SSN - Newcastle to make official approach for Redknapp

Scottish Mag

Guest Patrokles
I'm happy with this tbh.

He'll put a good team together with Ashley's cash behind him.

While certainly not a disaster on a Sounessesque scale I can't help but feel we could've done better.

Still he'll have my full backing and hopefully he can surprise us all, one big plus side is that it seems he was the man Ashley wanted for the job and so will have his full backing.

We could have tried for better, not 100% convinced we could have got better though.

We only have to look to Spurs to see a club who look do have appointed a better manager.

Again if the figure of £5m a year is true (and I take it with a huge mountain of salt) then we really could have been looking at a top european manager imo.

London and Newcastle are two completely different propositions for a top European coach.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm happy with this tbh.

He'll put a good team together with Ashley's cash behind him.

While certainly not a disaster on a Sounessesque scale I can't help but feel we could've done better.

Still he'll have my full backing and hopefully he can surprise us all, one big plus side is that it seems he was the man Ashley wanted for the job and so will have his full backing.

We could have tried for better, not 100% convinced we could have got better though.

We only have to look to Spurs to see a club who look do have appointed a better manager.

Again if the figure of £5m a year is true (and I take it with a huge mountain of salt) then we really could have been looking at a top european manager imo.

London and Newcastle are two completely different propositions for a top European coach.

I agree but we're not that bad a prospect and in a lot of cases the money plays a major factor and it appears that we're prepared to spend that sort of money.

If it is him, I hope to fuck this private jet chartering is a load of bollocks!

It's fucking nonesense. If you want the job that much Harry, get your arse up North!

If it is him, I hope to fuck this private jet chartering is a load of bollocks!

It's fucking nonesense. If you want the job that much Harry, get your arse up North!

Aye me daa mentioned summit about that :lol:

Chelsea about to sign Anelka for £15m.

Mugs.

:lol:

You idiot. Brilliant signing.

I was talking about the price.

Chelsea '' we'l give you £7.5m?''

Bolton = ''lolz narr''

Mugs.

Bolton = ''lolz narr''

Who's the mug then? Chelsea or Bolton?

He's worth that to them tbh.

Mugs.

Bolton = ''lolz narr''

He's worth £15m imo, though for that price we may have let them have Owen. ;)

Mugs.

Bolton = ''lolz narr''

Who's the mug then? Chelsea or Bolton?

He's worth that to them tbh.

I concede ;)

I still think there might be a twist in this managerial thing, btw.

I am with you on that - i was convinced yesterday that it was a done deal with a really big name and almost got the cigars out to celebrate only to find myself utterly underwhelmed this morning - Redknapp may well happen but it just didn't fit into the series of events which had transpired.

I am still holding out some hope for a sudden turn of events but with his press conference being cancelled it seems less and less likely (maybe he couldn't be arsed to field all the newcastle questions) here's hoping

NEWCASTLE United were expected to make their move for Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp today.

And the word coming out of the south coast today was that Portsmouth are almost resigned to losing their 61-year-old manager.

United owner Mike Ashley is in Hong Kong today, but perhaps significantly chairman Chris Mort was not in his St James’s Park office Tyneside.

Redknapp turned up at the Portsmouth training ground as usual today to prepare his side for Sunday’s game with Sunderland at the Stadium of Light.

The majority of Pompey fans are distraught at losing Redknapp, but on the other hand he is experienced enough to know that he will have to win over some Newcastle supporters.

And sources close to him told me today that he will do that by winning football matches.

And those sources also told me Redknapp would turn down Mike Ashley’s offer of a private jet to fly him between Tyneside and his luxury home in Bournemouth from Southampton airport.

An associate of Redknapp insisted: “If he does move to Newcastle, Harry will obviously keep his place in Bournemouth but buy a place in Newcastle and live there.”

Understandably, Redknapp’s wife Sandra will be not keen to leave the south coast, but I believe the pull of managing Newcastle United will sway him.

There is already talk that should he arrive at Newcastle he would bring Portsmouth central defender Sol Campbell with him and that Spurs right-back Pascal Chimbonda would be another target.

Redknapp is still the bookies’ favourite to replace Sam Allardyce, with Blackburn boss Mark Hughes as second favourite.

Blackburn used to be sponsored by one of Mike Ashley companies and he often turned up at games at Ewood Park.

He met Hughes and has always been impressed by the job the former Manchester United, Chelsea and Welsh striker has done on limited funds with Blackburn.

But Redknapp is still the man Mike Ashley wants. He was quick to reassure Everton supremo Bill Kenwright that he had no interest in his manager David Moyes in a phone call between Hong Kong and London late last night.

Pompey yesterday evening warned they would not welcome any approach, but sources on Tyneside have suggested that Redknapp is ready to listen to what they have to say.

Redknapp emerged as one of the favourites within hours of Allardyce’s departure on Wednesday evening as Alan Shearer receded in the betting following suggestions that the club was looking for an experienced manager.

A hint that the man at the top of the list was currently in work did little to quell the speculation, and Redknapp and Blackburn’s Mark Hughes pulled clear at the head of the field amid an emotional groundswell for Kevin Keegan.

Redknapp insisted he had not been contacted by anyone from Newcastle and that he was happy where he was.

However he did not categorically rule himself out, something Pompey later attempted to do by issuing their own statement.

It said: “The club has received no approaches for the services of our valued manager Harry Redknapp. He remains as committed as ever to this football club.

“He recently signed a new improved four-year contract with Portsmouth.

“The club has made significant investments over the last two years in both players and infrastructure and the results that are now being enjoyed are the fruits of those investments.

“Last season, the club finished in its highest position for 52 years and this season we are on course to better that. We have recently won nine out of 10 away games, a club record.

“We are in the middle of the busiest time of the season because of a heavy fixture list and the month-long transfer window and as such this speculation is unhelpful.”

An approach for Redknapp now seems imminent, and while Portsmouth would have every right to reject it , they could then face a fight to hang on to a man who may find the lure of one more big job too much to resist.

Newcastle certainly believe they can tempt Redknapp, who has worked wonders in his second spell at Fratton Park. Only the club’s recent indifferent home form has denied them a place in the Premier League’s top six.