'Celtic Cup' set to start in 2009

khay

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why is it strange Dave ?

I told people who I was, you obviously haven't read the threads. I may use it again, I don't know. If I do, you know its me. Grassroots will tell you I was called westendlad before LM on the old howaythetoon, so will sparks when he called himself sparky. Come to think of it, there are a whole host of people who used to post on even the old Newcastle Online never mind other boards, and also recently, who seem to have disappeared, but nobody knows what they are called now, its as if they just disappeared into thin air, or didn't want people to know who they were ?

No big deal. Get over it.

Can't for the life of me think why you don't call yourself Dave on here tbh, but then again, it's up to you isn't it ?.

It's strange because you've got 4000 posts with this account and not used the other in two years, just found it weird why you went back to it. Particularly liked you asking Jon 'you mean me ?' when he referred to you as Leazes. ;)

As you say, no big deal. Get over it.

I don't call myself Dave on here as I don't have admin rights to change it, as I did on N-O. :D

Want me to change it? ;)

Ordinarily I would, but seeing as everyone knows already, and also the fact there are a number of Daves already on here, I don't really see the need.

Or if you're Leazes, I'm hiding and stuff.

Cheers though. :D

Nice to see Dave fighting your corner, does he know what you called him when he changed your name to faggio

Couldn't give a monkey's tbh. ;)

And please keep your N-O spats off this forum, I'm sure the locals don't appreciate it.

Back to the point in hand. The FA are getting a bit ahead of themselves turning down this tournament as every team in it is quite capable of beating us. NI already did and Scotland outperformed us the whole euro 2008 campaign. Id be happy to watch the games.

Nice to see Dave fighting your corner, does he know what you called him when he changed your name to faggio

Couldn't give a monkey's tbh. ;)

And please keep your N-O spats off this forum, I'm sure the locals don't appreciate it.

I'm sure they don't, but you should look in the mirror Dave, if you want to see who brought it up, and changed direction of this thread.

As per normal, some people don't half get a toot on and try to make rules just because someone disagrees with knows better than them.

Edited by LeazesMag

Leazes,

what do you think of the new chairman and the new owner?

what do I think ? I don't know, the team are struggling, and I'm not too impressed by the quality of footballer that has came into the club, which is certainly nowhere near the bracket of the best buys that the ex board backed their manager to bring to the club. Is that what you want to know ?

Or do you want to know what I think of their PR stunts in the pubs etc, because tbh I couldn't give a rats arse about PR stunts.

I obviously hope they show ambition for the team, and attempt to challenge the top clubs by targetting and bringing to the club players good enough to challenge them, otherwise I wouldn't want them to stay.

What about you ?

;)

To clarify, I asked about your username, never mentioned anything about N-O. Fuck knows what you're on about with the rules.

Last I'm going to say in this thread as I'm beginning to annoy myself and as I say, it's spoiling the thread now. No doubt you'll want to get the last word in, so I apologise to everyone else.

Edited by nufc4ever

Leazes,

what do I think ? I don't know, the team are struggling, and I'm not too impressed by the quality of footballer that has came into the club, which is certainly nowhere near the bracket of the best buys that the ex board backed their manager to bring to the club. Is that what you want to know ?

Or do you want to know what I think of their PR stunts in the pubs etc, because tbh I couldn't give a rats arse about PR stunts.

I obviously hope they show ambition for the team, and attempt to challenge the top clubs by targetting and bringing to the club players good enough to challenge them, otherwise I wouldn't want them to stay.

What about you ?

I see the owner and chairman as modern businessmen, who's targets and plans for the club are long term, we probably won't see their approaching fruition for at least another 12 months. Their PR stunts are more to sway the more bumbling fans of the club, the ame fans who're quick to jump on any bandwagon suggested by the press, local and national.

Their ambitions with regards to player acquisitions seem more the remit of the manager that they've inherited, I'm sure they will financially support Sam Allardyce as long as he convinces them that he deserves/needs it.

I'm far FAR more confident in this current set-up than the previous, simply because this current ownership/chair...ship strikes me as professional and progressive. They may not have the same unquestionable love for the club that the previous regime did, but perhaps that's why they can bring success. they can be objective and rather than sign a trophy player, they'll afford SA the money to acquire players who will gradually, genuinely improve our fortunes on the pitch.

;)

To clarify, I asked about your username, never mentioned anything about N-O. Fuck knows what you're on about with the rules.

Last I'm going to say in this thread as I'm beginning to annoy myself and as I say, it's spoiling the thread now. No doubt you'll want to get the last word in, so I apologise to everyone else.

what a load of bollocks Dave. Tried to be a smartarse, thats all there is to it .........

Leazes,

What about you ?

I see the owner and chairman as modern businessmen, who's targets and plans for the club are long term, we probably won't see their approaching fruition for at least another 12 months. Their PR stunts are more to sway the more bumbling fans of the club, the ame fans who're quick to jump on any bandwagon suggested by the press, local and national.

