Allardyce sacked.

Akabusi

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The CV element only seems to apply to trophies won though, seeing as progress in the league, transfer record and back room development count for nowt. How can you take account of a managers CV when every single other manager has recently stated Sam had a good one?

What's wrong with looking at achievements re. trophies? There are managers out there with champion's league, premier league, other league wins. This contrasts nicely with Allardyce.

Is having won a trophy the minimum entry requirement then? After that, then you go on this long and winding process of considering respective CVs?

If I were in charge, then, yes, I would take a manager who has won several domestic league titles and a champion's league above a manager who is currently working at second-division level having been sacked by three previous clubs. Disagree?

And when you woke up?

Answer the question.

That was a question? You've got to be kidding.

If it's either Hughes or Redknapp it's a massive sideways step. Both have done 'OK' with their current, mediocre clubs....

smacks very worryingly of Souness and Allardyce all over again! :lol:

Guest Patrokles
The CV element only seems to apply to trophies won though, seeing as progress in the league, transfer record and back room development count for nowt. How can you take account of a managers CV when every single other manager has recently stated Sam had a good one?

What's wrong with looking at achievements re. trophies? There are managers out there with champion's league, premier league, other league wins. This contrasts nicely with Allardyce.

Is having won a trophy the minimum entry requirement then? After that, then you go on this long and winding process of considering respective CVs?

If I were in charge, then, yes, I would take a manager who has won several domestic league titles and a champion's league above a manager who is currently working at second-division level having been sacked by three previous clubs. Disagree?

And when you woke up?

Answer the question.

Did the question mark not give it away, boy wonder?

And when you woke up?

Answer the question.

Did the question mark not give it away, boy wonder?

So, in your considered approach as owner, with consideration of CVs and careful drawn out process, those were the only two candidates?

Hughes would be bad enough but at least he still has his career ahead of him, Redknapp is 60 and done nothing in carreer to suggest he is capable of building a team that is capable of mounting an attack on the top six.

His preferred style of football might make the team play a bit better than Allardyce but that is the only positive I think of. If he has players in mind that he wants to sign this transfer window they are going to be Portsmouth standard players and while they might have a better team than us at the moment they are still a club that would see top ten as an excellent acheivement. While I would accept that this season, this certainly isn't where we need to be targeting going forward and these types of players aren't going to get us there.

If this happens we really need to stop deluding ourselves that we are a big club because yet again we have failled to show the vision of a big club.

To say I will be pissed off would be an understatement. It would be a worse day than the day we appointed Souness because before then our previous managerial appointments had been positive (even if they were failure in Dogleish and Gullit's cases) but now it's just one mess after another.

For the record I think long term he had to go but surely they should have waited until May? My only thought is they wouldn't have sacked him unless they had someone lined up but then we've been caught thinking that before and got our fingers burned...

My real fear is that the translation of "going through the proper channels and taking as long as it takes" translates as whoever it is will not be released until February 1st and if that's the case, we've been seriously fucked over.

Hughes would be bad enough but at least he still has his career ahead of him, Redknapp is 60 and done nothing in carreer to suggest he is capable of building a team that is capable of mounting an attack on the top six.

His preferred style of football might make the team play a bit better than Allardyce but that is the only positive I think of. If he has players in mind that he wants to sign this transfer window they are going to be Portsmouth standard players and while they might have a better team than us at the moment they are still a club that would see top ten as an excellent acheivement. While I would accept that this season, this certainly isn't where we need to be targeting going forward and these types of players aren't going to get us there.

If this happens we really need to stop deluding ourselves that we are a big club because yet again we have failled to show the vision of a big club.

To say I will be pissed off would be an understatement. It would be a worse day than the day we appointed Souness because before then our previous managerial appointments had been positive (even if they were failure in Dogleish and Gullit's cases) but now it's just one mess after another.

Sums up my feelings.

For what it's worth, here's Redknapp's recent record:

West Ham

1997/98 8th

1998/1999 5th

1999/2000 9th

2000/2001 15th (sacked after 37 games)

Portsmouth (1st spell)

2002/2003 1st, promoted to Premier League

2003/2004 13th

2004/2005 resigns in November

Southampton

2004/2005 20th, relegated after taking over in December

Portsmouth (2nd spell)

2005/2006 17th after taking over in November

2006/2007 9th

Edited by Bombadil

Also worse because although the Souness/Roeder appointments were disappointing they were what you expected from Shepherd. I expect better from Ashley/Mort but this whole saga stinks of the fat man (the first one) yet again.

Must admit I'm seriously underwhelmed, sounds like it is almost done and will be completed pretty quickly. I hope he brings Tony Adams with him though, would be majorly pissed off if not, a good coach but chances are he might fancy the Pompey job.

Only positive I can see are he is marginally better than Allardyce and he is now Mike Ashley's man so hopefully he will back to him to the hilt. Can't help feeling this was a chance to really make an impression though, and I can't see it going down overly well.

Edited by Akabusi

Must admit I'm seriously underwhelmed, sounds like it is almost done. I hope he brings Tony Adams with him though, would be majorly pissed off it not, a good coach but chances are he might fancy the Pompey job.

Oh Jesus.

:lol:

Sums up my feelings.

For what it's worth, here's Redknapp's recent record:

West Ham

1997/98 8th

1998/1999 5th

1999/2000 9th

2000/2001 15th (sacked after 37 games)

Portsmouth (1st spell)

2002/2003 1st, promoted to Premier League

2003/2004 13th

2004/2005 resigns in November

Southampton

2004/2005 20th, relegated after taking over in December

Portsmouth (2nd spell)

2005/2006 17th after taking over in November

2006/2007 9th

Slightly better than I had expected but generally what I thought. Mediocre. True he's never had the funds of mangers at bigger clubs but there is a reason why the've never appointed him.