SSN - Newcastle to make official approach for Redknapp

Scottish Mag

I've just been reading a few threads - people on here don't seem to want Redknapp, Hughes, Shearer or Keegan. I haven't seen any other names linked yet.

Who do you want to be in charge? (Who's likely to be interested.)

There isn't one that's likely to be interested, therefore giving Big Sam the time he should have been given was the best option.

I'd honestly be disappointed barring the appointment of Mourinho. Any of the ones listed then I'd have much rather have given Big Sam the time he deserved.

This is the crux of the matter: Hiddink or Mourinho or Lippi would be lovely but they are not going to come here. The level we're at (Harry, Hughes, Moyes etc) are no real improvement on Allardyce. So what was the point? Back to square one again before repeating the process again in a years time.

Not really. The problem with Allardyce was his philosophy and style of football. People are saying we should have kept Allardyce because he'd get there eventually once he could impose himself on matters, but no one really wanted to see the team set up like Bolton. So if we swap him for someone of equal calibre but with a more attractive philosophy, then it's an improvement. Especially since the new man will have Ashley's full backing, which Allardyce clearly did not.

Good post.

As I said earlier, I think Redknapp will will surprise a few on here, especially if Ashley throws money at him.

Harry has done an 'OK' job with a mediocre club and turned them into a side which is on the peripheral of qualifying for Europe each season. Much the same as Souness did at Blackburn and Allardyce did at Bolton.

If we do go for Harry it'll be the 4th consecutive appointment where we've taken a step sideways (arguably Roeder was a step backwards!). The last manager who was a step forward was Sir Bobby Robson. Ironically, the last to be warmly received at SJP.

tbf, we're a mediocre club atm to whom qualifying for Europe for the next couple of seasons would be a pretty large step forward.

Did Allaradyce not have European Qualification on his 'CV' ?

That the same as Champion's League wins, is it?

You want Champions League wins as a minimum requirement for a manager to take a job at "a mediocre club atm to whom qualifying for Europe for the next couple of seasons would be a pretty large step forward"

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only because we keep appointing managers of that calibre. Sure our position makes it harder to attract a more viable solution but Citeh managed to do it so why can't we?

My issue is not with the fact that we've (well, it looks likely) appointed Redknapp, it's the fact that we haven't tried for anyone better.

tbf, we're a mediocre club atm to whom qualifying for Europe for the next couple of seasons would be a pretty large step forward.

I think the possible levels above us are:

Stage 1: Get to Everton/Villa/Man City level - ie battle for 5th/6th/7th every year - some years yes/some years no.

Stage 2: Make 5th "our position" - maybe miss out in some years, maybe punch above our weight into top 4 occasionally (I think we got here under Bobby)

Stage 3: Pretty much always top 4 but stretching to win it.

Stage 4: Challenging the bastards.

With Redknapp I think stage 1 is doable - maybe even this season at a push but certainly next year - the year after or maybe 2 years for stage 2.

Being optimistic I think he could possibly get to stage 3 but here's where time goes against him unless he had an apprentice (Shearer by then?)

No chance of Stage 4 with him imo.

If we're happy with that considering the possible transfer backing then fine - lets enjoy it. As I said I think we could have done better but I'm reasonably happy.

Guest Patrokles

I think the possible levels above us are:

Stage 1: Get to Everton/Villa/Man City level - ie battle for 5th/6th/7th every year - some years yes/some years no.

Stage 2: Make 5th "our position" - maybe miss out in some years, maybe punch above our weight into top 4 occasionally (I think we got here under Bobby)

Stage 3: Pretty much always top 4 but stretching to win it.

Stage 4: Challenging the bastards.

With Redknapp I think stage 1 is doable - maybe even this season at a push but certainly next year - the year after or maybe 2 years for stage 2.

Being optimistic I think he could possibly get to stage 3 but here's where time goes against him unless he had an apprentice (Shearer by then?)

No chance of Stage 4 with him imo.

If we're happy with that considering the possible transfer backing then fine - lets enjoy it. As I said I think we could have done better but I'm reasonably happy.

Well, if it happens that he breaks the top 4 before retirement (which can't be eons away), then we can hand the club over to someone who can really get us to the fourth stage.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1779

I thought that was a slightly reassuring read, btw.

Jesus wept real ambition this is. I disliked Allardyce before he came here and I dislike Redknapp just as much, I know mourinho and all the other top managers will probably reject us but ffs you have to at least try before hiring this tosser. Why does the manager have to be British anyway as long as they speak English and are proven to be a good manager I couldn't care where they are from, hope this is just some more media bollocks but I'm starting to worry ;) .

Ashley and Mort oot!! :lol:

Edited by Barton7

I've just been reading a few threads - people on here don't seem to want Redknapp, Hughes, Shearer or Keegan. I haven't seen any other names linked yet.

Who do you want to be in charge? (Who's likely to be interested.)

There in lies the problem: whoever is interested, probably isn't "good enough".

Chelsea get s billionaire owner and get Mourinho.

Man City get a billionaire owner and get Sven.

We get a billionaire owner and go for fucking Harry the cockney shriveled up fucking cunt Redknapp.

If this is true i'll be fucking appalled.

