How long has Souness got left?

Ketsbaia

3-0 away win, but the most important thing is the performance.  Hokayyyyyy.

34820[/snapback]

Yes Gemmill, the performance is the most significant thing in a league game, because this is the best indicator of how good we are. I can remember us having several bad results under Robson at the start of the season we came 3rd, but I wasn't concerned a bit because I could see we were a good team. It's a marathon not a sprint after all *insert other cliches here*.

Trust you not to understand this, the Mr McKay voice really suits you!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34820[/snapback]

Yes Gemmill, the performance is the most significant thing in a league game, because this is the best indicator of how good we are. I can remember us having several bad results under Robson at the start of the season we came 3rd, but I wasn't concerned a bit because I could see we were a good team. It's a marathon not a sprint after all *insert other cliches here*.

34827[/snapback]

Glad you like it. The Grim Reaper costume looks good on you too.

34820[/snapback]

34827[/snapback]

34830[/snapback]

Thanks, it a designer fit.

But seriously, do you mainly judge games by results or performances? It's an interesting question and might go some way to explaining why we rarely agree with each other.

I'm also curious to understand how a person who purely looks at a match in terms of goals scored/conceded can argue with Roberts's statistical contribution? :razz:

(Joke, I don't want to go there again!)

34820[/snapback]

34827[/snapback]

34830[/snapback]

But seriously, do you mainly judge games by results or performances? It's an interesting question and might go some way to explaining why we rarely agree with each other.

I'm also curious to understand how a person who purely looks at a match in terms of goals scored/conceded can argue with Roberts's statistical contribution? :razz:

34832[/snapback]

Of course I consider the performance when I watch a match. Look at the match thread, I was going on about how woeful it was all the way through the first half. But we are a team desperately low on confidence, and once the goals went in you could see that coming back. And if we win an away game 3-0 and I can see the goals bringing some confidence back to the team, then I'm not going to dwell on the performance in the first half - I think that's the difference between the two of us tbh. You dwell on the negative more than I do.

34820[/snapback]

34827[/snapback]

34830[/snapback]

34832[/snapback]

Of course I consider the performance when I watch a match. Look at the match thread, I was going on about how woeful it was all the way through the first half. But we are a team desperately low on confidence, and once the goals went in you could see that coming back. And if we win an away game 3-0 and I can see the goals bringing some confidence back to the team, then I'm not going to dwell on the performance in the first half - I think that's the difference between the two of us tbh. You dwell on the negative more than I do.

34835[/snapback]

Maybe you're right there, but lets face it, there's been very little to be positive about since I started posting here. When we do really turn the corner - and that means a sustained run of good performances AND results, I think you'll see a different side to me.

So yes, it was a great result, and there were some individual good performances. But I saw nothing that makes me think we can do anything in this league today. In fact "fluke result papers over cracks" about sums it up for me. As usual, I hope I am wrong mind.

34820[/snapback]

34827[/snapback]

34830[/snapback]

34832[/snapback]

34835[/snapback]

theres a difference between dwelling on the negatives, being realistic, and wearing rose tinted specs

34820[/snapback]

34827[/snapback]

34830[/snapback]

34832[/snapback]

34835[/snapback]

theres a difference between dwelling on the negatives, being realistic, and wearing rose tinted specs

34841[/snapback]

You're right. There is.

First half i was shouting at the TV for the negative football we were producing. The ball went back more times than forward when we were in possession. We made Blackburn look like a half decent team. In particular, Baba and Faye were awful and looked totally out of their depth. Its easy to forget that we were playing with none of our first 11 midfield, something which obviously makes a big difference to any game. But the lack of organisation of the side that was on the pitch today suggests that Souness has little clue. On Sky it said that GS had said that he was not responsible for motivating the players - and that they were big enough to motivate themselves. If the manager doesnt motivate or instruct them of any tactics - what does he actually do????

I'm no fan of Souness and would in the grand scheme of things, like to see him replaced, but.....

There seems to be a pattern amongst some people on here which despite my misgivings of his ability of a manager, I think is unwarranted. Some of you seem to think that:

1. If we lose, it's purely Souness' fault and the players are 'generally' absolved of blame due to his mis-management.

2. If we win, it's got nothing to do with Souness and is a result that the players have crafted out off their own backs.

Shouldn't be like that - we win together and we lose together. If we lose, the manager and the players should take the flak and if we win, the players and the manager should be praised...

If people are being selective as outlined above, then it's beginning to get personal and not a judge of his professional abilities...

Strange day. I took a long train travel to see this game. The first half was awful. No it wasn't awful, it was close to Conference league football.

I was watching the game with a couple of lads from Newcastle and we were all in agreement that another 45 minutes like this and Souness would be out of job the next day. It probably was the worst game of football I have seen for a very long time.

Then we were in agreement again. The 1-0 was a mixture of shear anger and desperation. It was a fantastic well taken free kick, make no mistake about it, but it came totally out of the blue, because nobody was expecting it. The next goal was also well taken, and Zoggies last one was brilliant.

It was a good win and I really hope the team goes from strenth to strength now. I don't mind if it is with Souness or not. Though, but was with todays performance? For over 60 minutes it looked worse than a conference team. A lucky free kick, a cross and a counter attack changed everything. Looking at the squad you think with the likes of Emre, Solano and Parker it would have looked different anyway.Still, I am really sceptical after todays performace. A great win, but probably just an eye teaser. I do think Souness is hanging from game to game. Today 2/3 were plainly rubbish, if the team is building on a win then great, but I never, never want to see anything like the first half again.

