'Celtic Cup' set to start in 2009

khay

Wales are 'Celtic' (they consider themselves to be) though I think recent evidence suggests just about everyone on the British Isles came from what is now the Basque country which makes the arguments about the different races a bit daft if true. Celtic (pronounced kel-tick) isn't about religion btw. A lot of Scots would regard themselves as 'Celts' regardless of whether they were Protestant or Catholic (a bit like how a lot in the Western Isles speak Gaelic - prounouced 'gallic' whether they're Catholic of Protestant) although it has more recent sectarian connotations due to Celtic FC.

thanks for the history lesson Alex. One of my best mates is Welsh and feel exactly the same as I do about the bigotry element of all this, I have met other Welsh people over the years, and none of them has ever told me they are Irish wannabees or anything like it. I've also met a lot of Scotsmen and I would be surprised if they are comfortable with being called "Celts".

Main point is the same though, I'm glad England aren't in it, and I presume it is some sort of replacement for the old Home Internationals

Can you not just understand that there is absolutely nothing bigotted about the name of the competition? It's only ignorants such as yourself who would make that connection.

And I may be wrong but I don't think the Scots have any problem with being known as Celts.

Edit: And being Celtic is nothing to do with wanting to be Irish or being Irish at all, again it's only people like you who don't understand the term who would draw that conclusion.

Edited by ewerk

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A player who was a Chelsea squad player is a "trophy" signing, htf do you work that out ?

Agree with most of the rest mind, apart from the fact that if Duff comes back he could play in Solano's position, which was probably the whole point of buying him ie a decent player at a good price with a lot of years ahead of him ?

I'd have though that was obvious. We didn't need him, we could have spent £6m on a defender, or put it towards a position that was weak. I concede he was a decent player at Chelsea and admit that some of my disappointment at his signing will benefit from hindsight. However, he was ancillary to our needs, he was electric windows on a rickshaw if you ask me.

A player who was a Chelsea squad player is a "trophy" signing, htf do you work that out ?

Agree with most of the rest mind, apart from the fact that if Duff comes back he could play in Solano's position, which was probably the whole point of buying him ie a decent player at a good price with a lot of years ahead of him ?

I'd have though that was obvious. We didn't need him, we could have spent £6m on a defender, or put it towards a position that was weak. I concede he was a decent player at Chelsea and admit that some of my disappointment at his signing will benefit from hindsight. However, he was ancillary to our needs, he was electric windows on a rickshaw if you ask me.

can't agree with your defnition of a "trophy signing", even if I think the club did sign cosmetic players, because I don't think they did. I think they have tried to buy as quality players as they could. Anyway, its maybe just as well that we didn't spend that 5m quid on another defender, because Duff may come in useful when he comes back now. Which is my point, the same one I made when we bought him.

To me, a "trophy" signing is the sort of signing we used to make when we bought players such as Keegan, or Peter Withe. One big name to pull in the fans alongside a shitload of dross, no ambition, and no intention whatsoever of putting any quality players alongside them.

can't agree with your defnition of a "trophy signing", even if I think the club did sign cosmetic players, because I don't think they did. I think they have tried to buy as quality players as they could. Anyway, its maybe just as well that we didn't spend that 5m quid on another defender, because Duff may come in useful when he comes back now. Which is my point, the same one I made when we bought him.

To me, a "trophy" signing is the sort of signing we used to make when we bought players such as Keegan, or Peter Withe. One big name to pull in the fans alongside a shitload of dross, no ambition, and no intention whatsoever of putting any quality players alongside them.

which Noelie will agree with, now that I see he is online, unless he thinks - from the use of his long range telescope - that the Halls and Shepherd brought to an end a magnificent period where we won trophies galore, or something.

