post the manager you want Ashley to approach

RlCO

If Mourhino really is the 'special one' and likes a challenge, come here and win something, if he done that he would go down in PL history. I know people are saying we'd find it hard to attract a top manager but money speaks volumes and it's something Ashley's got, I don't care what anyone says, money is a massive lure.

Will he want to use an obscene amount of it knowing that if things don't go well and the fans are beginning to demand his head on a stick he'll have to pay up on a fat contract?

Somehow I doubt it, he's not Fat "How much do you want" Fred.

we'll have to do without Mourhino then.

Unfortunately, yes!

aye, good job Fred has gone, otherwise as skol says, we might have Mourinho as manager

Nowt like missing the point Leazes ;)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Mourhino really is the 'special one' and likes a challenge, come here and win something, if he done that he would go down in PL history. I know people are saying we'd find it hard to attract a top manager but money speaks volumes and it's something Ashley's got, I don't care what anyone says, money is a massive lure.

Will he want to use an obscene amount of it knowing that if things don't go well and the fans are beginning to demand his head on a stick he'll have to pay up on a fat contract?

Unfortunately, yes!

aye, good job Fred has gone, otherwise as skol says, we might have Mourinho as manager

Nowt like missing the point Leazes ;)

you mean me ?

Your point was crystal clear, and I've made it even more so.

wenger or mourinho. but realistically we're not going to get anyone of that calibre so we may as well give big sam some time. he's about the level of manager we can best hope to attract at the moment.

Unfortunately, yes!

aye, good job Fred has gone, otherwise we probably would have paid MORE compensation and put us even further into debt.

I agree.

Unfortunately, yes!

aye, good job Fred has gone, otherwise we probably would have paid MORE compensation and put us even further into debt.

I agree. We don't want to be in debt like Manu and Liverpool do we.

;)

Would Shepherd have continued to keep control of that debt? From Ashley and Morts comments it didn't seem like they were all that controlled.

I would also have my concerns if I was a Liverpool or ManU fan but then they were winning shitloads of silverware before being taken over so I don't see your point? Unless you think huge debts must be good because those two clubs have them, then i would just think you were a retard ;)

Would Shepherd have continued to keep control of that debt? From Ashley and Morts comments it didn't seem like they were all that controlled.

I would also have my concerns if I was a Liverpool or ManU fan but then they were winning shitloads of silverware before being taken over so I don't see your point? Unless you think huge debts must be good because those two clubs have them, then i would just think you were a retard ;)

ever heard of the phrase "if you don't buy a ticket you won't win the raffle".

If you think clubs can win trophies and qualify for the Champs League - I assume you do want to do this - by bringing average players into the club for small fees above clubs who are bringing in the likes of Tevez, Torres, Ronaldo, Rooney, Drogba, Essien etc etc.....think again. If you think this, then you are a retard.

Not attempting to win also = a financial loss. Take my word for it.

Edited by westendlad

If you think clubs can win trophies and qualify for the Champs League - I assume you do want to do this - by bringing average players into the club for small fees above clubs who are bringing in the likes of Tevez, Torres, Ronaldo, Rooney, Drogba, Essien etc etc.....think again. If you think this, then you are a retard.

Once upon a time in a land far far away there was a team called Leeds United.

Are you called Peter by any chance?

Once upon a time in a land far far away there was a team called Liverpool.

Who decided to implement certain new standards and bought other clubs best players, and won lots of cups and trophies, and they found a manager called Mr Shankly, then a Mr Paisley, who made good judgements, and they dominated europe because they made good judgements. But the strength of the club, and the underlying reason for their success, was because they were backed by their board, who trusted them, and speculated so enabled them to buy these players. Because they were successful, they filled their ground, expanded their fanbase, and built a dynasty. Many clubs have tried to copy this route to success, but they can't all be successful. However, all the clubs that did not attempt to follow this path, never got anywhere near it, especially a big club in the northeast part of the country, who wallowed in no mans land for decades, despite having an even bigger fanbase, because they were fed up of the club not attempting to be successful so stayed at home watching television on saturday afternoons instead. Or spending their money down the pub instead. This was the path towards wilderness, and the dark beyond, and only brightened up when the club tried to follow the Liverpool way. For a while they got close, ultimately couldn't quite make it, like some other clubs did, but they got close. But they tried. The morale of the story is, if you don't try, why bother turning up. And true to form, if the club dont' try, people will again not turn up. Just like before, and just like before, the road back to the top can be a long road, especially if you choose not to attempt the climb.

Well said Gejon. Excellent, you're learning.

Apart from the fact we were closer to doing a Leeds than the Liverpool or Manchester United.

Its like comparing Richard Branson to the old piss head who spends every afternoon in Ladbrokes spunking whats left of his dole money on "sure things".

Both are trying to make money, unfortunately one has the sense to make the right moves while the other appoints Souness and Roeder (or keeps spending more and more on the horse with 3 legs).

Edited by Gejon

Apart from the fact we were closer to doing a Leeds than the Liverpool or Manchester United.

