Stoke City 0 - 0 Newcastle United - 06/01/08

ohhh_yeah

NUFC have won just twice in their past 12 outings while stoke city have lost just one in the same time period... the potters are on the brink of a return to the top league for the first time in more than 20 years... sam loses and???

We're pig sick of Ronnie Radford man!

Posted by Lee on January 4, 2008 8:24 AM | Permalink

They can't wait can they?

The minute the draw was made they just couldn't wait to arrange for the TV cameras to make it a date in Stoke on a Sunday night.

Just like they did at Hereford, just like they at Stevenage and just like they did at Yeading, they did it at Peterborough too and they are doing it all over again!

I think they see it, yet again, as a banana skin tie.

Yeah, yeah I know, romance of the cup and all that goes with it and I know that the cameras will be at Luton for the Liverpool games as well as Burnley for the visit of Arsenal

But is it just me or does the rest of the country just love watching Newcastle United and the Geordie public suffer?

We can all put our hands up and say that Newcastle have been poor at times this season.

And after going a goal down in the last SIX away games it's not a surprise that away fans have took delight in chanting "you are getting sacked in the morning" to Big Sam.

But this problem of fans, not just down the A19, taking delight of knocking the Magpies and waiting to see us fall runs pretty deep.

In modern history it was petrified Manchester United fans - previously scared they were about to lose to a team playing the best football the world had ever seen - gloating that they'd pipped us to the title in 1996 with chants of "we saw you cry on the telly" but beyond that nobody has been allowed to forget Ronnie Radford's goal for Hereford in the FA Cup in 1972.

In fact the Radford goal is shown more times than anything related to our total of SIX FA Cup wins - it's rammed down our throats isn't it?

They conveniently ignore the fact that we are still in the top five of the Premier League table since it started, forget the fact that we've got the best fans in the world and don't even mention we gave the world Shearer, Gazza, Chrissy Waddle, Peter Beardsley, Sir Bobby Robson, Milburn, Broon Ale, The Tyne Bridge, a watering hole to have your stag/hen do in the shape of the Bigg Market, the Metro Centre, Sting, the Evening Chronicle, Viz, Byker Grove, The Blaydon Races or the Great North Run!

No they all mean nowt to the doom merchants out there, just put on a clip of Ronne Radford to sum us lot up, I mean would you credit it?

I mean I wasn't even born for the Radford goal and I feel like I was there on that muddy pitch and wearing one of those stupid coats!

You watch before the Stoke game, Ronnie Radford all over again - just like Stevenage - just like Yeading, or any other FA Cup game that we stand a chance of being "humiliated" in.

We don't actually hear a squeak from Stevenage these days although I have to say I always have a wry smile on my face every time I go past it on the train to London.

I mean why not? It's my moment.

After all the whole country got behind the plucky southereners and it was such a "disgrace" that after trying every dirty trick in the book to beat Newcastle they went out to a Shearer goal that didn't cross the line! What a shame.

Then you have Yeading. Who? Oh yeah the other team the whole country got behind and a nice easy home game for the BBC cameras but it was Newcastle who went through - and we even had Boumsong and Babayaro playing!

So now we have to go through it all again on Sunday with the whole country baying for our blood at the Britannia Stadium to see if Stoke can dump us out!

Oh it won't be as big a "humiliation" as say Hereford but remember Wolves in 2003 the BBC describe on their website today still as an FA Cup classic.

Well, love him or hate him, Craig Bellamy actually got it right that night.

Remember? After being beaten 3-2 and suffering the taunts of the Wolves fans - who sent the national Press into a frenzy that night - Bellers simply responded to the taunts by pointing at the Premier League badge on his shirt and mouthing "Premiership."

And what division are Wolves still in?

Oh I know it sounds like sour grapes but just why does everyone apart from the Geordie public want to see this trophy drought go on and on.

And if you think I'm paranoid, you watch if we go a goal down, the cameras will be straight over to our fans and zooming in order to tee up the commentator for something along the lines of "Is it another year of waiting for this lot."

