Larissa snap up Robert

RlCO

Robert finally leaves

by Laurent Picard, 30 November 2007

Laurent Robert has been released by employer Levante after a long dispute.

The former Newcastle star and Portsmouth player joined the Spanish club last term and only appeared 13 times.

The Frenchman was not part of his club’s plans this season and did not train with the squad and did not play competitive football with Levante.

The midfielder was urged to find a new club but his high wage demands made his move impossible. The Reunion Island-born star trained with former club Montpellier and had a trial period with Marseille, but remained under contract until Thursday.

Levante have announced on their official website that the player has been released and is allowed to join another club on a free transfer.

Robert wanted to be paid all his wages before leaving, and it is believed the Frenchman has been offered half. His future certainly lies in Ligue 1 or Ligue 2.

http://www.setantasports.com/en/Sport/News...britain-locale/

And an extract from a translated piece in L'Quipe, nicked from NUFCView

When you look in the mirror, do you think you made some bad career choices?

Yes, I made a mistake especially when leaving Newcastle for Portsmouth. I would have done better to stay in Newcastle, it is a great club. Then, a few choices me prejudiced. I trusted the coaches who told me to do things that they have finally breached.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ginola all over again. Thought he was too good for us. Turns out we were the best thing to happen to him in his whole career.

Even though Ginola was voted best player when he was at Spurs? Or playing for a fantastic team in the Champions League at PSG?

He made his name at newcastle and thats when most people remember his glory days. I wouldnt say PSV were 'fantastic' and he played in the champions league for us iirc?

No he never played in the Champions League for is, Ginola made his name in England for us, but many across the continent already knew of his talents.

PSG weren't fantastic? That team could well have walked away with the European Cup back then. They had Weah, Rai, Ginola, Roche, Djorkaeff and Gomes, one hell of a team.

PSG weren't fantastic? That team could well have walked away with the European Cup back then. They had Weah, Rai, Ginola, Roche, Djorkaeff and Gomes, one hell of a team.

2J, who was 9 or 10 at the time, remembers them well. :unsure:

What's your point? I suppose I can't say Brazil of '70 weren't great then as I wasn't born at the time? :finger:

What's your point? I suppose I can't say Brazil of '70 weren't great then as I wasn't born at the time? :D

It's just the way you speak with such authority on the matter. "One hell of a team. I shat my nappy the first time I saw them! I remember it as if it was yesterday, I was teething at the time." :finger:

What's your point? I suppose I can't say Brazil of '70 weren't great then as I wasn't born at the time? :D

It's just the way you speak with such authority on the matter. "One hell of a team. I shat my nappy the first time I saw them! I remember it as if it was yesterday, I was teething at the time." :finger:

Sorry for taking a past interest in football. :D

Thought he was too good for us.

Disagree with that entirely. He was systematically hounded out by the likes of Souness and Oliver. Otherwise surely he would have been shouting from the rooftops for a European giant to get him.

Unlike Ginola who fired a barrage of abuse as soon as he was over the Tyne Bridge.

Sorry for taking a past interest in football. :D

More importantly, why were you wearing nappies when you were 9 or 10?

He made his name at newcastle and thats when most people remember his glory days. I wouldnt say PSV were 'fantastic' and he played in the champions league for us iirc?

No he never played in the Champions League for is, Ginola made his name in England for us, but many across the continent already knew of his talents.

Leonardo came just after too Ginola left. He was some player for them too.

So much wrong with that post I don't know where to start. :unsure:

It's a catch 22 situation man.

They'l slit your throat for not being old enough to remember John Anderson, or in fact care about him in general and they'l mock you for actually knowing of teams from the past in detail :D

Too perpetual, Too snobby...

You never said that though, you said PSV :unsure: I thought it strange at the time i couldnt remember him playing in holland!

thought he was a top rate player on his day. Felt he bore the brunt of those fans who need a scape goat (Yes Scott I'm talking to you). We could do with his flair and deadball ability that he showed in his first season or so.

anyone remember these?

thought he was a top rate player on his day. Felt he bore the brunt of those fans who need a scape goat (Yes Scott I'm talking to you). We could do with his flair and deadball ability that he showed in his first season or so.

anyone remember these?

Oooo a youtube compilation. Is there one that shows him wandering around the place looking disinterested too? Cos he did that a shitload. As for needing a scapegoat, I don't, I just wasn't blind to the fact that towards the end of his time here he was neither use nor ornament.

Maybe you were at uni at that point so didn't have to sit through it first-hand week after week. :unsure: