'Celtic Cup' set to start in 2009

khay

Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland have agreed "in principle" to play a series of three biennial "Celtic Cup" tournaments.

An agreement signed on Monday commits the countries to arranging the tournaments on a league basis.

Home and away games will be rotated from one tournament to the next with each team playing three matches in each of the competitions.

Last week England distanced themselves from involvement in the tournament.

Commercial arrangements and fixture dates are now being finalised.

The old Home Championship, which included England but not the Republic of Ireland, was staged every year until 1984.

But matches between England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland were eventually scrapped because of increasing fixture congestion.

Last week Prime Minister Gordon Brown said he would welcome the revival of home internationals to ease the pain of Euro 2008 misery for the four home nations.

England's defeat by Croatia, following the failures of Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales triggered calls for the sides to face each other in 2008.

It is the first time since 1994 that no home nations have qualified for a major tournament.

The Republic of Ireland did qualify for the 1994 World Cup in the United States.

Scotland battled valiantly but finished third in a group including Italy and France, while Northern Ireland's fate was sealed when they were beaten in Spain on Wednesday.

Wales's campaign was in tatters after a string of early defeats.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why the "Celtic Cup" ?

Are these irish wannabee tramps having an identity crisis again, the Taffs - and the northern irish too - should tell them to go and get stuffed, and I hope England continue to keep a wide berth.

why the "Celtic Cup" ?

Are these irish wannabee tramps having an identity crisis again, the Taffs - and the northern irish too - should tell them to go and get stuffed, and I hope England continue to keep a wide berth.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt on this one and take that comment as a joke.

why the "Celtic Cup" ?

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt on this one and take that comment as a joke.

What comment particularly ?

I see that stevie also agrees with me. What is the point of these internationals ? Calling it the "Celtic Cup" strikes me as being motivated by bigotry, which is why I would rather it didn't happen.

why the "Celtic Cup" ?

I see that stevie also agrees with me. What is the point of these internationals ? Calling it the "Celtic Cup" strikes me as being motivated by bigotry, which is why I would rather it didn't happen.

;)

You're one of Stevie's piss taking pseudonyms aren't you?

why the "Celtic Cup" ?

Saying that like it's a good thing ;)

Why not just use your normal login Leazes?

why don't you Dave ?

This is my only login on here.

Well, why don't you log in as Dave as well, it is allowed like. It's not as if you've got to put your hand up and ask or owt.

Edited by LeazesMag

why don't you Dave ?

Well, why don't you log in as Dave as well, it is allowed like. It's not as if you've got to put your hand up and ask or owt.

leazesmag. how the hell are you?

why don't you Dave ?

ah, long lost buddie ;)

Fine, Dan. [at least I think you were Dan], as I remember you from the old howaythetoon as Dr Gloom. How are you ?

why don't you Dave ?

I'd rather not thanks, this account is fine.

I just found it strange you posted from an account on here you've not used in two years. Almost as though you didn't want people to know who you are. ;)

why don't you Dave ?

ah, long lost buddie ;)

Fine, Dan. [at least I think you were Dan], as I remember you from the old howaythetoon as Dr Gloom. How are you ?

good. what happened to you? this place has been a little dull in your absence. nowhere near enough 15+page threads about freddie shepherd ;):D

why don't you Dave ?

I just found it strange you posted from an account on here you've not used in two years. Almost as though you didn't want people to know who you are. ;)

why is it strange Dave ?

I told people who I was, you obviously haven't read the threads. I may use it again, I don't know. If I do, you know its me. Grassroots will tell you I was called westendlad before LM on the old howaythetoon, so will sparks when he called himself sparky. Come to think of it, there are a whole host of people who used to post on even the old Newcastle Online never mind other boards, and also recently, who seem to have disappeared, but nobody knows what they are called now, its as if they just disappeared into thin air, or didn't want people to know who they were ?

No big deal. Get over it.

Can't for the life of me think why you don't call yourself Dave on here tbh, but then again, it's up to you isn't it ?.

why don't you Dave ?