Its like comparing Richard Branson to the old piss head who spends every afternoon in Ladbrokes spunking whats left of his dole money on "sure things".

Both are trying to make money, unfortunately one has the sense to make the right moves while the other appoints Souness and Roeder (or keeps spending more and more on the horse with 3 legs).

Unfortunately, the club did makes some good moves and appointments, othewise we would have stayed alongside the mackems for the last 15 years instead of striding ahead of them. Along with other clubs. This is the truth.

As you appear to think that everybody makes good decisions except Newcastle, what do you think of the owners of Birmingham, among the richest people in the country, running their club like a business so even the likes of Steve Bruce thinks Wigan is a step up ?

I don't really give two shits what Birmingham do.

Still going along with the "someone else is doing something wrong so its ok" theme then Leazes?

Sadly for you, you obviously don't give 2 shits about the formula to make a successful football club either, tried, tested and proven, as its been put right in front of your eyes for you.

If you think buying average players for cheap fees, will ever match the top 4, you'll always be blinkered. Until we have an unambitious board that is, which we may well have now but hopefully not.

This is the truth. Its too bad for you if you haven't the sense to read it and take it in.

Still going along with the "someone else is doing something wrong so its ok" theme then Leazes?

Sadly for you, you obviously don't give 2 shits about the formula to make a successful football club either, tried, tested and proven, as its been put right in front of your eyes for you.

If you think buying average players for cheap fees, will ever match the top 4, you'll always be blinkered. Until we have an unambitious board that is, which we may well have now but hopefully not.

This is the truth. Its too bad for you if you haven't the sense to read it and take it in.

Where are Leeds now with this tried and tested formula?

Fact is you need the right people in charge to pull off this tried and tested formula not some idiot who employs and "backs" other idiots.

Fact is you need the right people in charge to pull off this tried and tested formula not some idiot who employs and "backs" other idiots.

;)

Like I said, we have appointed some good people, otherwise we would have had a last 15 years like someone like Birmingham for example. This Birmingham example is proof that having a rich owner doesn't make you successful if they aren't ambitious for the club. Do you think that running the club as a business ie not bringing in the quality "trophy" signings like the trophy winners themselves do, will ever lead to matching them. Yes or no ?

What do you think of this rich owner of Birmingham and Dave Whelan bringing in the idiot Bruce ? [the same Bruce that Shepherd would have been slated for ie nobody else could be so daft blah blah blah].

Like it or not, there is every chance that Ashley will never match the Champions League places we have achieved, and we may never seriously attempt to buy the top players like the last board did. If you don't accept this, you're a mega retard.

I sincerely hope you don't learn the hard way, what utter tripe you are spouting.

Mark Hughes. No chance now he has just signed a new contract at Blackburn though

I cringe when I think that we were the catalyst for him getting his first job in club management, if only we'd have had the foresight to have appointed him back then instead of Souness.

<_<

Like I said, we have appointed some good people, otherwise we would have had a last 15 years like someone like Birmingham for example. This Birmingham example is proof that having a rich owner doesn't make you successful if they aren't ambitious for the club. Do you think that running the club as a business ie not bringing in the quality "trophy" signings like the trophy winners themselves do, will ever lead to matching them. Yes or no ?

What do you think of this rich owner of Birmingham and Dave Whelan bringing in the idiot Bruce ? [the same Bruce that Shepherd would have been slated for ie nobody else could be so daft blah blah blah].

Like it or not, there is every chance that Ashley will never match the Champions League places we have achieved, and we may never seriously attempt to buy the top players like the last board did. If you don't accept this, you're a mega retard.

I sincerely hope you don't learn the hard way, what utter tripe you are spouting.

;)

I bet there is a Leeds forum packed with poster going "Ah well at least Risdale gave it a try".

We didn't go on to be a Manchester United or Liverpool, why is this? Yes we got close then we made two massive mistakes. Who made these mistakes? The same person who would be on his third failue in succession if he was still in charge and decided to sack Allardyce because he though it wasn't working.

Yes teams like Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool have spent a lot of money to get their success but then they have also got the right people in to deliver that success which in turn brings in the money for them to be able to continue purchasing "trophy players".

Do you honestly believe under Shepherd we were going to the right way to get to their status?

<_<

;)

I bet there is a Leeds forum packed with poster going "Ah well at least Risdale gave it a try".

We didn't go on to be a Manchester United or Liverpool, why is this? Yes we got close then we made two massive mistakes. Who made these mistakes? The same person who would be on his third failue in succession if he was still in charge and decided to sack Allardyce because he though it wasn't working.

Yes teams like Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool have spent a lot of money to get their success but then they have also got the right people in to deliver that success which in turn brings in the money for them to be able to continue purchasing "trophy players".

Do you honestly believe under Shepherd we were going to the right way to get to their status?

Really Jon, I can't explain it any simpler than the "if you don't buy a ticket you won't win the raffle" comment.

Average players = mediocrity. Quality "trophy" players give you a chance of winning. If you want to challenge the other top teams, the only way you do it is to have players that they themselves want. I can see you aren't going to respond properly, so I'm not going to ask again.