Wales are 'Celtic' (they consider themselves to be) though I think recent evidence suggests just about everyone on the British Isles came from what is now the Basque country which makes the arguments about the different races a bit daft if true. Celtic (pronounced kel-tick) isn't about religion btw. A lot of Scots would regard themselves as 'Celts' regardless of whether they were Protestant or Catholic (a bit like how a lot in the Western Isles speak Gaelic - prounouced 'gallic' whether they're Catholic of Protestant) although it has more recent sectarian connotations due to Celtic FC.

thanks for the history lesson Alex. One of my best mates is Welsh and feel exactly the same as I do about the bigotry element of all this, I have met other Welsh people over the years, and none of them has ever told me they are Irish wannabees or anything like it. I've also met a lot of Scotsmen and I would be surprised if they are comfortable with being called "Celts".

Main point is the same though, I'm glad England aren't in it, and I presume it is some sort of replacement for the old Home Internationals

Can you not just understand that there is absolutely nothing bigotted about the name of the competition? It's only ignorants such as yourself who would make that connection.

And I may be wrong but I don't think the Scots have any problem with being known as Celts.

Edit: And being Celtic is nothing to do with wanting to be Irish or being Irish at all, again it's only people like you who don't understand the term who would draw that conclusion.

load of bollocks tbh. If you disagree, why do Celtic fans sing such bigoted crap as they do ie IRA songs, anti Queen songs, etc etc, and yes I know the other side are the same.

Unless of course their very name is absolutely nothing to do with Ireland. Fucking ignorant thick moron.

Strange thing is, I've met a lot of Scots who I like, but I can't stand this sort of stuff. There is no need for it at all. I hope you don't defend the behaviour of them when they have played friendlies down here in recent years either.

see this by the way

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_F.C.

Celtic Football Club was formally constituted at a meeting in St. Mary's Church hall on East Rose Street (now Forbes Street), Calton, Glasgow, by an Irish Marist brother named Brother Walfrid originally from Ballymote in County Sligo on 6 November 1887.

The charity established by Brother Walfrid was named The Poor Children's Dinner Table. Walfrid's move to establish the club as a means of fund raising was largely inspired by the example of Hibernian F.C. who were formed out of the immigrant Irish population thirteen years earlier in Edinburgh.

"One big name to pull in the fans alongside a shitload of dross, no ambition, and no intention whatsoever of putting any quality players alongside them."

How does that not describe Duff?

"One big name to pull in the fans alongside a shitload of dross, no ambition, and no intention whatsoever of putting any quality players alongside them."

How does that not describe Duff?

having spent over a decade bringing in quality players, and already getting 52000 crowds, playing in europe blah blah ..... are you kidding ?

Doesn't that make every single player that Liverpool, Chelsea and ManU sign "trophy players " ?

Damien Duff was a good player mate, but is light years away from being an Alan Shearer, Les Ferdinand, David Ginola, Johnathon Woodgate, Michael Owen - and there were many players on our books who cost more money than him too.

I simply can't buy this, there is no way a quality player - bought into replace other quality players already at the club who had left or were about to leave, is what you say here. Also - Martins signed for twice the price !!!

He was a Chelsea squad player mate, and wouldn't even have got into the team that Keegan left behind.

Are you seriously saying that NUFC have not showed anything other than serious ambition ?

Edited by LeazesMag

load of bollocks tbh. If you disagree, why do Celtic fans sing such bigoted crap as they do ie IRA songs, anti Queen songs, etc etc, and yes I know the other side are the same.

Unless of course their very name is absolutely nothing to do with Ireland. Fucking ignorant thick moron.

Strange thing is, I've met a lot of Scots who I like, but I can't stand this sort of stuff. There is no need for it at all. I hope you don't defend the behaviour of them when they have played friendlies down here in recent years either.

see this by the way

Celtic Football Club was formally constituted at a meeting in St. Mary's Church hall on East Rose Street (now Forbes Street), Calton, Glasgow, by an Irish Marist brother named Brother Walfrid originally from Ballymote in County Sligo on 6 November 1887.

The charity established by Brother Walfrid was named The Poor Children's Dinner Table. Walfrid's move to establish the club as a means of fund raising was largely inspired by the example of Hibernian F.C. who were formed out of the immigrant Irish population thirteen years earlier in Edinburgh.

You're completely missing my point, yes Celtic FC has irish connections and probably took their name from the celtic hertiage but the naming of the competition has nothing to do with the football club. Can you understand this? It has nothing to do with Celtic FC, it has been named the Celtic Cup because of the participant countries' celtic background. Do you see what I'm saying?

see this by the way

You're completely missing my point, yes Celtic FC has irish connections and probably took their name from the celtic hertiage but the naming of the competition has nothing to do with the football club. Can you understand this? It has nothing to do with Celtic FC, it has been named the Celtic Cup because of the participant countries' celtic background. Do you see what I'm saying?

You're completely missing my point.

What I'm saying is I don't like the religious stigma attached to the name of this, so am glad England aren't involved. Whatever you say, people who aren't really interested in such matters, will see it like this. Whats more, it doesn't make them fucking morons, it just means they don't give a toss about it, or would prefer to have nothing to do with it.

Which is probably WHY England aren;t involved, and won't get involved.

see this by the way

What I'm saying is I don't like the religious stigma attached to the name of this, so am glad England aren't involved. Whatever you say, people who aren't really interested in such matters, will see it like this. Whats more, it doesn't make them fucking morons, it just means they don't give a toss about it, or would prefer to have nothing to do with it.

good grief, 'religious stigma'? Im sure you just argue for the sake of it sometimes leazes!

see this by the way

good grief, 'religious stigma'? Im sure you just argue for the sake of it sometimes leazes!

no, I don't.

[quote name='LeazesMag' date='Nov 30 2007, 07:09 AM' post='406430'

which Noelie will agree with, now that I see he is online, unless he thinks - from the use of his long range telescope.........

I was wondering how long it would take the egotistical, idiotic pedant LeazesMag to bring forth my name in his postings, and lo and behold here he comes again with his classic moronic drivel.

I would have thought he'd have enough sense to steer clear of Noelie after the last verbal thrashing he was subjected to but apparently he is just as stupid as he was then and no doubt he will try to save face by engaging in another asinine verbiage confrontation, hoping to salvage what little esteem, if any, he had left.

Don't waste your time LeazesMag, I'm certainly not going to waste my time on you.

Now then folks, wait for his response. I'm sure it'll make you laugh.

see this by the way

no, I don't.

;)

Now then folks, wait for his response. I'm sure it'll make you laugh.[/b]

on the contrary, Noelie, I just knew you would be stupid enough to reply.

Or maybe not reply, which you didn't. Just like last time, to the footballing knowledge, of which you appear to have very little.

Next time, sort out your quotes btw

Edited by LeazesMag

see this by the way

;)

My point is that there is absolutely no religious/sectarian stigma associated with the name. As I said before, anyone with any sort of knowledge knows what the Celtic reference in the name means. You on the other hand have embarassed yourself by showing yourself as completely ignorant of a well known culture, well done on that.

And the fact that England aren't participating has nothing to do with the name of the competition and probably more to do with their desire to play more attractive opposition.

see this by the way

;)

My point is that there is absolutely no religious/sectarian stigma associated with the name. As I said before, anyone with any sort of knowledge knows what the Celtic reference in the name means. You on the other hand have embarassed yourself by showing yourself as completely ignorant of a well known culture, well done on that.

And the fact that England aren't participating has nothing to do with the name of the competition and probably more to do with their desire to play more attractive opposition.

Anyone with any sort of knowledge will know that such a name conjures up particular thoughts of Celtic football club, the bigotry that is attached to them, and only an idiot would deny there is no such sectarianism and bigotry attached to that name when used in a footballing context.

Embarrassing that you think that everybody ought to have first hand information of the historics of certain culturesm especially ones they don't give a toss about. What world do you inhabit ?

I don't somehow think that England would get involved in a "Celtic Cup", whoever the opposition. Right decision too.

;) It's not some obscure historic culture, it's still very much alive within the British Isles and no it doesn't instantly conjure up images of sectarianism and bigotry, perhaps in your head but not for the majority, hence my interpretation of your opening post as a joke.

And you're right, England wouldn't be involved in a Celtic Cup, because they're not a celtic country so the competition would therefore have a different name if they were part of it.

Well done once again for showing yourself up.