1. If we lose, it's purely Souness' fault and the players are 'generally' absolved of blame due to his mis-management.

2. If we win, it's got nothing to do with Souness and is a result that the players have crafted out off their own backs.

Shouldn't be like that - we win together and we lose together. If we lose, the manager and the players should take the flak and if we win, the players and the manager should be praised...

If people are being selective as outlined above, then it's beginning to get personal and not a judge of his professional abilities...

34904[/snapback]

Nobpdy has totally absolved the players of blame, over the two boards you'll find threads having a go at most players we have from one time to another. Boumsong for giving away stupid goals, Shearer for not scoring, Faye for being crap etc. etc.

My stance has never changed whoever the manager has been, they are far and away the most important person at the club and ultimately deserve most of the credit or blame at the end of the season. If it were mostly down to players you wouldn't need a manager and could leave them to it.

The reason people are attribuing the bad to Souness and the good to the players is because the performance was bad and at timed depressing to watch, saved by 2 moments of skill by Zog and a goal a piece from the strikers.

Personally if i'd watched a near 90 minute perfromance that was sharp, full of good football and organised, well thought out tactics and gameplan i'd credit the manager. When we looked shite most of the game and saw 3 moments of skill from players i'm inclined to put the credit with the individuals involved.

Baring in mind what you said PL, do you offer Souness even a modicum of credit for today's win?? After all, in your own words:

"they are far and away the most important person at the club and ultimately deserve most of the credit or blame"

:razz:

Baring in mind what you said PL, do you offer Souness even a modicum of credit for today's win?? After all, in your own words:

"they are far and away the most important person at the club and ultimately deserve most of the credit or blame"

34920[/snapback]

Souness didn't do a lot wrong for me today regarding his team selection, tactics, and substitutions with a very depleted squad (something I partly blame him for, mind). However, we were still desperately poor most the game and this was ONE match. I judge him on what he has done for us in total so far, and also to a lesser extent on what he has done at other clubs. And the bigger picture is, he has done a very poor job overall - I don't see how anyone can deny this.

So yes, he gets a modicum of credit. Which is hugley outweighed by all the crap things he has done. I'd still sack him - my patience ran out long ago.

34920[/snapback]

Its a tough call, because i did indeed say that, though in full i said credit or blame at the end of the season (or end of their time here!!!) as one off games can be down to various people on either side involved.

If you come away from home and win 3-0 it would be harsh to give the manager no credit i suppose, but i'm sure like me you accept we were mostly crap overall and that Zog, shearer and Owen produced a few individual moments to get us out of jail. Also Given's save was crucial as without that we'd have lost.

today,perhaps the result was more important than the performance,even then, overall, i think we deserved the win.it may bring a bit confidence back.parker , maybe emre and solano back for citeh should see a better indication of where we are going.

34948[/snapback]

This is [city] now a crucial match. Win this, and he gets more time. Draw - he's in limbo. Lose and the knives are out again. After city the matches are quite easy on paper - we have to pick up a lot of points in this period. I doubt we will get enough for Europe however.

today,perhaps the result was more important than the performance,even then, overall, i think we deserved the win.it may bring a bit confidence back.parker , maybe emre and solano back for citeh should see a better indication of where we are going.

34948[/snapback]

This is [city] now a crucial match. Win this, and he gets more time. Draw - he's in limbo. Lose and the knives are out again. After city the matches are quite easy on paper - we have to pick up a lot of points in this period. I doubt we will get enough for Europe however.

34967[/snapback]

what happens if we ply well,murder them but only draw(think everton last year)or play shit and win....too easy to put it as you have.

Strange day. I took a long train travel to see this game. The first half was awful. No it wasn't awful, it was close to Conference league football.

I was watching the game with a couple of lads from Newcastle and we were all in agreement that another 45 minutes like this and Souness would be out of job the next day. It probably was the worst game of football I have seen for a very long time.

Then we were in agreement again. The 1-0 was a mixture of shear anger and desperation. It was a fantastic well taken free kick, make no mistake about it, but it came totally out of the blue, because nobody was expecting it. The next goal was also well taken, and Zoggies last one was brilliant.

It was a good win and I really hope the team goes from strenth to strength now. I don't mind if it is with Souness or not. Though, but was with todays performance? For over 60 minutes it looked worse than a conference team. A lucky free kick, a cross and a counter attack changed everything. Looking at the squad you think with the likes of Emre, Solano and Parker it would have looked different anyway.Still, I am really sceptical after todays performace. A great win, but probably just an eye teaser. I do think Souness is hanging from game to game. Today 2/3 were plainly rubbish, if the team is building on a win then great, but I never, never want to see anything like the first half again.

34905[/snapback]

You saw much the same game as me, mostly crap with tree flashes of excellence.

I agree it was a good win, and a very important must win result, but unlike you I would much rather us go forward without SOURNESS. Apart from the three goals there was little else available to us. In the first 60 minutes, we were still fearfull of crossing the halfway line and still playing non-tactical football of 8:2. Granted as the goals came we relaxed and were more stable even with 10 men.

I would be much happier if SOURNESS was not part of our future plans.

Blackburn have this season made it very difficult for any team to play good football in a game. Find me an entertaining Blackburn game this season and I'll find you a real unicorn.

We've come away winning 3-0 at a ground we've never won at in the Premiership, with an injury hit side, and finishing the game with 10 men.

Blackburn have this season made it very difficult for any team to play good football in a game. Find me an entertaining Blackburn game this season and I'll find you a real unicorn.

We've come away winning 3-0 at a ground we've never won at in the Premiership, with an injury hit side, and finishing the game with 10 men.

34995[/snapback]

I agree, thankyou MR SOURNESS for making it all possible, the injuries, the results so far and of course your tremendous tactical skills.

Still can't wait to see the back of him.