Their ambitions with regards to player acquisitions seem more the remit of the manager that they've inherited, I'm sure they will financially support Sam Allardyce as long as he convinces them that he deserves/needs it.

I'm far FAR more confident in this current set-up than the previous, simply because this current ownership/chair...ship strikes me as professional and progressive. They may not have the same unquestionable love for the club that the previous regime did, but perhaps that's why they can bring success. they can be objective and rather than sign a trophy player, they'll afford SA the money to acquire players who will gradually, genuinely improve our fortunes on the pitch.

Don't get me wrong, all this man of the people stuff is nice to see, but the best PR of all is to have a winning team, and nowt will gain them the affection of NUFC fans more than a winning team.

I think any sort of long term plans would take a lot longer than 12 months tbh, all i want in the short term is a sign that Allardyce as manager is on the right lines, and good vibes from the owner and his chairman that they have real ambition, to sit at the top table again, and they are aware of what exactly is needed to do that.

I don't go for this objection to "trophy" players by the way, because without these "trophy" players, we will never challenge the top teams. The top teams buy these players themselves.

You can't call players of the calibre of the Micheal Owen we bought a "trophy" player, because we need more players of this calibre, unless you have someone else in mind.

You have a point re outsiders seeing things from a different perspective, but you could also say that people with an understanding of the club and the city is an advantage too in its own way, the most successful managers have all had a Newcastle connection, or at least a NorthEast one and didn't underestimate the public, a point which Malcolm MacDonald picked up the other day about Allardyce making a mistake if he doesn't pick up on it.

So, I'm undecided on that one. I wanted Allardyce, but so far I'm not very happy with him and am wondering if he is out of his depth after all.

I see that my title of "most hated member" is now in dispute. Welcome back, Leazes.

Lots of good sense in that last post by the way, if you could just drop the personal disputes with people then you might find them more amenable to what you have to say.

I see that my title of "most hated member" is now in dispute. Welcome back, Leazes.

Lots of good sense in that last post by the way, if you could just drop the personal disputes with people then you might find them more amenable to what you have to say.

sorry, haven't been following much so I've no idea you were "hated" ..... ;) in any case, one or two other people spring to my mind.

Just because I had a different view on Shepherd and Hall [borne out of seeing what could only be called REALLY shit directors], it doesn't mean I chased personal agendas or disputes. Basically, I didn't. I just had a different opinion, borne out of pointing out facts, but now we have new owners, lets hope they actually do better, aye ? They could hardly do worse could they [/sarcastic smillie thing]. And for whats its worth, I never denied that Shepherd said stupid things to the press sometimes, it was just that relatively speaking, I didn't give two fucks if he made himself look stupid. Nobody laughed at him when we played in the Champions League and they were getting their FA Cup Final tickets in the post, i don't subscribe to the theory that he made us look daft, I don;t think he made me look daft, nobody ever came up to me and said he did, and I was working out of the area too.

I didn't really ask Dave to try to be a clever bugger did I ?

I also don't remember you, who were you before, have you changed usernames and do you have something to hide ;)

Couldn't help that, I know Dave has a sense of humour don't you mate, even though you've banned me from NO again ...

Anyway, to get back on thread. I wouldn't have any objection to the Home Internationals coming back, in all seriousness, but I have a problem with this name "celtic cup".

I've no idea who this cunt is, but his method of logging in with a new username and fucking up my my thread sure got my gander up.

I expect a Fop like evasion of the issue though from what I've seen so far. The place is filling up with tossers.

Edited by RlCO

I don't go for this objection to "trophy" players by the way, because without these "trophy" players, we will never challenge the top teams. The top teams buy these players themselves.

You can't call players of the calibre of the Micheal Owen we bought a "trophy" player, because we need more players of this calibre, unless you have someone else in mind.

Now, I don't see Owen as a trophy signing, there was a definite need to have a top rate striker in place when Shearer retired. I understand that signing. Duff is the best and most recent example of a trophy player in my eyes.

N'Zogbia was looking promising, Milner was capable of providing cover for the left and we had Dyer and Solano on the right. Duff was bought because a) he was a big name, 2) he was being sold at a bargain basement price and iii) confidence and excitement was lacking around SJP

but you're right, we need to sign great players in order tocompete with the big boys, I just don't see the need in signing players for positions in which there isn't the need.

Sign a top rate creative central midfielder and no-one would contest it, but if (for example) we bought a well known defensive midfielder or striker in the window I'd be concerned

Anyway, to get back on thread. I wouldn't have any objection to the Home Internationals coming back, in all seriousness, but I have a problem with this name "celtic cup".

Perhaps it was so named because the participating countries all having celtic backgrounds you fucking moron.

Perhaps it was so named because the participating countries all having celtic backgrounds you fucking moron.

Wales ? I don't think so. Fucking moron.

Learn to read and you'll see that my thoughts about the name is such that I'm glad England aren't in it. The basis for that is so we aren't associated with crap like that based on religious factors.

What about the protestant end ie Rangers element, of Scotland, do you think they will be happy ? Fucking moron.........

