Anal says Huges

Barney

Mark Hughes in the frame for Newcastle job

Jan 10 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

MARK HUGHES has emerged as a rival to Harry Redknapp to replace Sam Allardyce as manager of Newcastle United.

Mark Hughes

And even though the job is regarded as a poisoned chalice in some quarters, the Chronicle can reveal that there are other managers in the Premier League interested in it.

But Alan Shearer will not be asked to be the next manager.

The sacking of Allardyce, first revealed on our Chroniclelive website at 5.30 last night, has seen hundreds of thousands of pounds of bets placed on the new man – the majority of it on Redknapp.

But Redknapp today insisted: "I really do not know anything about this.

"I have not spoken to anyone from Newcastle.

"When I saw that Sam had left, my immediate thoughts were that Alan Shearer was a certainty to take over.

"There’s nothing in my being linked with the job.

"I had an offer not so long ago to take over at what I consider a massive club, but I didn’t go.

"I am happy down on the south coast.

Meanwhile, the Chronicle can reveal that Shearer will not be approached on this occasion for the job and, despite some reports to the contrary, neither will Steve McClaren.

When the news of Allardyce’s sacking broke, Shearer was actually playing golf with Freddie Shepherd on the exclusive Sandy Lane course in Barbados.

I spoke to Shearer last night and he was his usual affable self, but he did not give the impression that he was about to take over as manager of his beloved United.

Shepherd, of course, was the man who brought Allardyce to St James’s Park, but when I contacted him today he refused to make any comment on the sacking.

McClaren was actually at the Emirates Stadium last night watching the Arsenal- Spurs Carling Cup tie and was spotted talking to Mike Ashley’s best pal and former White Hart Lane vice- chairman Paul Kemsley.

But I am told nothing should be read into this, and that while the former England boss has always loved the Newcastle United set-up he will not be given the chance to take control.

Hughes has done a great job at Blackburn, but he must be wondering if he has taken the homely but unfashionable Lancashire club as far as he can.

In fact, there were some boos for the former Manchester United, Chelsea and Wales striker after Rovers’ shock FA Cup exit at the hands of Coventry City last Saturday.

Ironically, the Hughes situation is a bit like that of Shearer at Newcastle in that he is always going to be linked with the manager’s job at Old Trafford.

All United would hint at today was that they are looking for an experienced manager who is currently with a club, and this would rule out the likes of Martin Jol, Jose Mourinho, Marcello Lippi and Ottmar Hitzfeld.

The sacking of Allardyce came just 10 days after chairman Chris Mort told me at Stamford Bridge that both he and Mike Ashley had faith in him.

But Stoke City changed all that.

My counterpart in the Midlands told me he was in the Stoke boardroom after Saturday’s game, and when Allardyce appeared on the television saying how well United had done, the Mike Ashley contingent simply shook their heads.

And he pulled the trigger on Allardyce yesterday.

Meanwhile, League Managers’ Association chairman Howard Wilkinson has hit out at the trend of sacking managers in the wake of Allardyce’s departure.

"It debases the position of manager," Wilkinson said.

"You have to start to ask, what’s the manager there to do?

He added: "It is actually a sign of the times in the sense that the position of manager now seems to be increasingly overvalued in terms of money and increasingly devalued in terms of the job they’re supposed to responsible be doing.

"It begs the question, given the number that have gone in the Premier League now this season, do you need a manager?

"Or when you appoint one, on what grounds do you appoint him?"

Wilkinson warned stability was the only way to ensure success.

"Statistics going back 20 years in our game and other countries show that changes of this nature made in the short-term have an effect for two to three months maximum," he said.

"Then the club, the team, reverts back to norm.

"What you’ve got to change in a club when you go in is the culture. At some clubs, that can be difficult because the changes you’ve got to bring about can be massive."

Edited by Barney

Fuck. Off.

What on earth is Shearer doing hanging out with that loon as well?

Billy no mates. :icon_lol:

He's in Barbados, but of course when you get a call from your good mate Anal you have to take it.

Mark Hughes in the frame for Newcastle job

Jan 10 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

MARK HUGHES has emerged as a rival to Harry Redknapp to replace Sam Allardyce as manager of Newcastle United.

Mark Hughes

And even though the job is regarded as a poisoned chalice in some quarters, the Chronicle can reveal that there are other managers in the Premier League interested in it.

But Alan Shearer will not be asked to be the next manager.

The sacking of Allardyce, first revealed on our Chroniclelive website at 5.30 last night, has seen hundreds of thousands of pounds of bets placed on the new man – the majority of it on Redknapp.

But Redknapp today insisted: "I really do not know anything about this.

