A Little Assistance?

Tribal

Right, so here's the situation. I got my Acer laptop in March and rebooted the lot for the first time using the Vista CD that came with it.

Once installed I entered the activation code on the base of my laptop, however it's telling me that it's not a valid code and it's now prompting me more and more asking for the validation key.

Any ideas what the problem is??

Appreciated.

Think if you ring them on the number that's displayed on your screen when you click the "activate by phone" option, and hold on so you can actually speak to a human being, explain the situation to them and they should be able to verify it for you.

• 1 month later...
Right, so here's the situation. I got my Acer laptop in March and rebooted the lot for the first time using the Vista CD that came with it.

Once installed I entered the activation code on the base of my laptop, however it's telling me that it's not a valid code and it's now prompting me more and more asking for the validation key.

Appreciated.

If you wiped the HDD and did a clean install using the 'Windows Anytime Upgrade disk' included you will get that problem. It's because the key you have is for an OEM install and the supplied disk is non-OEM (great effort Acer). You are supposed to only reinstall using the restore partition hidden on your HDD or by using the restore DVD you created as soon as you got the laptop (yeah right :devil: ).

Anyway, long story short, if you go through the Windows activation you will be able to get it properly validation (using the Phone method).

I did exactly the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Appreciated.

Micro$oft.

Although they are beginning to back off with their WGA code (heading back to a more winXP nagware version), as the current system is stupidly easy to end up with a non-functional system with a reinstall, or hardware change, or just using an OEM or upgrade version. Which has left a LOT of pissed off customers since Vista came out (and that's without taking into account all the other Vista issues).