Now, I don't see Owen as a trophy signing, there was a definite need to have a top rate striker in place when Shearer retired. I understand that signing. Duff is the best and most recent example of a trophy player in my eyes.

N'Zogbia was looking promising, Milner was capable of providing cover for the left and we had Dyer and Solano on the right. Duff was bought because a) he was a big name, 2) he was being sold at a bargain basement price and iii) confidence and excitement was lacking around SJP

but you're right, we need to sign great players in order tocompete with the big boys, I just don't see the need in signing players for positions in which there isn't the need.

Sign a top rate creative central midfielder and no-one would contest it, but if (for example) we bought a well known defensive midfielder or striker in the window I'd be concerned

A player who was a Chelsea squad player is a "trophy" signing, htf do you work that out ?

Agree with most of the rest mind, apart from the fact that if Duff comes back he could play in Solano's position, which was probably the whole point of buying him ie a decent player at a good price with a lot of years ahead of him ?

Edited by LeazesMag

Wales are 'Celtic' (they consider themselves to be) though I think recent evidence suggests just about everyone on the British Isles came from what is now the Basque country which makes the arguments about the different races a bit daft if true. Celtic (pronounced kel-tick) isn't about religion btw. A lot of Scots would regard themselves as 'Celts' regardless of whether they were Protestant or Catholic (a bit like how a lot in the Western Isles speak Gaelic - prounouced 'gallic' whether they're Catholic of Protestant) although it has more recent sectarian connotations due to Celtic FC.

Learn to read and you'll see that my thoughts about the name is such that I'm glad England aren't in it. The basis for that is so we aren't associated with crap like that based on religious factors.

What about the protestant end ie Rangers element, of Scotland, do you think they will be happy ? Fucking moron.........

Uh yes Wales does have a Celtic heritage. Fucking moron.

And anyone with half an ounce of sense realises that it's nothing to do with Celtic FC, they are two different words pronounced differently as well you know.

Wales are 'Celtic' (they consider themselves to be) though I think recent evidence suggests just about everyone on the British Isles came from what is now the Basque country which makes the arguments about the different races a bit daft if true. Celtic (pronounced kel-tick) isn't about religion btw. A lot of Scots would regard themselves as 'Celts' regardless of whether they were Protestant or Catholic (a bit like how a lot in the Western Isles speak Gaelic - prounouced 'gallic' whether they're Catholic of Protestant) although it has more recent sectarian connotations due to Celtic FC.

thanks for the history lesson Alex. One of my best mates is Welsh and feel exactly the same as I do about the bigotry element of all this, I have met other Welsh people over the years, and none of them has ever told me they are Irish wannabees or anything like it. I've also met a lot of Scotsmen and I would be surprised if they are comfortable with being called "Celts".

Main point is the same though, I'm glad England aren't in it, and I presume it is some sort of replacement for the old Home Internationals

Uh yes Wales does have a Celtic heritage. Fucking moron.

And anyone with half an ounce of sense realises that it's nothing to do with Celtic FC, they are two different words pronounced differently as well you know.

They also have an English element, and are part of the UK, unlike Southern Ireland. Fucking moron. And I'm glad England aren't associated with this. They don't make many good decisions, but this is one of them.

Anyone with half an ounce of sense will also know the vast majority of English supporters who support England won't give a toss about this cup either. Fucking moron.

thanks for the history lesson Alex. One of my best mates is Welsh and feel exactly the same as I do about the bigotry element of all this, I have met other Welsh people over the years, and none of them has ever told me they are Irish wannabees or anything like it. I've also met a lot of Scotsmen and I would be surprised if they are comfortable with being called "Celts".

Main point is the same though, I'm glad England aren't in it, and I presume it is some sort of replacement for the old Home Internationals

Wiki:

In a modern context, the term 'Celt' or 'Celtic' is used to denote areas where Celtic languages are spoken—this is the criterion employed by the Celtic League and the Celtic Congress. In this sense, there are six modern nations that can be defined as Celtic: Brittany, Cornwall, Ireland, the Isle of Man, Scotland and Wales. Only four, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, and Brittany have native speakers of Celtic languages and in none of them is it the language of the majority. However, all six have significant traces of a Celtic language in personal and place names, as well as in culture and traditions.

So there you go.

As for the tournament, I assume the 'Celtic' nations have given up on qualifying for major tournaments altogether ;)

Wiki:

In a modern context, the term 'Celt' or 'Celtic' is used to denote areas where Celtic languages are spoken—this is the criterion employed by the Celtic League and the Celtic Congress. In this sense, there are six modern nations that can be defined as Celtic: Brittany, Cornwall, Ireland, the Isle of Man, Scotland and Wales. Only four, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, and Brittany have native speakers of Celtic languages and in none of them is it the language of the majority. However, all six have significant traces of a Celtic language in personal and place names, as well as in culture and traditions.

So there you go.

As for the tournament, I assume the 'Celtic' nations have given up on qualifying for major tournaments altogether ;)

LLLoooooveeerrrrlllllly

The Texaco Cup for the "Celt" countries it is then