Shay Given

newcastlebroon

In my opinion, Shay Given has gone stale. Since that injury at Upton Park, the lad hasn't looked like the same goalkeeper. Getting beaten from distance on ocassion after ocassion, some of the poorest distribution we've seen since Harper was in the team, and no command of his area. Should we think about bringing a new one in, or is he good enough for this shit-heap of a team we've got at the moment. Discuss.

Not as good as he was imo. About 8 other positions need addressing first though.

Agreed, he's the least of our worries at the moment.

still a world class shot stopper. needs to work on his kicking. i wouldn't swap him for many in the premiership

You'd take him over James, Carson, flash gordon?

Everyone has bad days...

Everton 7 -1 Sunderland

Man United 6 -0 Newcastle

The best of a negative situation...

In my opinion, Shay Given has gone stale. Since that injury at Upton Park, the lad hasn't looked like the same goalkeeper. Getting beaten from distance on ocassion after ocassion, some of the poorest distribution we've seen since Harper was in the team, and no command of his area. Should we think about bringing a new one in, or is he good enough for this shit-heap of a team we've got at the moment. Discuss.

he's good, but never thought he was top quality

Best keeper we've ever had in my lifetime.

You dont know what you've got til its gone!

one of the best in mine. But that doesn't mean he's top class. The sad thing is that I don't honestly think we have ever had a top class goalkeeper in all my time supporting the club, in the same class positionally as Shearer, Gazza, Tony Green, Beardsley, Ginola, Venison, Nattrass, Moncur, Rob Lee etc etc were in theirs. Its probably the ONLY position where we haven't had someone really outstanding.

We had a keeper in the 1970's called Roger Jones, who Gordon Lee bought from Bournemouth. I think he would have been the best, but he damaged his hand and finger [i think] in a bad injury and never really came back the same as before and faded out of the game.

Very true. The last bit applies to SBR too.

some of us knew what we had when we had him! i can't believe so many thought (and still think) we should have sacked robson.

Edited by Dr Gloom

Very true. The last bit applies to SBR too.

some of us knew what we had when we had him! i can't believe so many thought (and still think) we should have sacked robson.

What have I done? ;)

still a world class shot stopper. needs to work on his kicking. i wouldn't swap him for many in the premiership

Do you think those three are better than Given like? He's not the player he was, but he's still one of the best in the league imo. Only one of those 3 that is anywhere near Given right now is James. Carson and Gordon are both relatively young and will get better though

Borders on blasphemy. We would've gone down last season if not for Given and if you think we're bad now imagine what we'd be like without him this season.

Distribution I won't argue with, he does seem to have trouble bossing his line but it's A, the language barrier and B, still working on relationships with 3-4 new defenders in front of him.

James is a good keeper but very much getting on and prone to errors. When he's on, he's on. When he's not, it's painfully obvious. Carson has a lot to learn yet and I don't think Gordon will ever live up to the hype. Future Championship keeper in my opinion.

Edited by acrossthepond

His worst season in a long time, but still better than most which is testament to how good hes actually been! There isnt really anyone id swap him for. Even cech has dropped a couple of bollocks this season.

Just look at Englands no.1 to see that things arent 'that bad'

His worst season in a long time, but still better than most which is testament to how good hes actually been! There isnt really anyone id swap him for. Even cech has dropped a couple of bollocks this season.

Just look at Englands no.1 to see that things arent 'that bad'

no point getting sentimental about Shay. He's a good keeper who has spent his career here and has probably became a real NUFC man. But if the chance came about to replace him wth the Gordon Banks or Ray Clemence of today, we should do it.

And there you see the problem with British goalkeepers .....

Edited by LeazesMag

Do you think those three are better than Given like? He's not the player he was, but he's still one of the best in the league imo. Only one of those 3 that is anywhere near Given right now is James. Carson and Gordon are both relatively young and will get better though

He is still one of the best in the world. There are very few I would swap him for. On a side note, should he not be getting a testimonial soon?

• 1 month later...

didn't want to start a new topic.

I hope Harper starts against ManUtd. There is no point, even the slightest doubt, of Given starting and then pulling up once again. For me, Harper has been the better keeper since that big lump Harewood gave Given car-crash wounds.

didn't want to start a new topic.

I hope Harper starts against ManUtd. There is no point, even the slightest doubt, of Given starting and then pulling up once again. For me, Harper has been the better keeper since that big lump Harewood gave Given car-crash wounds.

I rate Given but I actually agree that.

nowhere near the player he once proved he was when we were 3rd 4th and 5th recently... i think they keep rushing him back because the cover in that position whilst ok is nothing special...

gets beaten from all ranges and hasn't the spring or the strength or the size of the top goalkeepers.