Owen boost for Big Sam

bawan

Newcastle United boss Sam Allardyce is confident Michael Owen is on course to make an ahead of schedule return from injury.

A torn thigh muscle sustained while on international duty had threatened to sideline the England man for six weeks.

But Allardyce is confident the injury is not as serious as first feared and that his chief goalscorer will be back before Christmas.

"We feel we have speeded up the process and it's going to be a little quicker than we first thought so that's really good news," Allardyce told the club's official website.

"We will only bring him back when he is 100 per cent and will not rush him.

"But we think it's going to be a lot less than six weeks."

Meanwhile, Nicky Butt remains hopeful that his form this season will be enough to earn him fresh terms at St James' Park.

The 31-year-old's contract expires at the end of the season and having won over an initially sceptical Toon faithful, he is keen to remain in the North East.

"When a new manager comes in you have to prove yourself no matter what age you are and no matter how much you've done," Butt added.

"I think I have done that but hopefully the team will improve in the coming weeks because that's the most important thing.

"I want to stay here but that (contract talks) is ongoing at the moment and if that happens that's all well and good."

Yeah, after a bumpy start he's worked hard enough to at least earn him a new contract and would certainly be my main holding m/f player. Not a bad shout for the captaincy either.

But Allardyce is confident the injury is not as serious as first feared and that his chief goalscorer will be back before Christmas.

Chief goalscorer? Since when? ;)

Will be good to have him back like either way.

Done well enough for another year as a squad-filler but Butt's the kind of player we need to be upgrading if we want to get anywhere.

This is very true. The guy's a grafter and a good stopper but he lacks pace and any sort of passing ability. If you look at the likes of Carrick or Hargreaves that is really what you want from your holding midfielder.

Done well enough for another year as a squad-filler but Butt's the kind of player we need to be upgrading if we want to get anywhere.

This is very true. The guy's a grafter and a good stopper but he lacks pace and any sort of passing ability. If you look at the likes of Carrick or Hargreaves that is really what you want from your holding midfielder.

The delusions of grandeur persist.

Lets buy one of those in January eh?

;)

;)

I quite like Butt but I do see DKs point. I think his passing is a bit underrated though. My main problem with Butt is that I think his legs are starting to go. He's been one of our better players this season having said that.

;)

I quite like Butt but I do see DKs point. I think his passing is a bit underrated though. My main problem with Butt is that I think his legs are starting to go. He's been one of our better players this season having said that.

We constantly aspire to better the team, but always get rid of some of our most valuable assets to do it. While he's among our best players I'm not going to start saying he should be replaced. Because he'll end up on top form for some other club and everyone will be saying we should never have let him go.

I think like a few fans, he drastically changed my opinion of him during the friendly against Villarreal a couple of years back.

I think he's been a very good player for us, like has been said, perhaps his legs are going a little and he certainly shouldn't be given a new contract based on playing a key role at SJP but as a squad player he'll be great to have around.

;)

We constantly aspire to better the team, but always get rid of some of our most valuable assets to do it. While he's among our best players I'm not going to start saying he should be replaced. Because he'll end up on top form for some other club and everyone will be saying we should never have let him go.

Can't argue with that mate.