I thought one of my wanker toonspastic chums might have edited it since they've got an awful reputation for doing things like that, apparently...

why don't you Dave ?

ah, long lost buddie :D

good. what happened to you? this place has been a little dull in your absence. nowhere near enough 15+page threads about freddie shepherd ;):D

Well, thats because he;s gone. And before I start saying I am waiting expectantly for Mort and Ashley to buy quality players and qualify for the Champions League in a similar manner, I'm off to the pub ...

Nice to see you, btw I didn't realise you were Dan at the time ...... ;)

why is it strange Dave ?

I told people who I was, you obviously haven't read the threads. I may use it again, I don't know. If I do, you know its me. Grassroots will tell you I was called westendlad before LM on the old howaythetoon, so will sparks when he called himself sparky. Come to think of it, there are a whole host of people who used to post on even the old Newcastle Online never mind other boards, and also recently, who seem to have disappeared, but nobody knows what they are called now, its as if they just disappeared into thin air, or didn't want people to know who they were ?

Can't for the life of me think why you don't call yourself Dave on here tbh, but then again, it's up to you isn't it ?.

It's strange because you've got 4000 posts with this account and not used the other in two years, just found it weird why you went back to it. Particularly liked you asking Jon 'you mean me ?' when he referred to you as Leazes. ;)

As you say, no big deal. Get over it.

I don't call myself Dave on here as I don't have admin rights to change it, as I did on N-O. ;)

why is it strange Dave ?

It's strange because you've got 4000 posts with this account and not used the other in two years, just found it weird why you went back to it. Particularly liked you asking Jon 'you mean me ?' when he referred to you as Leazes. ;)

I don't call myself Dave on here as I don't have admin rights to change it, as I did on N-O. ;)

I'm sure they would change it if you asked, or let you make a new one - as I said there is nothing to stop you. Unless of course, you don't want people to know its you ?

Meanwhile, there is a hell of a lot of people on Newcastle Online who have different names to what they do on here, and appear to not want people to know. But its up to them isn't it, so why are you making such a fuss

why don't you Dave ?

I thought one of my wanker toonspastic chums might have edited it since they've got an awful reputation for doing things like that, apparently...

oh dear. He comes the man from Bristol who thinks he's an expert because he has seen the toon play 100 games in 27 years. Are you going to tell everybody on here how you said you would stalk my 13 year old daughter ?

why don't you Dave ?

oh dear. He comes the man from Bristol who thinks he's an expert because he has seen the toon play 100 games in 27 years. Are you going to tell everybody on here how you said you would stalk my 13 year old daughter ?

I didn't say that actually, I said you were asking about BEBO because you were worried about dodgy people stalking her on there yet you spend the majority of your time on N-O doing the exact same thing to me, I pointed out you wouldn't like it if someone done it to her so don't do it to me.

Nice to see you come crawling back on here though with your tail between your legs even though you were happy to refer to them as "My toonspastic chums who edit posts" time and time again when you had somewhere else to post, that about sums you up.

I'll await a PM off your little brother fighting your corner like last time.

why don't you Dave ?

I didn't say that actually, I said you were asking about BEBO because you were worried about dodgy people stalking her on there yet you spend the majority of your time on N-O doing the exact same thing to me, I pointed out you wouldn't like it if someone done it to her so don't do it to me.

Nice to see you come crawling back on here though with your tail between your legs even though you were happy to refer to them as "My toonspastic chums who edit posts" time and time again when you had somewhere else to post, that about sums you up.

I'll await a PM off your little brother fighting your corner like last time.

The insinuation was clear.

Nice to see Dave fighting your corner, does he know what you called him when he changed your name to faggio

I'm happy to be back on here now Gol has restored my avatar. We have pm'd and move on.

Anyway, fuck off, and don't mention stalking my daughter again.

why is it strange Dave ?

I don't call myself Dave on here as I don't have admin rights to change it, as I did on N-O. :D

Want me to change it? ;)