Richard Dunne?

bassplayerjj

Joe Average personified.

See I find that's the view of the standard know fuck all, not that I'm saying you are. It's a popular view though, amongst the the clueless 80% of football fans, the same fans who think Hoddle is a shit coach. Not that I'm saying that applies to you, I don't think it does and you're entitled to your opinion, but the bloke is a man mountain, City have been shit but he's still been their player of the season 3 years in a row, he's a magnificent defender, to whoever said he was slow :icon_lol:

The modern day football fan, makes me feel embarrassed of my favourite sport.

Well if I'm being totally honest, by calling him 'average' I was trying to be charitable by equalising his bad points against his good ones - thus resulting in an overall score which was 'meh'-ok. The truth of the matter tho really is that any bad points at CB are going to get you found out so it doesnt work like that in reality. Consequently if I was pressed I'd say he was overall poor.

He isn't slow I'd agree, but equally he's not fast enough to compete with the fastest strikers. the only way you can compensate for that is with a monumentally well timed challenge (step forward Woodgate) and he's not in that league either. His good points are that he's generally consistent and throws himself into challenges 100%, but we've got someone like that already in Taylor and he's not good enough either. Theyre very much in the same moldfor me. It's just it's more tolerable to see that as a fan when someone is visibly giving their all-which Dunne definitely does, but that doesnt equate to actual class at the end of the day.

I hear what you say. But not all central defenders have to be ball players. Other attributes are important for central defenders, there is absolutely nothing wrong with throwing everything into a 100% challenge !!!! Step forward John Terry, Carragher, Vidic to name a few. I completely disagree with what you say about Taylor too.

Totally agree with that, never said I wanted a ball palying CB and definitely don't want a ball playing CB. I hope KK avoids the temptation this time too (but doubt it). I applaud your John Terry example as it is spot on. That's the type of player that Dunne would be if he was just generally all round a bit better (if you get what i mean). But he's not. That's the level above for me.

Steven Taylor will never make a top defender.

The same was said of Dunne at his age and look at him now B)

I'm sorry but isn't that central to the whole dispute here?

Well there shouldn't be any dispute because Richards wouldn't look half as good as he has done this season if he was playing with an inferior defender at the back.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Richards is a bit of an irrelevance for me as a barometer in that context because the guy can literally afford to make two challenges for each ball he goes for. Eben if the first is a mistake he has time to rectify with another. He's typical of someone who will make a very good career for himself out of just being more athletic than his opponent.

I don't think Dunne's abilities look enhanced by Richards' or Richards' by Dunne's tbh.

Richards is a bit of an irrelevance for me as a barometer in that context because the guy can literally afford to make two challenges for each ball he goes for. Eben if the first is a mistake he has time to rectify with another. He's typical of someone who will make a very good career for himself out of just being more athletic than his opponent.

I don't think Dunne's abilities look enhanced by Richards' or Richards' by Dunne's tbh.

Well at least agree that they have been the 2nd best parternership at the back in the EPL this season behind that other team from Manchester...?

(well Distin and Campbell tied 2nd perhaps?...hehe)

3rd edit! gallas and toure, forgot about them, dunne and richards in 3rd then!

Edited by bassplayerjj

Well at least agree that they have been the 2nd best parternership at the back in the EPL this season behind that other team from Manchester...?

(well Distin and Campbell tied 2nd perhaps?...hehe)

At home yes and away from home no.

De facto that amounts to a massive difference. On the road is where strengths really get tested and medals get won.

Id argue that you could do with both an athletic player and a player who can throw himself into challenges. In Taylor we have someone who can throw themselves into challenges but also possesses a bit of pace whereas Faye is probably the better ball winner. Overall we are lacking a more athletic CB.

Id argue that you could do with both an athletic player and a player who can throw himself into challenges. In Taylor we have someone who can throw themselves into challenges but also possesses a bit of pace whereas Faye is probably the better ball winner. Overall we are lacking a more athletic CB.

maybe this is where Wes Brown could be involved?

Usually resulting in a free-kick/penalty

Hopeless fucker.

maybe this is where Wes Brown could be involved?

I think Wes Brown has a lot to recommend him as a target, but all of that is undermined by the fact that he has played his entire career under Fergie at Man U.

Being honest I think most players we get in will be motivated by and have respect for KK. The exception would be any players coming from Old Trafford. Like it or not Keegan's name is a byword for amateurism in that neck of the woods. For that reason it represents an unacceptable gamble.

Hopeless fucker.

:icon_lol:

aye, true enough like.

he's quick strong plus he's one of those ugly brutish centre halfs that will scare off a lot of strikers when he comes running after you with this knuckles scraping on the floor. kind of a modern day martin keown.

he'd stroll into our team ahead of the likes of cacapa, rozehnal, cacapa etc

You REALLY don't rate him then..... B)

Edited by Asprilla

Hopeless fucker.

aye, true enough like.

For some reason the nation media see him as a shining light amongst our defenders.

Think he's a bit like Faye and KK might like a 'footballing centre-half' / sweeper a la Albert ideally.

I know this is going back on the conversation a bit but I agree with the above and think Rozenhal fits the bill. Under Keegan, watch him go.... charging forward way over the half way line. Nicky Butt, you better get out of the way man.

Hopeless fucker.

aye, true enough like.

For some reason the nation media see him as a shining light amongst our defenders.

He's young, English and not completely shit, that's why.

Joe Average personified.

See I find that's the view of the standard know fuck all, not that I'm saying you are. It's a popular view though, amongst the the clueless 80% of football fans, the same fans who think Hoddle is a shit coach. Not that I'm saying that applies to you, I don't think it does and you're entitled to your opinion, but the bloke is a man mountain, City have been shit but he's still been their player of the season 3 years in a row, he's a magnificent defender, to whoever said he was slow :icon_lol:

1) Dunne was gash at Everton and started off terribly at Man City

2) Hoddle might be a decent coach. Bad manager. Ask Wolves fans.

3) Richard Dunne is slow. FACT.

Joe Average personified.

1) Dunne was gash at Everton and started off terribly at Man City

2) Hoddle might be a decent coach. Bad manager. Ask Wolves fans.

I don't think he's horrifically slow, just his physique means he doesnt quite look like the thoroughbred racehorse. That said though he is still demonstrably slower than most strikers in the Prem (maybe bar Viduka) and therefore your point stands. Stevie's splitting hairs in that post imho.

Guest stevieintoon

no he isn't. FACT

Exactly, do these people actually watch football? Even not the quickest is wrong, he's quite pacey, but gives the impression of being slow cos he's such a big man. I'd be delighted if we get him and Broon (Wes that is not the jock one). Tell me a player who's ran past Dunne, and give me an example when it happened, not holding my breath.

no he isn't. FACT

Exactly, do these people actually watch football? Even not the quickest is wrong, he's quite pacey, but gives the impression of being slow cos he's such a big man. I'd be delighted if we get him and Broon (Wes that is not the jock one). Tell me a player who's ran past Dunne, and give me an example when it happened, not holding my breath.

Bellamy. Dunne was sent off. Now fuck off :icon_lol:

Edited by alex

Oi no! Hands off Dunney. B)

I'm hoping that KK doesn't want him and doesn't start tempting him to SJP with talk of Guinness and Jaffa cakes.

And Sugar Puffs :icon_lol:

bellas will skin most centre halfs. anyone who thinks dunne is slow has obviously never seen him play.

I was answering his question, I wasn't saying it made Dunne slow. I would actually agree with the rest of what Stevie said because, thinking about it, he's rarely outpaced.