The day you became a mag.

Wavey Davey

My dad's from Northumberland and always supported them so I ended up doing the same, even though/because there aren't any big football teams in Cornwall (where I grew up). All through the glory years (1970s) of Liverpool/Nottingham Forest (I have to confess to supporting Forest myself for a few weeks.....) there wasn't too much to get excited about ;) especially as I couldn't get to any games. The first time I remember there actually being an upside to supporting Newcastle was when Keegan signed as a player in 82(ish). Of course I got accused of jumping on the bandwagon but I didn't care, it was more exciting than anything I'd known beforehand.

So as to the original question I'd have to say the day I became a Mag was the day I wore my first replica kit - horrible nylon with a big plasticky star on the front - for games at school aged about 8 or 9 and had the piss thoroughly taken out of me. Yay. ;)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say about 1983, can only have been about six. Was given the chance to support Man U or Citeh to be fair (fatha took me to both their games as a bairn) but as soon as I found out who he supported then it didnt matter. You just want to be like your old man at that age-apparently I used to follow him around the house with my Fisher Price tool kit when he was doing odd jobs and the same psychology applied re the footy I'm sure.

My dad's from Northumberland and always supported them so I ended up doing the same, even though/because there aren't any big football teams in Cornwall (where I grew up). All through the glory years (1970s) of Liverpool/Nottingham Forest (I have to confess to supporting Forest myself for a few weeks.....) there wasn't too much to get excited about ;) especially as I couldn't get to any games. The first time I remember there actually being an upside to supporting Newcastle was when Keegan signed as a player in 82(ish). Of course I got accused of jumping on the bandwagon but I didn't care, it was more exciting than anything I'd known beforehand.

So as to the original question I'd have to say the day I became a Mag was the day I wore my first replica kit - horrible nylon with a big plasticky star on the front - for games at school aged about 8 or 9 and had the piss thoroughly taken out of me. Yay. ;)

I dreamed of having a plasticky star tbh. My first shirt didnt have one. Did they sell iron-on transfers or summat, I cannat remember? They didnt sell them in Manchester like, obviously.

So as to the original question I'd have to say the day I became a Mag was the day I wore my first replica kit - horrible nylon with a big plasticky star on the front - for games at school aged about 8 or 9 and had the piss thoroughly taken out of me. Yay. :P

I dreamed of having a plasticky star tbh. My first shirt didnt have one. Did they sell iron-on transfers or summat, I cannat remember? They didnt sell them in Manchester like, obviously.

;)

It was a mate of my Dad's who sent them down (one for me, one for my brother). He still has a season ticket as do his sons. They're good lads all of them. I'll see if I can find a pic of which version it was...

Gateshead was in the 4th. Division so it was natural for schoolboys to dream of that lot across the river.

Not sure exactly when the love and devotion took hold but it may have been when my dad came back from the war and was demobbed, started taking me to watch, and Albert Stubbins may have had a hand in it.

I'm sure I had an interest earlier but 1946-1947 was probably when I was smitten.

I'm crap with dates and that, so I had to look it up. First match was 29/08/1993 vs Blackburn (yes I'm a Keegan bandwagoner). I remember Cole bundling it in by the post to put us ahead, and Shearer equalising and running to the away fans arm aloft.

I was 14 and only just allowed to go with my brother after the couple of years he's been going with his mates. But he was really ill on the day so I just went up with his (17 and 18 year old) mates that I hardly new. I still sit with one of them. Other than the two vague memories above, there's also the memory of being slipped snide pints in the Farmers Rest.

A couple of weeks before we'd drawn at Man U after a dodgy start to the season. Andy Cole got "switched off" by Barry Venison in a godawful suit on Match of the day.

First live victory I saw was a few weeks later when we trounced Shef Wed in an evening kick-off.

The other abiding memory from that season is watching us trounce Wimbledon and being truly awestruck by the volume in St James' for the first time, but moreso by the vitriol thrown at the Wimbledon players.

I'm crap with dates and that, so I had to look it up. First match was 29/08/1993 vs Blackburn (yes I'm a Keegan bandwagoner). I remember Cole bundling it in by the post to put us ahead, and Shearer equalising and running to the away fans arm aloft.

I was 14 and only just allowed to go with my brother after the couple of years he's been going with his mates. But he was really ill on the day so I just went up with his (17 and 18 year old) mates that I hardly new. I still sit with one of them. Other than the two vague memories above, there's also the memory of being slipped snide pints in the Farmers Rest.

A couple of weeks before we'd drawn at Man U after a dodgy start to the season. Andy Cole got "switched off" by Barry Venison in a godawful suit on Match of the day.

First live victory I saw was a few weeks later when we trounced Shef Wed in an evening kick-off.

The other abiding memory from that season is watching us trounce Wimbledon and being truly awestruck by the volume in St James' for the first time, but moreso by the vitriol thrown at the Wimbledon players.

Alex Matthie unintentional screamer iirc? Didnt Malcolm Allen bag in that game as well? lol.

The scoreline flattered a bit (Chris Waddle ran the show for a spell) but it really did feel fucking amazing that win.

Alex Matthie unintentional screamer iirc? Didnt Malcolm Allen bag in that game as well? lol.

The scoreline flattered a bit (Chris Waddle ran the show for a spell) but it really did feel fucking amazing that win.

Aye. Three goals in the last 10 minutes or something to come from behind. I thought Malcolm Allen was mint. Supersub ;)

Aye. Three goals in the last 10 minutes or something to come from behind. I thought Malcolm Allen was mint. Supersub ;)

Ugly cunt like.

Like I said in the other thread, conceived in the Leazes end during the Arsenal game of Jan 69, as a sperm I came out singing Blaydon Races.

Mr.Peasepud, on your coming out gig were the other sperms singing in harmonic unison or were you singing solo?

Oh, and did you know all the words?

I first became interested when we signed Keegan as a player. Signing half decent players didn't happen in those days, let alone the captain of England - the Chronicle went beserk about it for weeks IIRC..

My first match was in 1986. We played Liverpool at home on the first day of the season and lost 2-0.

I supported celtic as a young kid for some reason! I think its cos i got the tracksuit for xmas when i was about 5. Was on special offer at intersport or something!

Started supporting the toon a couple of years later when i got a horrendous goalie top with the Blue Star logo on the front with the Newcastle skyline printed on it. Cant remember which years it was

Edited by J69

Guest Patrokles
A gradual thing between 94 and 96.

Same, I just didn't want to support Liverpool/Arsenal/Man U like everyone else I knew at the time.

Mary, Mary. ;) ;)

I'll never be a "MAG". Mag and Mags in my experience are something out of towners call us, particularly mackems. I think if you're from NE1-NE29 you should have no choice of team. My first game we beat Liverpool 1-0 1985, but I was a toon fan well before that in my head.

As much as it pains me to admit this I have to agree with stevie, I fucking hate the term Mag! It's the toon.

The rest of stevie's post is the usual shite so I can feel better about not agreeing with him completely.

It would have been around the mid 70s when I first started playing football. Saturday afternoons on the ABC the old man and I would watch the English football highlights program, his way of making sure I was even more enthused about the game. Then one day he told me I should pick a team, so being born in Newcastle of course I picked them, how was I to know at that age it wasn't the same Newcastle. So since then I've always supported the toon. In the 80s when football almost died a death and we didn't get even a highlights package, I'd still search out their results in the newspaper every Monday or Tuesday, if I was lucky there might be a couple of lines in a story on the weekend’s results. Occasionally if we were really lucky you’d get an article in the Australian Soccer weekly. I suppose that gives me a magness of -459 but fuck it, I can't stand Collingwood.