Edited by ewerk

;) It's not some obscure historic culture, it's still very much alive within the British Isles and no it doesn't instantly conjure up images of sectarianism and bigotry, perhaps in your head but not for the majority, hence my interpretation of your opening post as a joke.

And you're right, England wouldn't be involved in a Celtic Cup, because they're not a celtic country so the competition would therefore have a different name if they were part of it.

Well done once again for showing yourself up.

Well, ewerk. Basically, I think your over the top analysis of my comments that I would not like England to be associated with a cup like this, is highly amusing too. I'd also lay a fair bet that the vast majority of English football fans would say exactly the same as me. Of course, you will be speaking for "the majority of" people in Scotland and Ireland, but I realise this, you won't and don't. It's all very much the smaller guy running away and making a cup of their own, looking up at the bigger fish who won't play with them. Whatever makes them feel important. Pretty much like mackems have done in comparison with NUFC - and their silly little "northeast league" during the time of Hall and Shepherd running the club, dare I say it.

Sorry like, but I just don't care. They can sit in their own little corner and convince themselves they aren't bigoted and this cup doesn't create such thoughts among others, and that they are playing for something worthwhile, for as long as they like.

And in under twelve hours I have been utterly trounced. Consider this an official speech of concession, Leazes - you have won the title.

But seriously, Celtic (KELL-tik) vs. Celtic (SELL-tik)...I've known this since I was a kid. Celts are Scots, Irish, Welsh, Cornish, and a couple of others previously mentioned in the thread. Since all the participating nations are of Celtic heritage, I don't see how it's bigoted to call it a Celtic Cup. If Panama, Paraguay, Mexico and Argentina all played each other and called it a Latin Cup, I don't think there'd be much outrage - since they're all Latin countries, as opposed to the States/Jamaica/etc.

EDIT: Also, Celtic culture is alive and well, with revival movements in Scotland, Ireland and even Wales bringing previously dead/dying Celtic languages (Gaelic, Scots Gaelic, Welsh) back to life. Do you mean to tell me you don't know a different language is spoken in Ireland?

Edited by acrossthepond

But seriously, Celtic (KELL-tik) vs. Celtic (SELL-tik)...I've known this since I was a kid. Celts are Scots, Irish, Welsh, Cornish, and a couple of others previously mentioned....................................

If I remember from my schooldays history lessons the Celtic tribes were active in East Anglia and that Queen Boadcea(spelling) was part of it. I seem to remember that the Celtic tribes in England retreated from the Roman invaders into Cornwall and Wales.

And in under twelve hours I have been utterly trounced. Consider this an official speech of concession, Leazes - you have won the title.

;)

But seriously, Celtic (KELL-tik) vs. Celtic (SELL-tik)...I've known this since I was a kid. Celts are Scots, Irish, Welsh, Cornish, and a couple of others previously mentioned in the thread. Since all the participating nations are of Celtic heritage, I don't see how it's bigoted to call it a Celtic Cup. If Panama, Paraguay, Mexico and Argentina all played each other and called it a Latin Cup, I don't think there'd be much outrage - since they're all Latin countries, as opposed to the States/Jamaica/etc.

EDIT: Also, Celtic culture is alive and well, with revival movements in Scotland, Ireland and even Wales bringing previously dead/dying Celtic languages (Gaelic, Scots Gaelic, Welsh) back to life. Do you mean to tell me you don't know a different language is spoken in Ireland?

Of course. I can see the point. I'm just saying that the vast majority of English football fans will see the name "celtic cup" and associate it with bigotry and sectarianism. I can't see the problem with that, and I think the only people who wouldn't see it are those who have an allegiance to it in some form or other. As you say, these are the "Celts" themselves. But thats predictable. They also don't actually think they are, or admit to being, bigoted in the first place.

It may well be that these teams will play each other, and there won't be any bigoted morons chanting bigoted songs in sight supporting the countries involved, but don't put your house on it.

Who would have thought this would have provoked so much debate, eh?

aye, better not let my Scottish wife see it

;)

;) You've been a miss on here like, I have to admit.

Edited by alex