We haven't been giantkilled too many times in the FA Cup but you'd think we'd gone out to minor opponents every year.

So the message to the players this time around is, let's give Stoke a proper hammering and try to show the great British public exactly what NEWCASTLE UNITED and the TOON ARMY are all about.

Time to show some pride boys.

Let's roll.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What worries me is that although we have a midfield of battlers and grafters (supposedly, since they aren't exactly artisans) we will still be outfought by Stoke. I hope I'm wrong like.

This one is definitely 50-50. Stoke are a physical team and if our matches against Derby, Sunderland and Reading are anything to go by, we will not use our (allegedly) superior skill to beat them but will end up in a battle which will suit them.

What worries me is that although we have a midfield of battlers and grafters (supposedly, since they aren't exactly artisans) we will still be outfought by Stoke. I hope I'm wrong like.

aye, the "make sure we stop them playing first" approach is a sure fire loser.

Doing my head in, to be honest

aye, the "make sure we stop them playing first" approach is a sure fire loser.

Doing my head in, to be honest

It's a good idea when you're up against Arsenal - they will outplay anyone, so you just try and make sure they never get a kick. But against equal or inferior sides, it's a hopeless approach.

Well i personally think we'll take the game to them, the romance of the fa cup always shines through. Plus its a much needed break from the premier league, thus giving us a platform to perform and kick on......though i wouldnt be suprised if we slip up.....i also wouldnt be suprised if we hammer them! Watch this space boyz

Well i personally think we'll take the game to them, the romance of the fa cup always shines through. Plus its a much needed break from the premier league, thus giving us a platform to perform and kick on......though i wouldnt be suprised if we slip up.....i also wouldnt be suprised if we hammer them! Watch this space boyz

So we'll either play shit or not, and either win or lose?

I'm off to the bookies.

:dunno:

Cup Countdown: African Pair To Miss Stoke Date

By Craig Hope

SAM Allardyce has confirmed that Oba Martins and Geremi will not be available for Sunday's Third Round FA Cup tie at Stoke City.

The pair will join-up with their national sides this week ahead of the African Cup of Nations which kicks off in Ghana on January 20.

But Big Sam says that there is still a chance of having Nigerian hotshot Martins back for the Man Utd game next weekend.

"Geremi and Oba will not be here for Stoke and have joined their national teams for a training camp ahead of the African Cup of Nations," Allardyce told nufc.co.uk.

"Habib Beye and Abdoulaye Faye will definitely be here for Sunday but will head off after that.

"We also have a chance of getting Oba back for the Man Utd game but I will have to speak with the Nigeria manager Berti Vogts."

Not with Man United (away) coming after this game :dunno:

I do not post that often, though I am not a big fan of Big Sam, I think we are going to win on Sunday, and I think we may end up winning well. It the FA cup so I think we should go with hope, we got to the Final with two managers Guillt and Daglish that not many people like so we can all hope and dream, and come sunday evening I think we will be in the fourth round of the cup, lets get behind the lads and worry about how crap we play and the manager is when we are playing league games.

I would go with the approach that we are unlikely to match them for physical strength and will struggle to deal with their set pieces whatever formation we play. In which case give them something to think about what we might do to them.

------------------Given

Beye ------Taylor - -Rozenhal ------- Enrique

---------Faye -- Smith/Butt------------

Duff-----------------------------------N'Zogbia

----------- Viduka - -Owen------------

don't think they'd fancy that front 4 much.

Edited by Big TRon

So we'll either play shit or not, and either win or lose?

I'm off to the bookies.

:dunno:

Lock of the week.

What sort of a style will you expect to be playing? Short passes with technique and guile or long ball and strength stuff?

Style ? what is this style thing you speak of ? :dunno:

What sort of a style will you expect to be playing? Short passes with technique and guile or long ball and strength stuff?

I think Allardyce will go with a conservative ''all over the fucking shop'' to start with Martins constantly shifting the ball onto his other foot so that the defender can take it off him and then maybe an attacking concede late style....