According to the beeb we need......

sammynb

NEWCASTLE

What they need?

A new back four might help, creativity up front and cover during the African Cup of Nations.

Possible activity

The Newcastle board may well be presented a long list of targets by boss Sam Allardyce with a top-class defender presumably at the top of it. Brazilian Edmilson, Alan Hutton and Wes Brown have all been linked with Newcastle, while promising Swindon left-back Ben Tozer will arrive imminently.

Toon fans are crying out for attractive football so Allardyce might want to appease them with a playmaker. Shola Ameobi, Stephen Carr and Celestine Babayaro all look certain to depart.

Who have they been linked with?

Brown, Hutton, Edmilson, Peter Crouch, Tozer, Ivica Dragutinovic, Andrey Arshavin, Luis Garcia.

Who do you want them to buy?

"The main players we need are a young back-up full-back and a creative midfielder: Zuiverloon and Arshavin."

zeTom1

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/e...rem/7161356.stm

No mention of a decent manager.

Mind you they have Gudjohnsen going to pompey!

I think we need a new LB so that we have Enrique + 1 for that spot. That would then give us Milner, Zog & Duff to cover the wings and stop the need to keep playing Smith or Geremi out there.

We do need a playmaker in the centre. I'd be happy to see Barton shipped out (unlikely) and if need be Emre (he's decidedly average but prob out best at the moment).

With Martins on his way, we do need cover up front. I think Shola has had his day. While Owen is coming back, chances of him and Viduka staying fit are slim.

So in a 3/3 scenario

OUT

Ameobi

Emre

Carr

IN

New LB

New CM

New CF

Someone needs to tell the beeb that Baba has already gone :good:

I think we need a new LB so that we have Enrique + 1 for that spot. That would then give us Milner, Zog & Duff to cover the wings and stop the need to keep playing Smith or Geremi out there.

We do need a playmaker in the centre. I'd be happy to see Barton shipped out (unlikely) and if need be Emre (he's decidedly average but prob out best at the moment).

With Martins on his way, we do need cover up front. I think Shola has had his day. While Owen is coming back, chances of him and Viduka staying fit are slim.

So in a 3/3 scenario

OUT

Ameobi

Emre

Carr

IN

New LB

New CM

New CF

Someone needs to tell the beeb that Baba has already gone :good:

Id be flogging Butt, Geremi, Smith or Barton before Emre! Hes the only midfielder we have with any sort of creativity at all!

Id be flogging Butt, Geremi, Smith or Barton before Emre! Hes the only midfielder we have with any sort of creativity at all!

See that's what Allardyce has reduced us to, the belief that Emre is our creative saviour.

Consistantly since he joined the toon, Emre has found himself missing more often than not.

(By the way I agree with selling the rest of the huffas'n'puffas but I'd keep Butt as backup).

I'd take a attacking midfielder, a center half of genuine quality and a flair player for the bench. Someone Young who could change things with blind faith in their own ability, pace and decent enough control. Someone like Lomana LuaLua. You knew when he came off the bench he'd try the tricks and flicks and he was a decent squad striker, certainly changed things when he came on.

Obviously I don't want him, but someone with that, randomness to their play would be beneficial when we're struggling to break down teams.