Laptop brands...

Smooth Operator

Are Sony better than Acer?

Tesco's have got a Sony Vaio with a duo-core processor and 2gb memory for 499 whilst Asda have a Acer with the same processor and memory for 399.

Thought Vaio's were the daddy and it looks class so is the extra 100 snots warranted?

Are Sony better than Acer?

Tesco's have got a Sony Vaio with a duo-core processor and 2gb memory for 499 whilst Asda have a Acer with the same processor and memory for 399.

Thought Vaio's were the daddy and it looks class so is the extra 100 snots warranted?

Sure it's 2gb and full fat core-duo? Sounds pretty cheap for that even with a tiny screen. I'd have thought that Sony build quality would be better, but with laptops build quality has to be pretty good anyway so...

Sorry. :nufc:

My point was just that it looks an excellent deal when you see it in Tesco (I nearly bought one myself) but the price is par for the course.

FWIW, I've never owned a Sony or an Acer laptop, but I was assured that the Dell I ended up getting was miles better build quality than the Acer. I'd hope the Sony is even better in that regard, and obviously will have the design element. Performance-wise though, I've no idea. Aren't there any reviews online?

Sorry. :nufc:

My point was just that it looks an excellent deal when you see it in Tesco (I nearly bought one myself) but the price is par for the course.

FWIW, I've never owned a Sony or an Acer laptop, but I was assured that the Dell I ended up getting was miles better build quality than the Acer. I'd hope the Sony is even better in that regard, and obviously will have the design element. Performance-wise though, I've no idea. Aren't there any reviews online?

Apology accepted and thanks for getting your act together! :razz:

Found the Sony one for 479 at Curry's. The Acer one seems to have disappeared off the face of the net so my hand may well be forced into getting the Sony. Although I've just seen a Compaq for 399 with the same spec. Compaq doesn't appeal to me though, no real reason behind that tho.

Fuckin hate buying shit like this, and the never ending to and froing between what to get!!

Acer use any parts they can get their hands on, hence why they're cheaper.

NEVER buy one over a Sony.

Bullshit!

It's a known fact that Acer actually supply to most of the other laptop "manufacturers," including Sony.

So SMO if you really want to support the fucking the corporate facists that are Sony, go ahead and pay more for, if they are similar spec, what effectively is the same notebook bar the casing and that logo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_%28company%29

I would go into the shop and have a look at it if I were you. I got a budget laptop a while back and had to take it back, got a new one, then take that back and upgraded to a "name" one (Compaq - I know people turn their nose up at Compaqs, but I've not had a second of bother with this one). Anyway, the reason I said to go and have a look at it is cos you can tell just by the build quality. The one I had, the keyboard rattled a bit when you typed, and it felt very plasticky, and sure enough, it was fucking shite! The Compaq in comparison is sturdy and well put together and has never failed me.

I would go into the shop and have a look at it if I were you. I got a budget laptop a while back and had to take it back, got a new one, then take that back and upgraded to a "name" one (Compaq - I know people turn their nose up at Compaqs, but I've not had a second of bother with this one). Anyway, the reason I said to go and have a look at it is cos you can tell just by the build quality. The one I had, the keyboard rattled a bit when you typed, and it felt very plasticky, and sure enough, it was fucking shite! The Compaq in comparison is sturdy and well put together and has never failed me.

Cheers for that Gemillillionaire.

Seen it in the shop and I'm happy with it but have to order online, only problem is it says you can chose between which graphics card you want but there is no option to do so when you go to buy it and there is no telephone number to ring them up.

Somtimes online shooping is a reet pain in the aris!

Acer's turnaround time for fixing stuff is fucking bollocks. Customer of ours bought two from somewhere online, and they both had problems in the first few months and needed to be returned. It took 4 months. Month and a half of that was trying to get to speak to someone for a returns number, as they constantly treid to fuck you off to the website if you rang, and the website was just as bad. Fucking rubbish.

Was having a play on a Sony Vaio the other day, and it was fucking brill to be honest. Was a pretty high end one though.

Edited by WubbleUC