Yep...can't argue with that. :lol:

Limp. ;)

(I am amused that Redknapp endears himself to the Toon on the basis he plays attractive football. Have they seen what has been served up at Fratton this year?)

On a Pompey forum.

How does that saying go about dogs looking like their owners?!

If you own a dog you are automatically an ugly fucker?

My first dog died of cancer, cant be done with that.

Good looking dog like, looked like Jeff Buckley or a Young Burt Reynolds...

What a daft dog he was! :lol:

(I am amused that Redknapp endears himself to the Toon on the basis he plays attractive football. Have they seen what has been served up at Fratton this year?)

On a Pompey forum.

Have they seen what we've been served this year? :lol:

IF IT IS 'ARRY' I think we are now moving into the realms of the surreal. Please this is HARRY REDKNAPP we're talking about here, is it all that it's taken is that some fit black men turned up and caned us at SJP? Really?

Did Mashley turn to each other glint in eye and no words need exchanging?

Did they have a pint with Kemsley a week later and discuss hosrse racing and become overjoyed 'Arry was in that game?

I'll tell you know the next few months will be like when you can't get to sleep cause of the acid.

It's too far gone to understand but just register a numb feeling.

IF IT IS 'ARRY' I think we are now moving into the realms of the surreal. Please this is HARRY REDKNAPP we're talking about here, is it all that it's taken is that some fit black men turned up and caned us at SJP? Really?

Did Mashley turn to each other glint in eye and no words need exchanging?

Did they have a pint with Kemsley a week later and discuss hosrse racing and become overjoyed 'Arry was in that game?

I'll tell you know the next few months will be like when you can't get to sleep cause of the acid.

It's too far gone to understand but just register a numb feeling.

dude-1.jpg

:lol:

We get a billionaire owner and go for fucking Harry the cockney shriveled up fucking cunt Redknapp.

nicely put, the shallowness of ambition is sickmaking

Plenty of people wanted Allardyce over Sven.

nicely put, the shallowness of ambition is sickmaking

Plenty of people wanted Allardyce over Sven.

Yeh but the climate at the time clouded any cognitive thought tbh

Redknapp wouldnt be my first choice BUT he would certainly rank higher than some of the other names being banded about. Football wise I reckon he is better then BS and will play a more attractive style although I though Mike might show a bit more ambition in his appointment. Harry lives in Sandbanks, which is one of the most exclusive areas in Europe, his commute to Pompey is an hour, his family all live down south, he is doing well at Pompey so why would he up sticks? would the move affect his state of mind? would he have the same drive and focus?

Those people who are saying Mourinho need to have a serious reality check, it`s not going to happen is it !!

Look at the position of the club, mid table, no-europe, clinging onto an FA cup replay to save our season

Fair enough Bike Mike is loaded but do we want to attract a manager based on just money? Not a good idea

I would prefer a manager with experience who feels he has something to prove and a decent track record

My top three would be (without being dillusional)

1. Van Gaal

2. David Moyes

3. Martin Jol

To be honest guys redknapps not a bad shout, he will have us playin good footbal and if we are playin well, we will win games, if we win games we progress up the league and eventually into europe and the top 4. It all starts with playing good football and harry will bring that!

Though i would prefer the likes of jose or lippi, i still thik HR is the best out of the other names banded about atm.

Edited by Maestro7

backpagefriday417450arw1.jpg

Here's your £20m deal, 'Arry

By STEVE BRENNER

Published: Today

rigTeaserImage

NEWCASTLE will offer Harry Redknapp £20million to be their new boss.

Redknapp or his adviser will meet Magpies officials in London today.

Billionaire Toon owner Mike Ashley is determined to land the Portsmouth chief and will hand him a whopping four-year deal worth £5m a year.

That’s a staggering FIVE TIMES what he is earning now at Fratton Park.

Ashley will also:

#

Allow Redknapp to commute to work by plane from his beloved South Coast.

#

Hand him a transfer war chest to go for men like Spurs’ Pascal Chimbonda.

#

Pay Pompey £3m compensation.

Redknapp, 60, has told pals he haS taken Portsmouth as far as he can and would welcome the challenge at St James’.

But the deal is far from done. Brother-in-law Frank Lampard Snr said: “He’s a top, top manager but I don’t know if he would leave the South Coast, to be fair.

“He’s settled down there. He likes taking his dogs for a walk along the coast. But time will tell, I suppose.”

Immerse himself

There are six flights a day from Southampton to Newcastle with only one on a Saturday but Redknapp would want Ashley to organise a private jet.

Yet Redknapp’s reluctance to move to Tyneside would not go down well with the Toon Army, who would want the new man to immerse himself in the North East.

Redknapp signed a new four-year deal at Pompey in October and Fratton owner Alexandre Gaydamak would want the contract paid in full before any talks can begin.

That will be no problem for Ashley, who stumped up an estimated £6m to get rid of Sam.

But Pompey last night issued a statement, insisting no formal approach has been made for Redknapp.

The statement read: “We take it as a compliment that our personnel are often linked with some of the top clubs in this country and, indeed, abroad. It is a testimony to the quality of their work.

“The club has received no approaches for the services of our valued manager. He remains as committed as ever.”