Blades agree deal to sign Speed

Craig

Sheffield United have agreed a deal to sign Gary Speed from Bolton on 1 January, BBC Radio Sheffield reports.

The 38-year-old will join the Blades on a short-term loan before signing permanently for a fee around £250,000.

The former Wales captain is expected to make his debut against Wolves at Molineux on New Year's Day.

Blades' chairman Terry Robinson said Speed will sign an 18-month playing contract with an option for a further 12 months as a coach.

Robinson said: "He has a wealth of experience and will drive on the rest of our midfield.

"He feels Sheffield United can be a major driving force in English football and we hope he'll help bring some success back to the club "

Boss Bryan Robson said: "I tried to get Gary before the season started but Bolton wouldn't release him.

"Since then I spoke to Sammy Lee before deadline day and then Gary Megson but got the same answer so it has been an ongoing thing."

Robinson also revealed the Blades hope to make a loan deal for Manchester United's Phil Bardsley permanent, as well as finalising moves for a central midfield player and a wide man.

He said on Bardsley: "We have a deal in place with Manchester United for Phil and it's now down to us to agree personal terms. The fee will be close to a £1m."

Bolton manager Gary Megson said that Speed was leaving with their blessing.

"Gary wants games and at his age it's important for him to play," he said.

"While we don't want to lose someone of his undoubted talent and ability it is a good move for him and I am sure he'll do well at Sheffield.

"He's a model professional and has been absolutely 100% since I came here and we wish him well."

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...utd/7158844.stm

I dunno about the rest of you but I think we've missed a real trick here.... :lol:

I dunno about the rest of you but I think we've missed a real trick here.... :lol:

Exactly what I said to me fatha when it came on the radio.

EDIT: Though Speed probably didn't want to come as he's gone to a club for first team football, which he'd not get here.

Edited by Happy Face