Given - It's up to the players

bawan

Shay Given insists Newcastle United's players have to take responsibility for manager Sam Allardyce being under pressure.

Allardyce is again feeling the heat at St James' Park after failing to win over the Christmas period following an indifferent start to his reign on Tyneside.

The Magpies avoided an FA Cup upset at Stoke City on Sunday and Given was delighted to disappoint the critics baying for blood.

And the Newcastle keeper says the reason why Allardyce's position has come under scrutiny is because the players have not performed.

"We as players have to stand up and be counted because the only reason the manager is under pressure is that we are under-performing," Given told The Journal.

"We've got to put that right, stick together and start playing better.

"As I've said before, the manager doesn't cross the line, it's up to the players. The team he picks has to start performing for Newcastle United."

Reflecting on the 0-0 draw at Championship side Stoke, Given felt the Magpies showed the right spirit to avoid being the victims of a shock.

He added: "We're delighted to disappoint everyone who wanted us to fall flat on our faces.

"People wanted us to fail so they could have another go at the manager, but we avoided becoming the upset they all wanted.

"We stuck together and we knew what to expect from Stoke."

People wanted us to fail so they could have another go at the manager, but we avoided becoming the upset they all wanted.

By hanging on to a fantastic 0-0 draw by the skin of our teeth. Awesome!

:D

Roll em all you want. Doesnt change the fact Stoke were unlucky not to beat us.

Yes they were but we didnt get beat by them did we?

Fuck sake stop all this fucking negativity for god sake! I bet you were gagging for them to beat us to have more ammo for BSA?

Fuck sake stop all this fucking negativity for god sake! I bet you were gagging for them to beat us to have more ammo for BSA?

I know what he means though. It's slightly embarassing to see one of our players crowing about scraping a draw at a Championship club.

I know what he means though. It's slightly embarassing to see one of our players crowing about scraping a draw at a Championship club.

Nothing different to some members on here.

Aye I also do but people are just seeing its NUFC v STOKE and not looking into the facts at all. The conditions, the fact we are away, the differneces in moral between both teams etc etc Its the fact that NUFC Premiership club and once FA Cup finalists in the 90's, Winners of the FA Cups in the 50's Champions League, Premier League Runner Up's etc etc Not the fact that its NUFC going through a massive change and transition period where massive changes from board level down are changing and we are no longer the super team we were!!!

Fuck's sake you playing right into the press's hands with this sort of carry on. We didn't get beat and conversely, it can be argued that we were unlucky not to beat them too.

Amazing isn't it? Everton get beaten at home by League One opposition and Blackburn get absolutely thumped at home by a championship side. Yet it's Newcastle United that the press keep on at. And comments like this are just fuelling their fires.

Nothing different to some members on here.

Like who? :D

Fuck's sake you playing right into the press's hands with this sort of carry on. We didn't get beat and conversely, it can be argued that we were unlucky not to beat them too.

Amazing isn't it? Everton get beaten at home by League One opposition and Blackburn get absolutely thumped at home by a championship side. Yet it's Newcastle United that the press keep on at. And comments like this are just fuelling their fires.

Do the press use this site to garner opinion? Serious question btw.

Who knows....

But if you put yourself in their position, what better place to source the consenus feelings of fans of a football club than an independent forum? I'd be very surprised if the press don't have people scouring sites such as this for that very reason - although I suspect they're more likely to use N-O than here.

Who knows....

But if you put yourself in their position, what better place to source the consenus feelings of fans of a football club than an independent forum? I'd be very surprised if the press don't have people scouring sites such as this for that very reason - although I suspect they're more likely to use N-O than here.

Fucking cunts.

Yes geordie friends, I did used to post on N-Online, alas I found their lack of understanding of what makes us local and proud dispiriting. Not to mention the fact they wiped my user profile but that's their loss.

Who's to say the users on this site might not benefit from some local geordie wisdom on footballing matters? And where will that leave N-online? In the proverbial shit my friends. As young Clarkie would often telephone me and say: "in the shit"