losing your accent

Dr Gloom

I didn't lose my accent when I was in England but I did slow it down and was told that it was noticeably more pronounced when I returned after being home for a while.

Edited by ewerk

Never had much of an accent to begin with. Certainly picked up the "student accent" though. can't help it though, just pronouncing words differently is one thing, but I also use different dialect as well. I've got mates with the public school twang to their accents and speech so I've picked up some of that as well. Plus the Leeds bits aqnd bobs I've unfortunately picked up.

If I'm up here for a week or so and hang around with old mates I'll pick that up too.

It's really embarrassing when i spend a lot of time with people with broad regional accents that are totally different to my own, cockneys, Northern Irish, Glaswegian etc. because I subconciously begin talking like them, but very very poorly ;)

In general I admire people who keep it eg Lawrie MacMenemy rather than people who semi-deliberately lose it eg Waddler.

Waddle's accent is appalling when he's on Five Live talking about a 'gime' and 'couches'. Awful.

Edited by Tom_NUFC

if you work somewhere different you start to pick up the local words and accent - especially words that are useful

normally that becomes your "usual" voice

but you normally shift back into the original (but not quite 100%) when you are with your mates or family - y'all

Guest stevieintoon

I think I have a pretty strong geordie accent. I don't speak like a charver, but obviously I've got a distinct Newcastle accent. However, when I worked in Sunderland, I didn't notice it myself, but little mackem pronunciations were coming in to my voice ;) just the odd word, but it was bad enough. I'd use "probablies" like the mackems and South Tynesiders use, I was there four years, but as soon as I left, there were no more mackem words spoken by me.

I think I have a pretty strong geordie accent. I don't speak like a charver, but obviously I've got a distinct Newcastle accent. However, when I worked in Sunderland, I didn't notice it myself, but little mackem pronunciations were coming in to my voice :yes just the odd word, but it was bad enough. I'd use "probablies" like the mackems and South Tynesiders use, I was there four years, but as soon as I left, there were no more mackem words spoken by me.

Still remember hearing you on the legends mate. ;)

worlds worst sounding accent is the "geordie" on big brother. Probably a mixed marriage runt from washington(half geordie half mackem) who spent 10 years in london at art college, and bums the director.

Those are the images i get from hearing his accent. ie pretty cringeworthy stuff.

Done think much of jane middlemiss either.

I don't think I have an accent but do get called a "Cockney" by all the Northern Monkeys who think any accent down south is cockney :rolleyes::yes

Aye, we were standing outside the pub at Fulham and Matt (I think it was) pointed out that the good citizens of west London must be absolutely gutted when we sing "We hate Cockneys and we hate Cockneys" ;)

I think you adapt your accent depending on who you're speaking to or where you are. Wifes family are all coc-ker-knee and if I go down there it takes a couple of days and lot of pardons before they understand a word of what I'm saying - and that's because I relaise I have to tone it down. My mam is the funniest though, her accent is rough as fuck to be fair yet if she rings me from work it's like talking to the Queen.