"I have not spoken to anyone from Newcastle.

"When I saw that Sam had left, my immediate thoughts were that Alan Shearer was a certainty to take over.

"There’s nothing in my being linked with the job.

"I had an offer not so long ago to take over at what I consider a massive club, but I didn’t go.

"I am happy down on the south coast.

Meanwhile, the Chronicle can reveal that Shearer will not be approached on this occasion for the job and, despite some reports to the contrary, neither will Steve McClaren.

When the news of Allardyce’s sacking broke, Shearer was actually playing golf with Freddie Shepherd on the exclusive Sandy Lane course in Barbados.

I spoke to Shearer last night and he was his usual affable self, but he did not give the impression that he was about to take over as manager of his beloved United.

Shepherd, of course, was the man who brought Allardyce to St James’s Park, but when I contacted him today he refused to make any comment on the sacking.

McClaren was actually at the Emirates Stadium last night watching the Arsenal- Spurs Carling Cup tie and was spotted talking to Mike Ashley’s best pal and former White Hart Lane vice- chairman Paul Kemsley.

But I am told nothing should be read into this, and that while the former England boss has always loved the Newcastle United set-up he will not be given the chance to take control.

Hughes has done a great job at Blackburn, but he must be wondering if he has taken the homely but unfashionable Lancashire club as far as he can.

In fact, there were some boos for the former Manchester United, Chelsea and Wales striker after Rovers’ shock FA Cup exit at the hands of Coventry City last Saturday.

Ironically, the Hughes situation is a bit like that of Shearer at Newcastle in that he is always going to be linked with the manager’s job at Old Trafford.

[b]All United would hint at today was that they are looking for an experienced manager who is currently with a club, and this would rule out the likes of Martin Jol, Jose Mourinho, Marcello Lippi and Ottmar Hitzfeld.[/b

The sacking of Allardyce came just 10 days after chairman Chris Mort told me at Stamford Bridge that both he and Mike Ashley had faith in him.

But Stoke City changed all that.

My counterpart in the Midlands told me he was in the Stoke boardroom after Saturday’s game, and when Allardyce appeared on the television saying how well United had done, the Mike Ashley contingent simply shook their heads.

And he pulled the trigger on Allardyce yesterday.

Meanwhile, League Managers’ Association chairman Howard Wilkinson has hit out at the trend of sacking managers in the wake of Allardyce’s departure.

"It debases the position of manager," Wilkinson said.

"You have to start to ask, what’s the manager there to do?

He added: "It is actually a sign of the times in the sense that the position of manager now seems to be increasingly overvalued in terms of money and increasingly devalued in terms of the job they’re supposed to responsible be doing.

"It begs the question, given the number that have gone in the Premier League now this season, do you need a manager?

"Or when you appoint one, on what grounds do you appoint him?"

Wilkinson warned stability was the only way to ensure success.

"Statistics going back 20 years in our game and other countries show that changes of this nature made in the short-term have an effect for two to three months maximum," he said.

"Then the club, the team, reverts back to norm.

"What you’ve got to change in a club when you go in is the culture. At some clubs, that can be difficult because the changes you’ve got to bring about can be massive."

I thought hitzfield is still in a job till the end of the season. Silly wanker Alan

That source told the Chronicle today: “The current board lost patience with Sam due to his unwillingness to play a more attractive brand of football.

“The manager only seemed to want to win ugly.

“While nobody minds the team winning ugly now and again, nobody at club wanted that every week.

“However, at the minute they felt they were losing ugly.

“They had tried to keep the pressure off Sam by being supportive and coming out in public to back him, but felt enough is enough.”

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcas...-name_page.html

Souness.

In fairness he's a step-up from him in the sense that he's at least on his way up in managerial terms. Blackburn couldn't believe their luck then but they'd be sorry to see Hughes leave.

Souness.

In fairness he's a step-up from him in the sense that he's at least on his way up in managerial terms. Blackburn couldn't believe their luck then but they'd be sorry to see Hughes leave.

Wouldn't bet on it. A lot of Blackburn fans want us to get him.

Souness.

Wouldn't bet on it. A lot of Blackburn fans want us to get him.

Really? Fickle bastards :icon_lol:

Translates as "no comment". You have to admire Oliver's prose.

It's like watching paint dry watching Hughes talk to the press after a match!

At least he talks to the press after a match which would be an improvement!

Would rather watch paint dry tbh, he wouldn't last 5 minutes

Would Mark Hughes blow Morts socks off?

I read that completely wrong :icon_lol:

Blackburn saying that there has been no approach btw

and even if there was they wouldnt let him go at all?

please?