Appeal For Maddy

Guest Patrokles

Don't get me fucking started.

The way the British media have drooled over this photogenic white child is sickening. Hundreds of children go missing every year and yet because she's a bonny child from a middle class family it's front page news not just for a week, or a month but for over half the year. It's a sad situation but I am far past the same point as Patrokles and never want to see that childs face on my TV screen again.

I don't really care for the parents either and I pity those who gave money to the 'Maddie fund' only to have it spent on paying their mortgage.

Don't get me fucking started.

The way the British media have drooled over this photogenic white child is sickening. Hundreds of children go missing every year and yet because she's a bonny child from a middle class family it's front page news not just for a week, or a month but for over half the year. It's a sad situation but I am far past the same point as Patrokles and never want to see that childs face on my TV screen again.

I don't really care for the parents either and I pity those who gave money to the 'Maddie fund' only to have it spent on paying their mortgage.

This.

...and on a practical note... is there anyone on the planet who hasn't already heard the story, seen the photo, etc? Seems rather pointless to me.

I know that hundreds of families loose children every year in what is a horrific situation. Because we seldom hear of any of them (or if we do its usually when the worst fears have been realised), but does that mean every situation such as this should be ignored as its the norm? Just because one family manages to have a media campaign doesnt mean it should be ignored or that campaign spat at - just because YOU are bored of it? Imagine how they fucking feel! If you dont like it, turn the fucking TV over. To switch off, isnt an option they have.

The coverage it has gotten is massively out of proportion which isn't a dig at the parents at all as they are bound to keep this going until she is found, dead or alive. I'm just not sure why all the news programmes felt he need to have the latest message as one of their main stories. As others have alluded to, parents in similar situations must feel somewhat cheated that they haven't had anywhere near this level of help.

I agree in thats it cant be right that so many kids go missing and we dont hear a thing. Also, we couldnt have the same coverage about every child going missing or there would be nothing else on TV and papers would be ten times the size. It would also dilute the message.

I dont know what the answer is, but while I sometimes skip reading the stories in the paper or dont always stay glued when the story latest is on the news, I cant persecute these parents for doing all they can to find their child.

I think the period when the media decided it would be of interest if they (the parents) were put in the targets due to fictional evidence, raised interest again. It seems to be roller coaster like.

On another note, when this is concluded one way or another. I hope they use the fund to set something up to help other parents of missing children. To educate with their own experiences.

I agree in thats it cant be right that so many kids go missing and we dont hear a thing. Also, we couldnt have the same coverage about every child going missing or there would be nothing else on TV and papers would be ten times the size. It would also dilute the message.

I dont know what the answer is, but while I sometimes skip reading the stories in the paper or dont always stay glued when the story latest is on the news, I cant persecute these parents for doing all they can to find their child.

But they should prosecuted for being unfit parents.

Well yes, thats a whole other arguement. While I may appear to be sticking up for their campaign, I dont for one second think they were right to leave the kids alone. Even if it was only 20yds away or whatever.

Its only stayed in the news so long because they've not found a body really. In previous cases of child disappearances, eg those 2 girls in Soham, Sara Payne etc the body is found within a few weeks. The fact its 6 months or so just adds to the mystery and it fills collumns for the newspapers. Its getting a bit annoying now but I can see why the media have continued it.

The white, pretty, middle class argument is bollocks aswell imo - how many times do kids go missing in circumstances like this?

Yes the parents were incredibly dumb and their descision to leave the children was ultimately resposible for her disapearance, and yes I totally agree if it had been Wanye from a council estate from Essex then there would have not been a campaign on the same scale, but what I do know, is if it had been my child abducted I too would have done ANYTHING in my power to aid her return, anything.

I don't see why the McCann's should be chastised for having certain things at their disposal, they just want their little girl back, and I won't hold that against them.

Yes the parents were incredibly dumb and their descision to leave the children was ultimately resposible for her disapearance, and yes I totally agree if it had been Wanye from a council estate from Essex then there would have not been a campaign on the same scale, but what I do know, is if it had been my child abducted I too would have done ANYTHING in my power to aid her return, anything.

I don't see why the McCann's should be chastised for having certain things at their disposal, they just want their little girl back, and I won't hold that against them.

Spot on.

Its only stayed in the news so long because they've not found a body really. In previous cases of child disappearances, eg those 2 girls in Soham, Sara Payne etc the body is found within a few weeks. The fact its 6 months or so just adds to the mystery and it fills collumns for the newspapers. Its getting a bit annoying now but I can see why the media have continued it.

The white, pretty, middle class argument is bollocks aswell imo - how many times do kids go missing in circumstances like this?

I can think of another one this year, when the black child of a British man (from Murton, actually) was abducted in Nigeria. There was far more 'newsworthy' information available at the disposal of the media yet it barely got a mention.

I also think that certain areas of the media and their fascination with paedophilia is another reason why this story refuses to go away.

EDIT - http://www.sunderlandecho.com/breaking-new...ched.3010167.jp Story in question.

Edited by Skol

I can think of another one this year, when the black child of a British man (from Murton, actually) was abducted in Nigeria. There was far more 'newsworthy' information available at the disposal of the media yet it barely got a mention.

I also think that certain areas of the media and their fascination with paedophilia is another reason why this story refuses to go away.

EDIT - http://www.sunderlandecho.com/breaking-new...ched.3010167.jp Story in question.

Tbf that story had a fair bit of coverage and she was returned after only a few days.

Tbf that story had a fair bit of coverage and she was returned after only a few days.

Gone for a few weeks wasn't she? Especially since they were demanding her father in exchange.

The problem I have with this whole thing is the stupidity of the British public, those who feel that its a good idea to spend money buying a missing child christmas presents. The purchase of a "Baby doll that cries and farts" is not going to get her returned, if (hopefully when) she does become reunited with her family then "oh and heres a game from Mrs Smith in Dudley" is probably the last thing they'll be saying. If these people thought half as much about the children in homes or orphans then maybe the world would be a slightly better place.

Thats nothing against the family or anyone connected, but if she reappeared at this moment then Im sure she'd have the biggest christmas ever irresepctive of what Mrs Jones spent her pension money on.