If you don't understand, then its your problem.

You can condemn Shepherd [and Hall] for their mistakes, and I would agree that they made mistakes, but I wouldn't be too harsh until you see Ashley doing better, although I realise you think its automatic that he will.

You might miss by miles, but if you don't try, you'll never succeed.

Edited by westendlad

I like the way you always do the "if you don't understand" bit ;)

What I DO understand is that while succesful teams have spent a lot of money they have also made the right decisions, ok not always getting everything right but they are where they are because they have done it often enough to succeed. Our board didn't make the correct decision consistantly enough and thats why we ended up with a lot of debt and nothing to show for it.

Now do YOU understand this? <_<

I like the way you always do the "if you don't understand" bit ;)

What I DO understand is that while succesful teams have spent a lot of money they have also made the right decisions, ok not always getting everything right but they are where they are because they have done it often enough to succeed. Our board didn't make the correct decision consistantly enough and thats why we ended up with a lot of debt and nothing to show for it.

Now do YOU understand this? <_<

how many teams don't have debts Jon. Debts are part of football. Everybody has debts. Our debt on the ground was taken out based on season tickets sales and income, like a mortgage. Do you have a mortgage ? Its a manageable debt. Most financial people say it was a well structured loan. Would you rather we had not extended the stadium, an answer to this question would be preferred if you don't mind. We were closer to folding in 1991 than we will ever be. That is as a result of running the club like a corner shop business, rather than a speculating multi million pound one. I realise that YOU don't understand this, so you are just going to have to take my word for it.

We have made more good and correct decisions than most clubs over the past 15 years. That is how we have done better than most of them, believe it or not. This is logical, even for you, or should be, if you look at the facts. It never ceases to amuse me that people like you seem to think that everybody bar us has won cups and trophies in the last 15 years, when there are only 3 domestic cups a season. ;)

Do you think we were still going in the right direction when Ashley took over? Or were we starting to fall away?

Do you not think it was a mistake too far if Shepherd was still here and was looking to get rid of Allardyce already?

Do you think we were still going in the right direction when Ashley took over? Or were we starting to fall away?

Do you not think it was a mistake too far if Shepherd was still here and was looking to get rid of Allardyce already?

you know what Jon, I didn't want to come on and harp on about this like this, but I'll answer you, even though you haven't answered me, then hopefully put it to bed unless you do answer me. I'd rather you did answer me, truthfully, honestly, and without putting personalities into it, because I'm talking about how to be successful, in a general sense, and how other clubs have been successful, which is what we have to copy and emulate.

We obviously needed a good manager to get us back on the right track, playing wise.

I am not sure if getting rid of Allardyce is a good idea, whoever the chairman is [which is pretty much irrelevant], for a variety of reasons. We need stability, we need to give him time, but we don't know how serious the situation is inside the club.

As you appear to think that everybody makes good decisions except Newcastle, what do you think of the owners of Birmingham, among the richest people in the country, running their club like a business so even the likes of Steve Bruce thinks Wigan is a step up ?

This owuld be the same Steve Bruce who turned us down a few seasons ago to stay at the same Birmingham that royally turned us over at home last year would it? I guess his excuse then was "I dont want to make such a giant step up"

The old board did do a lot of good for the club but they looked like they had run out of ideas and were starting to make a lot of mistakes. They did gamble with a lot of money to get us to the next level and for a while it worked but at the moment we find ourselves in a situation where clubs who have gambled a lot less are getting ahead of us. We now need some consistancy if we want any hope of getting back to where we were.

Ashley and Mort have come in, the debts have been cleared and now its down to Allardyce to sort out the team. He has had a hell of a lot to do with a squad to basically rebuild and the takeover in the summer couldn't have helped in many aspects. He is trying to impliment his own ideas and is still trying to sort out the backroom staff. He has made mistakes and some very questionable decisions but is still only 13 games into his reign as Newcastle manager. We have a long way still to go, I never for one minute thought we would instantly change under Allardyce (say like City have under Sven) because Sam is someone who works on the future aswell as the present.

He has shown at Bolton he can build a decent squad and get players performing at a level overs have failed to get, some even overperforming. We have had some shocking performances this season and the Allardyce resiliance has so far failed to show through in the team but I don't go along with the idea that he isn't capable of taking over a "big club" as at the moment we really aren't unfortunately. If he can get us a top 10 finish this season and build the grounds to improve on that next season he has done a decent job. Although his signings are getting stick from some quarters I think the squad is a lot more healthy than it has been since Souness started pulling it apart so for me at least we have already improved as a club even if the performances aren't showing it yet.

It hasn't been perfect, far from it, the football hasn't been pretty and he isn't doing much to win over many fans but I still feel more confident the club is starting to go in the right direction again than I have for a long time and I think sacking him is only going to knock as back again (especially as I am not as confident as most that we are going to get this wonderful manager rushing to take over).

We all need to calm down and give the manager time, we also need to stop thinking "we have a billionaire in charge so x,y and z should be happening" because its only increasing expectations and causing overreactions.