Sam Allardyce blames 'outside influences

Jimbo

After bookmakers shortened the odds on Sam Allardyce losing his job, the Newcastle United manager yesterday remained philosophical about the "outside influences" intensifying the atmosphere and speculation around St James' Park.

Allardyce is an odds-on favourite to be jobless before the end of the season and to be the next top-flight manager to leave his post but he remains unperturbed, buoyed by what he insists is a healthy relationship with Newcastle owner Mike Ashley and chairman Chris Mort.

Sam Allardyce blames outside influences

Going nowhere: Sam Allardyce says he and Michael Owen are both staying at Newcastle United

"I talk to the chairman on a regular basis," Allardyce said. "I talk to Mike Ashley, or sometimes there is no need to. He is kept informed on a regular basis by the chairman but we have a regular conversation.

"I do not have any problems or worries as far as they are concerned. The pressure that has been put on them as well as me, they understand, is outside influences trying to exert pressure on them."

Allardyce spoke out following a weekend when former Newcastle captain Alan Shearer was linked with the role after it emerged he was eager to enter management.

"It [shearer's name] has always been there and always will be," Allardyce said. "There is nothing more to say on the subject."

advertisement

With Martin Jol also mooted as a possible replacement, Mort had sought to clarify matters by stating: "All this makes me laugh and I find all this speculation tedious. There is a different name every week and there is just no truth in it."

Despite speculation mounting over his future due to a string of poor results, it was a case of business as usual for Allardyce as the January transfer window loomed.

"I'm putting players forward to the chairman and decisions will be made from there," Allardyce, 53, said. "I was never given an indication of a budget in the summer. We went from player to player if and when, and it will be similar in January."

As for possible departures, he added: "We have no offers from anyone. It would have to be a very lucrative offer for anyone to move away from the club unless someone tells me they do not want to stay."

Michael Owen has previously been linked with a move to Manchester City, who visit St James' Park tomorrow, but Allardyce said: "There has been nothing from Manchester City to Newcastle United about Michael Owen."

Allardyce is now weighing up whether Owen is ready to start his first game in six weeks following a thigh injury.

Better than 'blaming' his players. He needs to blame himself for buying those players tbh. You can guarantee when this all goes sour and he gets sacked, which he will, hes never going to be out of the papers saying how he didnt have a fair chance, it was everyone elses fault, newcastle will never go anywhere blah blah blah.

Would "outside influences" include the fans who pay the bastards wages?

If he's suggesting the fans are influenced by Shearer, Alan Oliver, Osama Bin Laden or George Bush he can fuck right off as well - they are influenced by the utter drivel his team is serving up.

fucks sake he replied to a journo and you lot are acting like he's calling a press conference just so he can spit out his dummy.

Of course if he doesn't answer these endless and already denied rumours you'd say that he doesn't care, doesn't know or is hiding.

laughable really

unless they read a paper or listen to the radio or have mates who can tell them what he's said...

oh and exactly how many people have no access to the internet these days?

unless they read a paper or listen to the radio or have mates who can tell them what he's said...

oh and exactly how many people have no access to the internet these days?

Who believes quotes in a paper or from their mates? And who listens to the radio anymore? I certainly wouldn't be tuning into the radio when final score is on.

And it's pretty harsh to make internet access a mandatory requirment for being a Toon fan.

so you're saying you don't believe these quotes?

Ordering and formatting quotes in a press piece can give a different impression to a TV interview. You never heard of the phrase 'mis-quoted'?

course I have, this is a paper article... I'm not sure we're arguing about the same thing...

The irony that it's quite easy to get a quote from him to produce pieces like this, and the consequent 'shut up you fat bastard' responses, but he is non existant if you get your info from BBC tv.