Sweden

Southern Geordie

Has anybody ever been there? We're going for a mates 21st in January for a couple of nights. Should be good but I've heard it's quite expensive.

Any good stories of the place? What is the legal drinking age etc? Couldn't turn it down with 20 quid return flights ;)

Sweden is a sort-of publess country. Sorry to disappoint you. There may be some pubs, but mainly you will have to drink in a a restaurant. I've been to Gothenburg and Stockholm, and they were both like this, although its 20 years ago.

Denmark has pubs though, or at least it does where I went.

Somewhere like Amsterdam and Hamburg would have been better IMO

Has anybody ever been there? We're going for a mates 21st in January for a couple of nights. Should be good but I've heard it's quite expensive.

Any good stories of the place? What is the legal drinking age etc? Couldn't turn it down with 20 quid return flights ;)

PM ChezGiven. His bro lives there.

PM ChezGiven. His bro lives there.

Or Meenzer. I think his mam is Swedish.

Aye, I go to Stockholm about once a year on average, though it usually coincides with their Eurovision national final and a weekend of listening to shite music in dodgy gay bars and clubs, which one suspects isn't quite what you had in mind. ;) It's definitely not a publess city, anyway - though Leazes is right insofar as the Swedes do go about their drinking in a different kind of way to us, and anywhere other than Stockholm can be a bit bizarre for a night out.

Anyway, if out-and-out destruction is what you're after, there are certainly better places within a cheap flight's reach - not sure I'd recommend Frankfurt mind, unless you'd have free accommodation there... If you want somewhere that's canny to mooch around during the day too, though, then Stockholm can be lovely for that, especially if the weather's playing nice. As for concrete going-out tips, I reckon someone else like Chez's brother or one of our resident Swedes (if we even have any left?) would be a better bet. But obviously, do come back to me if any of your lot decide they want to discover the pink side of life. ;)

Cheers lads, we're reconsidering cos the wikipedia review of the nightlife there isn't too great. Other options are Prague, Amsterdam or Frankfurt. The guy who's birthday it is fancies going to Frankfurt as he has a Germany friend out there.

My mate went to Prague on a holiday and said the nightlife is great.

Bit rough though. ;)

Cheers Meenzer. We're just looking around again, maybe Brussells would be good.. Not been there for a few years! Ideally we'd go to Prague but the flights are a bit expensive for there.

Brussels is the most boring place on Earth.

I think I've had fun in Frankfurt before, but I might be getting mixed up with Munich. I think Franfurt might be a steelworkers party town, if you get my drift...

Anybody ever been to Milan for a weekend out? We're considering that as its the same price as Sweden, but meant to be better and cheaper.

Milan's canny, the town where the airport is (Bergamo) is lush, but not for your lads weekend - take your lass some other time. Brussels is far from being the most boring place on earth it's a class city, you could travel to Antwep or Ghent for a change, it's not far.

What about Poland? Some cracking places there. We went to this shitty little backwater called Szczecin a year ago, nowt to do but drink. It was a cracking unknown place we only saw one othe english person. But there are loads of other cool (beter) citys

Anybody ever been to Milan for a weekend out? We're considering that as its the same price as Sweden, but meant to be better and cheaper.

Milan's canny, the town where the airport is (Bergamo) is lush, but not for your lads weekend - take your lass some other time. Brussels is far from being the most boring place on earth it's a class city, you could travel to Antwep or Ghent for a change, it's not far.

What about Poland? Some cracking places there. We went to this shitty little backwater called Szczecin a year ago, nowt to do but drink. It was a cracking unknown place we only saw one othe english person. But there are loads of other cool (beter) citys

What exactly is class in Brussels?

What exactly is class in Brussels?

The front carriage of the TVN as you head out to Amsterdam ;)

Dubliner Southside on Södermalm (?) is a good Irish bar with all the football. Good starting place for a night out and there are loads of clubs in the city full of fit birds totally up their own arses. Heaven tbh. I can ask my bro for some proper advice if you decide to go. Benni from ABBA has a good hotel just along the road from there on that island (stockholm is basically 5 islands), the best feature of which is 'the honesty bar' ;) .

I wouldnt bother going in the winter, its fucking freezing and no one goes out. They all get SAD too as they only have 20 minutes of sunlight a day.

The summer however.....

Dubliner Southside on Södermalm (?) is a good Irish bar with all the football. Good starting place for a night out and there are loads of clubs in the city full of fit birds totally up their own arses. Heaven tbh. I can ask my bro for some proper advice if you decide to go. Benni from ABBA has a good hotel just along the road from there on that island (stockholm is basically 5 islands), the best feature of which is 'the honesty bar' ;) .

I wouldnt bother going in the winter, its fucking freezing and no one goes out. They all get SAD too as they only have 20 minutes of sunlight a day.

The summer however.....

Fucking love Stockholm me. Went for a wedding last summer. Bride's family is Swedish and they had the ceremony and reception at the Riddarhuset (House of Nobility).

myraPB-050616-35.jpg

Stayed at the Nordic Light Hotel.

nordic%20light%20web.jpg

hotel7.jpg

nordiclightds4_1.jpg

Fucking class.

The blart is exceptional btw.

Never been to Sweden. Only time I've been to Scandinavia was skiing with the school about 200 years ago. Would love to go to a few places there though. Obviously it would be nice in the summer but I'd love to go and see the Northern Lights in winter too.

That hotel looks lush, is it the one near central station?

Best time to go is June 21st or thereabouts for mid-summer. Everyone heads out to the islands (the archipelago) and gets twatted on schnaps for 2 days. Goes down nicely with the raw fish. (thats not a euphemism btw).

That hotel looks lush, is it the one near central station?

Best time to go is June 21st or thereabouts for mid-summer. Everyone heads out to the islands (the archipelago) and gets twatted on schnaps for 2 days. Goes down nicely with the raw fish. (thats not a euphemism btw).

Finland is good for that kind of activity as well.

Never been to Sweden. Only time I've been to Scandinavia was skiing with the school about 200 years ago. Would love to go to a few places there though. Obviously it would be nice in the summer but I'd love to go and see the Northern Lights in winter too.

Try Finland. High iron content in the volcanic rocks....slows down the brain (magnet). ;)

Try Finland. High iron content in the volcanic rocks....slows down the brain (magnet). ;)

Erm, cheers. ;)