Newcastle -v- Liverpool

Barney

Smith is a utility player and shows commitment and is closer to full fitness I suppose.

don't agree with that, but I believe that'd be his reasoning

Well, that's the theory but it's a myth. He's ineffectual in anything other than a forward role and even then he won't get you many goals. He's a canny player imo but £6million was a lot a 4th choice forward / Viduka's back-up* for a club who had a net spend of about £10m in the summer.

*How I see him rather than how Allardyce does.

He had a canny game up front with Martins against Everton. I would like to see him played there more often like you say as Vidukas replacement.

Agreed, the only position Alan Smith should play is striker, he's a poor midfielder.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get me wrong I don't think "Smudger" is a midfielder of note, I think he's being chosen because of the commitment he brings and the versatility of his game.

It's my honest opinion that Sam wants to incorporate certain players but hasn't yet found how they can work together. He's struggling with this rubiks cube and it's costing us points, but I also believe it's going to be better in the long run.

Don't get me wrong I don't think "Smudger" is a midfielder of note, I think he's being chosen because of the commitment he brings and the versatility of his game.

It's my honest opinion that Sam wants to incorporate certain players but hasn't yet found how they can work together. He's struggling with this rubiks cube and it's costing us points, but I also believe it's going to be better in the long run.

I think Smith is getting a disproportionate amount of games in midfield. ;)

Newcastle 0, Liverpool 3

Nov 26 2007 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

IN 28 years of covering the fortunes of Newcastle United, I have seen some really great days from the men in black-and-white shirts – and some truly awful ones.

But Saturday was as bad as it gets, for many reasons.

I cannot recall a game where not only have United not had a shot on target, but also failed to force a solitary corner.

And to do this in front of their own supporters is nothing short of a disgrace.

We have seen United concede six at Stamford Bridge, five at Old Trafford, Manchester United have put six past them at St James’ Park, and Birmingham City even scored five on Tyneside in the FA Cup last season.

Yet rarely have we seen a United defence as wide open as it was in the second half against Liverpool.

Rafael Benitez’s side scored three – but it could easily have been seven or eight.

That’s not all. I cannot remember the United supporters turning against their own manager so early in his reign as they did against Sam Allardyce on Saturday.

They booed his substitutions because they did not think Emre and Charles N’Zogbia should have been the ones brought off.

Well they were the lucky ones.

Even the match announcer got it in the neck when he bravely declared Alan Smith man of the match.

But all the boos for Steven Gerrard only served to inspire the England captain to give what can only be described as the perfect performance from midfield.

I hate to say it, but once Gerrard hammered his 30-yarder past Shay Given in the 28th minute, the game was as good as over.

Liverpool have a mean defence. At the moment United haven’t got a strike force. Not that it’s all their fault, because the service the front men are receiving from midfield is nil.

After watching the pre-season games this summer, I ventured the opinion that with Geremi, Joey Barton and Alan Smith backing up Nicky Butt, United at last had a team with bottle and that they would at least be hard to beat.

I certainly got that wrong.

What United had on Saturday was a team without a soul, and seemingly without any heart.

Nor did they have any fight or fire in their bellies.

Or passion, or tactical nous for that matter.

Perhaps the reason for this was because Liverpool were absolutely streets ahead of them in every facet of the game.

United now have one point out of the last 12 – three goals in their last four games, and those were two own goals and a fluke at Sunderland.

And this just about sums everything up.

When I left the ground on Saturday night I couldn’t help thinking that if Liverpool can humiliate United so much at St James’ Park, what will they do to them at Anfield?

And there are still visits to Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge and the Emirates to come.

What about Big Sam? It’s no secret that he does not get on with his Liverpool counterpart Rafael Benitez.

And who is next at St James’s Park? Sam’s other “big pal” Arsene Wenger.

Hard to disagree with Anal this time.

I think it's OTT and he was nothing like as keen to stick the knife into his pal Roeder.

Where is it OTT ?

As bad as anything in 28 years is OTT.

Fair enough, I can't comment on that statement.

I've seen us capitulate against far far weaker opposition, the 3-0 at home against Villa where we had three players sent off and a centre half substituted in the first half springs to mind.

he's being (unsurprisingly) hysterical to seem at one with the fans, when really he's as far removed from understanding the fans as Shepherd was.

He's out the loop now so I expect him to be particularly harsh when we're struggling. That said, other than the opening salvo, he isn't too 'wide of the mark'. It's hardly 'news' to anyone who saw the match though.

I think Big Sam wants SMith to be his DAvies, and Barton to be his Nolan - but this hasnt worked recently because neither Smith nor Barton has been as good at being like those direct bastards yet.

He's played Smith in midfield so I'm not sure how he could want him to be his Davies.

Someone explain why Alan Smith is starting every game?

Because he's got heart, commitment, plays for the shirt and always gives 100%

Just try to overlook the fact that he's not very good.

I've got heart, commitment, plays for the shirt and always gives 100% and still I'm stuck in the seventh highest division in Sweden. The fact that Man Scum got 6 million £ for the trouble makes me even more angry.

I think it's OTT and he was nothing like as keen to stick the knife into his pal Roeder.

Weren't we actually playing better at this point though (even though we may not have had as good a start position/points-wise)?

Weren't we actually playing better at this point though (even though we may not have had as good a start position/points-wise)?

Not really, we'd lost at home to Sheff Utd., Villa and Fulham in the league already.

Newcastle 0, Liverpool 3

Nov 26 2007 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

IN 28 years of covering the fortunes of Newcastle United, I have seen some really great days from the men in black-and-white shirts – and some truly awful ones.

But Saturday was as bad as it gets, for many reasons.

I cannot recall a game where not only have United not had a shot on target, but also failed to force a solitary corner.

And to do this in front of their own supporters is nothing short of a disgrace.

We have seen United concede six at Stamford Bridge, five at Old Trafford, Manchester United have put six past them at St James’ Park, and Birmingham City even scored five on Tyneside in the FA Cup last season.

Yet rarely have we seen a United defence as wide open as it was in the second half against Liverpool.

Rafael Benitez’s side scored three – but it could easily have been seven or eight.

That’s not all. I cannot remember the United supporters turning against their own manager so early in his reign as they did against Sam Allardyce on Saturday.

They booed his substitutions because they did not think Emre and Charles N’Zogbia should have been the ones brought off.

Well they were the lucky ones.

Even the match announcer got it in the neck when he bravely declared Alan Smith man of the match.

But all the boos for Steven Gerrard only served to inspire the England captain to give what can only be described as the perfect performance from midfield.

I hate to say it, but once Gerrard hammered his 30-yarder past Shay Given in the 28th minute, the game was as good as over.

Liverpool have a mean defence. At the moment United haven’t got a strike force. Not that it’s all their fault, because the service the front men are receiving from midfield is nil.

After watching the pre-season games this summer, I ventured the opinion that with Geremi, Joey Barton and Alan Smith backing up Nicky Butt, United at last had a team with bottle and that they would at least be hard to beat.

I certainly got that wrong.

What United had on Saturday was a team without a soul, and seemingly without any heart.

Nor did they have any fight or fire in their bellies.

Or passion, or tactical nous for that matter.

Perhaps the reason for this was because Liverpool were absolutely streets ahead of them in every facet of the game.

United now have one point out of the last 12 – three goals in their last four games, and those were two own goals and a fluke at Sunderland.

And this just about sums everything up.

When I left the ground on Saturday night I couldn’t help thinking that if Liverpool can humiliate United so much at St James’ Park, what will they do to them at Anfield?

And there are still visits to Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge and the Emirates to come.

What about Big Sam? It’s no secret that he does not get on with his Liverpool counterpart Rafael Benitez.

And who is next at St James’s Park? Sam’s other “big pal” Arsene Wenger.

Hard to disagree with Anal this time.

agree. for once he's actually written a half decent piece

big sam not wanting to admit he wasted £6m?

He starts ahead of Barton and club captain Geremi in midfield though so it's not like Allardyce won't drop players he's signed. Smith starts every game though.

this is what i don't understand about big sam so far. smith has consistently been our worst player this season and yet he is never dropped. i don't get it and i totally understand the crowd's reaction to the manager's decision to sub emre and n'zogbia ahead of smith and for him being chosen as sponsor's motm. i don't get what everyone rates about him. he's absolutely terrible. has contributed nowt this season.

He starts ahead of Barton and club captain Geremi in midfield though so it's not like Allardyce won't drop players he's signed. Smith starts every game though.

this is what i don't understand about big sam so far. smith has consistently been our worst player this season and yet he is never dropped. i don't get it and i totally understand the crowd's reaction to the manager's decision to sub emre and n'zogbia ahead of smith and for him being chosen as sponsor's motm. i don't get what everyone rates about him. he's absolutely terrible. has contributed nowt this season.

Thankfully due to his bookings he'll be up for another suspension soon.

A very sorry state of affairs. How did it get so bad so quickly?

A very sorry state of affairs. How did it get so bad so quickly?

its simple, we've appointed the wrong manager.

I do think he's a canny player. You can only play him upfront though. He can play with his back to goal, he'd give us the sort of workrate we've lacked there since Bellamy left and he's quite clever in terms of flicks, one-twos and playing team mates in. He's not prolific in terms of scoring, obviously. He isn't shit though. He's not a midfielder either.