'Black Widow' Shearer answerable for Newcastle's demise

Barney

'Black Widow' Shearer answerable for Newcastle's demise

Alan Shearer's conduct over the course of this season has been cowardly and cruel

Michael Hann

michael_hann_140byline_Wcup.jpg

January 16, 2008 11:53 AM

Alan Shearer is the Winona Ryder of Newcastle United. She used to be known as the "Black Widow" due to her habit of picking up rock singers, having a relationship with them, and then discarding them, seemingly destroying their careers in the process.

Shearer's not that bad. He just picked the one football club - one he professes to love - and set about turning it into an adjunct of his ego. He never seems particularly concerned about what he could do for the club, unless "friends" divulging to supine journalists the circumstances under which he'd be prepared to manage the club actually counts as helping the Magpies. I'm not sure it does.

Now, it's probably true that not everything that has gone wrong at St James' Park in the past decade has been Shearer's fault. Just most of it. But what can one expect from a man who has spent so much of his career letting the world know that he is bigger than any team he plays for - even the national side. Remember when Graham Kelly said Shearer had threatened to withdraw from the England World Cup squad if the FA dared to punish him for the unfortunate and accidental contact his boot made with the head of the hapless Neil Lennon in April 1998?.

There were plenty who disliked Shearer long before he became the anointed one of Tyneside. At Blackburn he picked up a reputation for being a nasty, niggly player; one who was happy to bend the rules, harangue referees and offer opponents the benefit of the sharper parts of his anatomy. It's said that fans only hate opponents with ability. That's not true; we hate opponents who think they're above the rules, too. That's why people started to turn against Shearer.

But we didn't see how unhealthy his presence could be until August 1999, when Ruud Gullit was sacked as Newcastle manager after leaving Shearer out of the starting line-up for the home game against Sunderland. History records that the Magpies lost 2-1 and Shearer was regarded as having forced Gullit out. History less often records that Newcastle were 1-0 up at half-time and the scores were level when Shearer came on. As Gullit justifiably observed: "When we were 1-0 up no one complained. Then we put him on in the second half and lost. What conclusions do you draw from that?"

Bobby Robson followed Gullit and by the end of 2000 the Sunday Mirror was reporting his intentions. In a piece published on December 31 - in which Shearer was quoted, so it probably wasn't wild speculation - the paper noted that he would "take over from Robson in the summer of 2002". He didn't, of course. Robson wasn't going anywhere, but this was the first of the many false starts to Shearer's managerial career, and it set the pattern to come: the assumption that whatever Big Al wanted, Big Al would get.

Some thought it might finally happen in early 2004, when Robson left Shearer out of Newcastle's Uefa Cup game against Valarenga. Shearer told the world he was "angry, disappointed and very surprised" to be left out. And the world heard the sound of knives sharpening.

They weren't deployed on that occasion, but there was plenty of evidence that Shearer was exerting an unhealthy level of influence during Robson's reign - not least in the manager's apparent acceptance that the only way for Newcastle to play was in whatever fashion suited Shearer. Remember, by this point Shearer was shorn of his pace and wasn't the finisher of his prime, which meant Newcastle had to adjust their game to compensate for his weaknesses.

It's a tribute to Robson's skills that he was able to construct the only worthwhile Newcastle team since Kevin Keegan was boss given those constraints. It's also arguable, though, that having to build his team around Shearer prevented Robson from rebuilding, at a time of strength, in a fashion that would have provided Newcastle with a base for the future. Newcastle fell apart when Shearer retired not because he was gone, but because they had already been fatally weakened on the pitch by the need to accommodate him.

And now this. After months of febrile speculation about how much Shearer wanted the Newcastle job - not his fault, but he could probably have stopped those "friends" from telling the press about his ambitions - Sam Allardyce finally vacated the seat, the great hero of the Geordie Nation having seen him off as well. Surely, at last, Shearer would have the courage of his convictions and make his case. But still, no official comment from the great man; just the mutterings about how he's nobody's No2 (despite still not having completed his Uefa Pro Licence, theoretically necessary for all Premier League managers, more than 18 months after retiring), except possibly Keegan's.

I wouldn't give a toss about all this were Shearer open about his ambitions. But he's not, is he? His behaviour over the course of this season has been, frankly, cowardly and cruel. He allowed Sam Allardyce to be hung out to dry in his name, without ever saying a word about his own intentions or feelings. He's displayed breathtaking arrogance in his apparent belief that he has nothing to learn from any more experienced managers. And his failure to discuss any of this in any meaningful way has displayed incredible contempt for his employer, the BBC, and Newcastle's fans. And still he is fawned over. It's baffling beyond belief.

Alan Shearer was a great, great footballer. If only he were as much of a man.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/01/...answerable.html

That bit in bold is the laziest bit of writing I've seen in some time.

Edited by Barney

Stop the mother fucking press - Shearer's a cunt shocker!!

We've known that for years ffs.

He used to have a flat in Jesmond that he bought on the QT where him and all his croonies would go after a night out with various slappers of the North-East.

Apparently there was many a night where Shearer passed out on the floor of this flat, cock in hand, to mortal to pull himself to his feet!!

Scumbag!! :D

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/01/...answerable.html

Alan Shearer is the Winona Ryder of Newcastle United. She used to be known as the "Black Widow" due to her habit of picking up rock singers, having a relationship with them, and then discarding them, seemingly destroying their careers in the process.

Shearer's not that bad. He just picked the one football club - one he professes to love - and set about turning it into an adjunct of his ego. He never seems particularly concerned about what he could do for the club, unless "friends" divulging to supine journalists the circumstances under which he'd be prepared to manage the club actually counts as helping the Magpies. I'm not sure it does.

Now, it's probably true that not everything that has gone wrong at St James' Park in the past decade has been Shearer's fault. Just most of it. But what can one expect from a man who has spent so much of his career letting the world know that he is bigger than any team he plays for - even the national side. Remember when Graham Kelly said Shearer had threatened to withdraw from the England World Cup squad if the FA dared to punish him for the unfortunate and accidental contact his boot made with the head of the hapless Neil Lennon in April 1998?.

There were plenty who disliked Shearer long before he became the anointed one of Tyneside. At Blackburn he picked up a reputation for being a nasty, niggly player; one who was happy to bend the rules, harangue referees and offer opponents the benefit of the sharper parts of his anatomy. It's said that fans only hate opponents with ability. That's not true; we hate opponents who think they're above the rules, too. That's why people started to turn against Shearer.

But we didn't see how unhealthy his presence could be until August 1999, when Ruud Gullit was sacked as Newcastle manager after leaving Shearer out of the starting line-up for the home game against Sunderland. History records that the Magpies lost 2-1 and Shearer was regarded as having forced Gullit out. History less often records that Newcastle were 1-0 up at half-time and the scores were level when Shearer came on. As Gullit justifiably observed: "When we were 1-0 up no one complained. Then we put him on in the second half and lost. What conclusions do you draw from that?"

Bobby Robson followed Gullit and by the end of 2000 the Sunday Mirror was reporting his intentions. In a piece published on December 31 - in which Shearer was quoted, so it probably wasn't wild speculation - the paper noted that he would "take over from Robson in the summer of 2002". He didn't, of course. Robson wasn't going anywhere, but this was the first of the many false starts to Shearer's managerial career, and it set the pattern to come: the assumption that whatever Big Al wanted, Big Al would get.

Some thought it might finally happen in early 2004, when Robson left Shearer out of Newcastle's Uefa Cup game against Valarenga. Shearer told the world he was "angry, disappointed and very surprised" to be left out. And the world heard the sound of knives sharpening.

They weren't deployed on that occasion, but there was plenty of evidence that Shearer was exerting an unhealthy level of influence during Robson's reign - not least in the manager's apparent acceptance that the only way for Newcastle to play was in whatever fashion suited Shearer. Remember, by this point Shearer was shorn of his pace and wasn't the finisher of his prime, which meant Newcastle had to adjust their game to compensate for his weaknesses.

It's a tribute to Robson's skills that he was able to construct the only worthwhile Newcastle team since Kevin Keegan was boss given those constraints. It's also arguable, though, that having to build his team around Shearer prevented Robson from rebuilding, at a time of strength, in a fashion that would have provided Newcastle with a base for the future. Newcastle fell apart when Shearer retired not because he was gone, but because they had already been fatally weakened on the pitch by the need to accommodate him.

And now this. After months of febrile speculation about how much Shearer wanted the Newcastle job - not his fault, but he could probably have stopped those "friends" from telling the press about his ambitions - Sam Allardyce finally vacated the seat, the great hero of the Geordie Nation having seen him off as well. Surely, at last, Shearer would have the courage of his convictions and make his case. But still, no official comment from the great man; just the mutterings about how he's nobody's No2 (despite still not having completed his Uefa Pro Licence, theoretically necessary for all Premier League managers, more than 18 months after retiring), except possibly Keegan's.

I wouldn't give a toss about all this were Shearer open about his ambitions. But he's not, is he? His behaviour over the course of this season has been, frankly, cowardly and cruel. He allowed Sam Allardyce to be hung out to dry in his name, without ever saying a word about his own intentions or feelings. He's displayed breathtaking arrogance in his apparent belief that he has nothing to learn from any more experienced managers. And his failure to discuss any of this in any meaningful way has displayed incredible contempt for his employer, the BBC, and Newcastle's fans. And still he is fawned over. It's baffling beyond belief.

Alan Shearer was a great, great footballer. If only he were as much of a man.

By Michael Hann

michael_hann_140byline_Wcup.jpg

I agree with the majority of it.

A lot of it is complete tosh though. Just made up or opinion based on speculation presented like fact (Shearer washed up in 1999? Gullit not going frankly mental from the pressure? Shearer not Souness [or FFS] taking apart Robson's team? Bah) .

Shearer is likely significantly to blame for the troubles around the time of Robson's sacking, but really that's about it.

He or his "shadow" may have been unhelpful at times re: managers recently, but even that is largely fuelled by the press (who want it that way for something to write about)..... which is really what this seems to be, someone at the Guardian (yet again) having a go at NUFC in an indirect way.

Which poster the other day called Shearer 'self-serving'? They weren't far wrong and neither is this guy, even if he is a bit over the top with it.

Self-serving cunt were my exact words.

I agree with the majority of it.

A lot of it is complete tosh though.

I disagree.

Which bits aren't?

It's opinion FFS.

Aye, of course, but it rates up their on the tosh scale.

I mean he's basically saying Shearer was a net drain on the team from 1999, is that right?

He's saying Shearer resulted in Souness's buying and selling and falling out with players, is that right?

Even the Gullit resignation wasn't Shearer's "doing" (although all that surely added to the existing issues) so much as the man in question going barmy from the pressure of the job.

He's even saying playing Shearer made Robson's team fail (when Shearer was only ever not played with an eye to resting him for further games - something he wasn't happy about, but clearly shows Robson wasn't exactly being foisted with him when he'd rather have got rid and had someone else in), is that right?

It is just more toshtastic Guardian NUFC hate (which seems to be a prerequisite for working there), opinion or otherwise.

There's several areas where Shearer deserves a slating, but almost none of them are in that tosh.

I didn't say I agreed with it all. I'm not arguing with you though Fop because it has to be the most fruitless task on this message board and a quick look at the stuff you've just written about the article is just one of the clues as to why - e.g. Souness doesn't even get a mention in the article. :D

I didn't say I agreed with it all. I'm not arguing with you though Fop because it has to be the most fruitless task on this message board and a quick look at the stuff you've just written about the article is just one of the clues as to why - e.g. Souness doesn't even get a mention in the article. :D

It is when I'm right. :D

(and although it doesn't mention him directly it does state it indirectly :icon_lol: ).

Where?

Where he's talking about Newcastle falling apart when he retired, nothing to do with Souness destroying Robson's team and getting rid of at least two of the players most likely TO actually support an ageing Shearer's play, or indeed the myriad of other issues adding to it (FFS, Roeder, massive injury problems etc. etc.).

Where?

Where he's talking about Newcastle falling apart when he retired, nothing to do with Souness destroying Robson's team and getting rid of at least two of the players most likely TO actually support an ageing Shearer's play, or indeed the myriad of other issues adding to it (FFS, Roeder, massive injury problems etc. etc.).

I disagree :nufc:

Where?

It's ok I don't care now anyway. :nufc:

Where?

It's ok I don't care now anyway. :icon_lol:

Me either. :nufc: