Barton to be freed on bail

Jimbo

The career Joey Barton was in jeopardy again after he was arrested over an alleged assault following an all-night drinking session.

The Newcastle United midfielder spent yesterday in police cells after being picked up in the early hours following his team's 1-0 defeat at Wigan Athletic.

The incident is the latest in a string of scandals involving Barton, 25, who is regularly in trouble on and off the pitch. He is currently awaiting trial over a training ground fight with a team-mate at his former club Manchester City.

According to police sources, Barton was spotted on CCTV cameras in his home-town of Liverpool allegedly 'acting aggressively and bouncing from one group of people to another, apparently looking for a fight' at around 5.30am.

Officers were called and found two men who had allegedly attacked by Barton, whose brother Michael, 18, was convicted of the racist murder black A-level student Anthony Walker, and two of his companions.

They claimed they were assaulted by the footballer during a 'scuffle' outside a mobile phone shop on Church Street - the city's main pedestrianised shopping thoroughfare.

Last night police refused to reveal exactly what injuries the pair suffered or whether they needed hospital treatment.

However, a spokeswoman for Merseyside police confirmed that a 25-year-old man had been arrested on suspicion of assault, as well as a 19-year-old man and a 27-year-old woman.

Barton was allowed time to rest before officers began questioning him at Liverpool's St Anne Street police station yesterday evening. He was also expected to be tested for illegal drugs.

Barton, who earns £45,000-a-week, is believed to have been partying with friends in his native city after being ruled out of Newcastle's match on Wednesday night with an ankle injury.

It was unclear whether the player had been given special permission to stay in the North West by manager Sam Allardyce or had been out against the club's wishes. The rest of the Newcastle team travelled back to the North East after the game and reported for morning training as usual.

Barton's arrest is the latest scandal to beset the troubled Liverpudlian, who is more famous for his bad behaviour on and off the pitch than for his footballing skills.

He is already awaiting trial for assault in June next year following a training ground bust up with his former team-mate at Manchester City, Ousamane Dabo.

The 30-year-old French international was floored and suffered bleeding after allegedly being repeatedly punched in the face by Barton. He was suspended for the rest of the season and fined a record four weeks' wages - £100,000 - before being sold to Newcastle over the summer.

Two months earlier he had been arrested on suspicion of assault and criminal damage after an argument with a taxi driver and in December 2004 was fined £60,000 by the club for stubbing a cigar out in the eye of junior team-mate Jamie Tandy at a Christmas party.

He was also sent home from a preseason tour of Thailand two summers ago following an altercation with a 15-year-old Everton fan.

Barton's behaviour on the pitch has also caused him to come in for criticism. In September last year he caused controversy for pulling down his shorts and exposing his bottom at an Everton fan during a match at Goodison Park, and, more recently, has been slammed for kicking a Sunderland player in the private parts during a game.

Although he has not spoken to his brother Michael, 18, since he was 14, Barton has also come in for abuse by rival fans over his sibling's role in the murder of Anthony Walker two years ago.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Officers were called and found two men who had allegedly attacked by Barton, whose brother Michael, 18, was convicted of the racist murder black A-level student Anthony Walker, and two of his companions.

:lol:

:lol:

I'm sure they looked into his past to see if he is a Muslim asylum seeker that has links to the Diana conspiracy.

:huh:

Just been reported on BBC aswell:

Barton arrested in assault probe

Newcastle and England midfielder Joey Barton has been arrested by police in Liverpool following an alleged assault.

The footballer was arrested along with a 19-year-old man and a 27-year-old woman on Church Street in the city centre at 0530 GMT.

Merseyside Police confirmed the three were being held in custody.

A spokesman said: "All three remain in custody for interview and processing and I expect a decision on charges or release will be made later tonight."

Just been reported on BBC aswell:

Barton arrested in assault probe

Newcastle and England midfielder Joey Barton has been arrested by police in Liverpool following an alleged assault.

The footballer was arrested along with a 19-year-old man and a 27-year-old woman on Church Street in the city centre at 0530 GMT.

Merseyside Police confirmed the three were being held in custody.

A spokesman said: "All three remain in custody for interview and processing and I expect a decision on charges or release will be made later tonight."

1878, the Everton fan on N-O just posted this...

posted on Bluekipper:

I hate people who do what I'm about to do but I'm going to do it anyway.

I was with his cousin last night who was out with Joey. We were in Heebie Jeebies. As I'm old mates with his cousin he bought me and a few of my mates a drink and we sat next to them. I don't remember seeing Joey drinking and he was just having a good time. He's a sound lad and gets a lot of bother of people who just walk past him, load of shit. I ended up getting off so I don't know what all that stuff is about in the papers but more than likely its just been over exaggerated.

More proof of Allardyce's lack of ability.

He wanted Barton and with that it was his resposibility to keep him out of trouble but just like everything so far Allardyce has come up short.

:lol: Tell me this post was a joke please.

He wanted Barton and with that it was his resposibility to keep him out of trouble but just like everything so far Allardyce has come up short.

:huh: depends on how you feel about Allardyce Scotty.

Looks like he's going to jail for certain now.

The question is will he have the word HATE tattooed onto his fist and have a few teardrops tattooed onto the side of his face after doing time.

Newcastle and England midfielder Joey Barton has been charged with assault.

The footballer was arrested along with Andrew Barton, 19, and 27-year-old Nadine Wilson on Church Street in Liverpool city centre on Thursday.

Joey Barton and Ms Wilson are charged with common assault and affray. Andrew Barton is charged with affray and assault occasioning actual body harm.

Ms Wilson, of Huyton, and Andrew Barton, from Widnes, have both been bailed. The player remains in custody.

All three are due to appear at Liverpool City Magistrates Court on Friday.

What a wanker!!!!

He`s a fucking pro footballer FFS he shouldnt be out in Liverpool getting into fights when the club have a run of important games plus the small matter of his shitty on field performances, little scouse twat. I hope he gets fucked sideways. CUNT

:huh: depends on how you feel about Allardyce Scotty.

I'm inclided to blame Tony Adams meself.

He misses Chelsea and City games, running scared?

In custody til the 3rd of january missing the next 2 games.

Apparently he was caught on CCTV in what looked like an unprovoked attack, followed up by abusing any strangers that happened to be walking past him.

Judge refused bail as he is already on bail for another violent offence.

The FA should ban him from playing for another club. Hes a thug and i hope he gets locked up.