2006

I have to think that one doomed to failure when going to a certain club was that Geordie lad from Gateshead who drove Sunderland down into the 3rd.Division.

Lawrie McNenemy.

can't see why it was obvious he was great for Southampton and the makems made him the one of the highest paid managers in the country. He was also interviewed for the England job

I have to think that one doomed to failure when going to a certain club was that Geordie lad from Gateshead who drove Sunderland down into the 3rd.Division.

Lawrie McNenemy.

can't see why it was obvious he was great for Southampton and the makems made him the one of the highest paid managers in the country. He was also interviewed for the England job

Oh aye, an' when he left Sunderland the fans referred to him as Lawrie Mackem-enemy.

Oh aye, an' he assisted that Taylor bloke who didn't get us into the Euro finals in 1994.

Oh aye an' he didn't do too well in Ireland either.

Sunderland were on a down-slide when they hired him and he helped them slide into the 3rd, Division for the first time in their history. Just because he did well at Dell didn't guarantee success at Roker.

Easy to say with the benefit of hindlegs tbh.

I said from the first second that Souness would not work.

It wasn't just his failure in general was predictable; his fallings out with Bellamy and Robert were certainties from the moment he was unveiled also.

Easy to say with the benefit of hindlegs tbh.

I said from the first second that Souness would not work.

It didn't take a genius to see McClaren, with a mediocre record at boro and being part of Sven's team was never going to work.

Chill out you bellsniffs! That's exactly my point-it was obvious to anyone who's reached the stage of evolution where theyve reared themselves up into a bipedal condition of ambulation.

Guest stevieintoon

Egil Olsen

Mike Walker (Everton)

The reason I mentioned Le Guen was he was a cultured footballer, and his Lyon team played cultured attractive football. In the neanderthal world of Scottish football, its impossible to play like that, because theres hardly not decent side in the entire league, you can count on three fingers how many Premiership quality players the league has, and the Scottish tendency to kick ten colours of shite out of each other, renderered Le Guen' managerial qualities null and void for that league. That's why I knew he would fail. The last great side in Scotland was probably Rangers in the early 90's apart from that it's been pub sides all the way.