Spreadsheet question

adios

Any of you bright sparks know a spreadsheet program that can handle 500,000 rows. OpenOffice and Excel both stop at 65,536.

Been bugging me all day.

I should specify, it needs to be windows based. I'm designing a system that will allow someone to download am updated list every month, alter it a little and upload.

Basically excel with 7 times the row capacity would do it!

Edited by DotBum

Only real solution is to create a database....

And anything this has more than 65,536 records really should be a database and not a spreadsheet.

From the info you've given I'd knock it up in SQL Server but if you don't have that or you've never used it before, an Access DB will the job OK (although personally I can't stand MS Access!)

And anything this has more than 65,536 records really should be a database and not a spreadsheet.

From the info you've given I'd knock it up in SQL Server but if you don't have that or you've never used it before, an Access DB will the job OK (although personally I can't stand MS Access!)

34296[/snapback]

I love Access me!

I don't like to do anything real on a windows machine, this is all getting uploaded to a postgres db. I used EditPad in the end, one quick find and replace, it's easy enough to explain how to do that every month. Regular Expressions are your friend!

Can't believe excel can't deal with half a million rows now. I'm sure it's been that way for 10 years. I know it's the exception to the rule but this is one case where that capacity would make sense.

Thanks for the info.

34296[/snapback]

I love Access me!

34330[/snapback]

What are you, a fecking hom?? Access smells of the rankest shit!!! :lol:

Hate it with a passion, it's not a database, it's an application with a small, unstable database built in....

SQL Database is king! :nufc:

Jesus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

34335[/snapback]

Not quite the usual excel request, Rob? :nufc:

34337[/snapback]

It was the idea that anyone wouldlike ACCESS toTBH :nufc::nufc::nufc:

34635[/snapback]

Hoo man!

Im a child of the Windows generation, started out teaching myself DataEase and then automatically moved on at work into Access not out of choice but necessity. I dont have any problems with it and find that to do a quick dbase its ideal, drag and drop query design etc.

Basically Im a lazy shite and cant be arsed to type all that SQL malarky. :lol:

you should be able to write in normal English in SQL

34634[/snapback]

Errr.... you can! :razz:

SELECT *

FROM table_premiership

WHERE table_premiership.team_name = 'Newcastle United';

Is about as normal English as you're gonna get in database syntax. You want a difficult database language, have a crack at UML or PROGRESS.... you'll soon find SQL a doddle...

you should be able to write in normal English in SQL

34634[/snapback]

Errr.... you can! :razz:

SELECT *

FROM table_premiership

WHERE table_premiership.team_name = 'Newcastle United';

Is about as normal English as you're gonna get in database syntax. You want a difficult database language, have a crack at UML or PROGRESS.... you'll soon find SQL a doddle...

34915[/snapback]

That's exactly what I mean - to computer nerds that code IS English

to a normal user its not - its a weird bastardised version

Like a lot of computer stufff it was developed in the '60's and '70's for IBM main frames or UNIX midi's and mini's when nerd talked to nerd and the great unwashed knew their place

Tiem has moved on and we're still stuck with all this rubbish - I use a couple of programs that are STILL industry standard but were written in 1974-76 - and GOD! it shows...............

Why can't you just write "I want newcastle United league position" - I guess Google is heading that way..................

Why can't you just write "I want newcastle United  league position"  - I guess Google is heading that way..................

34979[/snapback]

Erm....

Because you're actually querying a computer and not a human being?? Jesus Wept Rob, a database can only return data on a specific query that has to follow logic. What's not simple about that code??

Do you class foreign languages 'nerdy' as well?? Try saying "I want Newcastle United league position" to a Mongolian goat herder, I'm sure you'd get a similar blank response...

:razz:

I gave up writing computer code in 1970

GET

OPEN

CLOSE

WRITE IF:////$$$'MESSAGE'.ahsdghsdfsahgf6545363

God Bless XEROX and God Bless Mr Gates..............

35100[/snapback]

aye it just werent the same after some cocky fooker invented the keyboard was it?

Heres some nostalgia for ya Rob...oh how I hark for the ease and simplicity of punching a hole in a predetermined position to store your code :razz:

removable-storage-punchcard.jpg

Wow!

That was PROGRESS

I started being able to read the holes in 5 column punched paper tape.............

I can remember the first desk top I ever saw - it was at Uni and it was about 15 cm thick, 75 cm wide and 75 cm deep

It took a specially prepared magnetic strip the size of the IBM paper punched card and would carry out

120 - yes I kid you not - 120 consecutive instructions

It was used for astronomy and geochemical work and people came from a distance of 150 miles to see it work..................................

Edited by Rob W