Milner

David Kelly

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we all know milner isn't the greatest, but there are a fair few ahead of him that deserve more stick than he does.

Not last night :good:

he had a stinker last night but over the course of this season, he's contributed far more than smith, barton, geremi et al

we all know milner isn't the greatest, but there are a fair few ahead of him that deserve more stick than he does.

Not last night :good:

he had a stinker last night but over the course of this season, he's contributed far more than smith, barton, geremi et al

More rather than 'far more' imo. Not just me being a pedant, he hasn't done much this season.

We do have plenty of other useless twats who probably are more deserving of stick. I just wanted to point out how bad it is that the player we have who comes in for the least stick is generally average at best. He has no pace, no vision (as we saw last night when he beat his man and acres in front for him to run into only for him to keep his head down and try and beat the man again and lose the ball) and no quality whatsoever in his distribution.

He appears to be a model pro and should be commended for his attitiude but if anyone thinks that makes him a good player they deserve to watch the shite that's being offered up at the moment.

They could do but Milner has never looked like he had any quality in his deliver in four years.

Mind you it has improved, his first season he just kicked the ball into the crowd now he hits the first defender!

Its certainly something that can be worked on in training though. I have no reason to believe he cant improve his game as he gets older.

Milner is more effective on the left but I agree that he needs to add a final delivery to his game otherwise he will just be run-of-the-mill. Our team is so one-paced when Milner, Smith, Butt, Viduka, Barton, Geremi, Emre, Viduka are around. We need that extra bit of quality and pace out wide like Zog offers us from left back!

I hope this problem is addressed in this transfer window because it is the difference between us and teams like Aston Villa, Pompey, Man City and Spurs at the moment (we wish this was the only problem!). We need pace and creativity and this doesn't come cheap. If this problem isn't addressed by Sam or the next man we can only hope for mid-table football.

Edited by bassplayerjj

They could do but Milner has never looked like he had any quality in his deliver in four years.

Mind you it has improved, his first season he just kicked the ball into the crowd now he hits the first defender!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjHXkOEx_Ao

that was actually a lovely team goal. Spread the ball well. One-twos. A bit of wing wizardy. BOSH!

Guest Patrokles
I know there are probably stronger contenders within our ranks for stick but somehow Milner seems to be spared from any criticism on the basis that his attitude was good when he had his transfer pulled at the last minute last season and it's getting on my nerves now.

His attitude is good every single second of every single game is probably more of a reason he's spared criticism. He's got more skill and technique than someone who is far more of a fan favourite, Martins. You criticise his delivery, which is fair enough at times, but if he nailed it, then we'd have an extremely good winger.

Guest Patrokles
I like Milner, but he really lacks quality. I don't see why Martins is getting plenty of stick when he's done definitely more than Milner has in the past year, overall.

Probably because Milner has a first touch.

I like Milner, but he really lacks quality. I don't see why Martins is getting plenty of stick when he's done definitely more than Milner has in the past year, overall.

Probably because Milner has a first touch.

I know you can say all sorts of critical things about Martins, but the point stands - he's done far more than most of the other players, so why give him more stick? Doesn't make sense. In any case, we've seen some great first touches from him also, such as goal against City in the away game.

I was at work for the man city game listening to it on century and the commentator (mick martin i think) was absolutely murdering martins! It was as if he played for sunderland the bashing he was getting, but he just couldnt believe after years of playing football at the top level he still has the footballing brain of a 12 year old. 9 times out of 10 if theres a right option to take and a wrong one, hel take the wrong one!

Milner is more effective on the left but I agree that he needs to add a final delivery to his game otherwise he will just be run-of-the-mill. Our team is so one-paced when Milner, Smith, Butt, Viduka, Barton, Geremi, Emre, Viduka are around. We need that extra bit of quality and pace out wide like Zog offers us from left back!

I hope this problem is addressed in this transfer window because it is the difference between us and teams like Aston Villa, Pompey, Man City and Spurs at the moment (we wish this was the only problem!). We need pace and creativity and this doesn't come cheap. If this problem isn't addressed by Sam or the next man we can only hope for mid-table football.

Are you trying to say Viduka is twice as slow as everyone else?

If the team stopped kicking the ball at his head or 15 yard infront of him Viduka wouldn't be wasted, he's lazy but he's got some skill. Look at that back heal dink he played the other night to Duff, if he of pulled the trigger it would of been a great attempt on goal, instead he wait and had it taken off his toe.

What was terrible about Milner's peformance against citeh was he played the full ninety minutes on the right and had probably his worse game this season. Why the fuck, regardless of what side he plays on, does he feel the need to turn inside of his defender?

It is the easiest job for a defender to turn inside, the ball is passing the front of them, on their natural foot and tackle!!! Whereas, go round them and they have to use their weaker foot and also maintain balance and then accelerate to catch the player going past them.

It's fucking school boys level football.

Edited by sammynb

Are you trying to say Viduka is twice as slow as everyone else?

If the team stopped kicking the ball at his head or 15 yard infront of him Viduka wouldn't be wasted, he's lazy but he's got some skill. Look at that back heal dink he played the other night to Duff, if he of pulled the trigger it would of been a great attempt on goal, instead he wait and had it taken off his toe.

What was terrible about Milner's peformance against citeh was he played the full ninety minutes on the right and had probably his worse game this season. Why the fuck, regardless of what side he plays on, does he feel the need to turn inside of his defender?

It is the easiest job for a defender to turn inside, the ball is passing the front of them, on their natural foot and tackle!!! Whereas, go round them and they have to use their weaker foot and also maintain balance and then accelerate to catch the player going past them.

I wasn't knocking Viduka's skill, and much like Kluivert who was never played the way he should have been, he needs it to feet in and around the box like Bergkamp/Kanu to make use of what he has to offer. I was just adding Viduka to the list of midfield and attacking players who lack pace =)

Milner's not quick enough to go on the outside, that's why he invariably cuts in. Watch Zog and how he usues the option to burst past on the outside on occasions. You'll never see Milner do that, and if he tries, he gets caught and disposessed.

He's slow as anything, and I quite like the lad. I see him more as a squad player here than getting into the England squad. I can think of several players ahead of him in the pecking order for the wing berths for the national team. i know he's young but I don't think there's a great deal more to come from him. He can play better than he has this season though.

He's slow as anything, and I quite like the lad. I see him more as a squad player here than getting into the England squad. I can think of several players ahead of him in the pecking order for the wing berths for the national team. i know he's young but I don't think there's a great deal more to come from him. He can play better than he has this season though.

Needs an alice band and blue boots. :dunno: