ITT: Defend Obafemi Martins

Guest Patrokles

Guest Patrokles

Stick to the topic. Regardless of what you think of Allardyce or the rest of the team, try to convincingly justify Martins' continued presence in the side.

Personally, I can't.

Guest Patrokles
Thought he did well today.

Forced to play out of position, but did the job well. Never got a run with the ball. Smith is the one who's been average for the last two games.

Smith did infinitely more today than Martins, even though the former wasn't astonishing. Which, I feel, says a lot about the latter. The reason Martins didn't get a run was because he either chose not to, or wasn't able to because the ball didn't stick at his feet at all.

Forced to play out of position, but did the job well. Never got a run with the ball. Smith is the one who's been average for the last two games.

And shite for every other game.

Guest Patrokles

Off topic.

Smith just seems to not have a striker's touch anymore (if he ever did). The odd time he'll play some weird part in the build up of a goal (like Viduka's first today). Most times he doesnt look to shoot, like controlling the ball on the edge of the box putting it onto his left foot.

Off topic.

You're the one who brought him up.

Edited by ewerk

Guest Patrokles

Off topic.

Poor argument. Was in comparison to Martins' first-touch/hold-up & linking play. Try again.

Off topic.

Poor argument. Was in comparison to Martins' first-touch/hold-up & linking play. Try again.

Ok then, how about I don't give a flying fuck if I go off topic in your thread, that ok for you?

Smith did infinitely more today than Martins, even though the former wasn't astonishing. Which, I feel, says a lot about the latter. The reason Martins didn't get a run was because he either chose not to, or wasn't able to because the ball didn't stick at his feet at all.

But smith is a striker who hasnt scored a league goal in 2 YEARS. 24 MONTHS. 104 WEEKS. That has to be the poorest record in the league. And he doesnt look like breaking it any time soon. He takes an age to even think about getting a shot off.

Martins may do plenty wrong but he always looks infinitely more likely to score than smith does

How the fuck can you try and judge him on match were he was played moronically out of position for fuck sake.

Enough people were quick to judge Smith when playing in midfield...

And Smith has rammed that judgement down peoples throats when he's been played in his correct position ???

How the fuck can you try and judge him on match were he was played moronically out of position for fuck sake.

And Smith has rammed that judgement down peoples throats when he's been played in his correct position ???

No, but Martins clearly has. :lol:

When was the last time Smith scored again, remind me ?

You mean apart from being our top scorer?

You mean apart from being our top scorer?

Despite mostly coming on from the bench or being played out on the right wing.

I find it absolutely astonishing that people feel the need to constantly have a go at Martins when there are two players - Smith and Barton - who continue to contribute absolutely fuck all to the team. It's amazing that people are surprised England didn't qualify for the Euros when you consider that Barton and Smith are/were part of the England squad. Overrated beyond belief.

I know I didn't stick to the topic there, but I had to get that off my chest.

What an utter waste of £12m. Utter rubbish.

Its ok, Martins is the Allardyce appologists scape-goat, the more Oba gets criticised its more and more like and admition that Fat Sam is shite.

The argument that Martins is better than Smith is like saying stubbing your toe is better than standing on a nail.

I don't think there's anyone saying he's flawless, he can be infuriating at times but at the moment he's the best we've got.