Am i the only one ?

duckerDavies

Its hard to argue againts the facts. On paper this is far from a good appointment. But so many (including myself) think that KK can do more here than he would at any other club. Why? I've no idea. What I do know is that he left both Fulham and City in a better position than he joined them. Thats all I ask here. Do I expect us to win the league? No. Simple as. Not even close. But, what about the Uefa cup? Sure, why not? Even if we do jump from our current mid table side to a top 7 side, it will be done in a way much much better than it was appearing under Sam. Happy Mondays once more. (Thrills, spills & bellyaches :icon_lol: )

Not that my opinion matters a toss to NUFC supporters B) but I've changed my opinion over the last couple of days.

When I first heard the news on Wednesday I thought it was a truly bizzare decision and quite frankly a bad one given:

a) His time out of the game

b ) The fact that he was never able to truly replicate his acheivements with NUFC elsewhere and was even in danger of takies the berties down

c) Most importantly, I think you need long term stability now and don't think you'll get that with KK. He has a habit of walking away at the first murmurings of discontent and even if he brings success he's unlikely to stay beyond 3 seasons which throw the club into turmoil once more

Let's be honest, leaving the Keegan 'emotion' out of it, there were far better candidates out there based on his managerial record. If it was anybody else with his managerial record, at his age, that hadn't won a single trophy as a manager you'd all be suicidal at the appointment :)

But.... after reading threads on here and seeing the excitement it's generated then I'm changing my mind somewhat. The club and supporters quite obviouly need a massive boost and this appointment has generated a massive 'feelgood' feeling again. For a short time at least the fans will all be optmistic and full of hope again which I don't think can be underestimated. Personally, I can't see the appointment being succesful if you are going to judge success as winning trophies during his leadership but as somebody said previously on here.... fuck it, let the rollercoater begin :icon_lol:

you're certainly not alone. I hadnt expected this kind of response to the news at first, but then if within a few hours I was besides myself with excitement. And I'm 350 miles away, imagine the effect in Newcastle.

Roll on Saturday, surely it cant all go wrong so quickly?

We need to be careful though. We aint suddently going to be winning every game or expecting to beat Arsenals and Man Utd. One step at a time. We should beat Bolton. And lets see if we can get a couple of players in to boost the squad.

We need to be careful though. We aint suddently going to be winning every game or expecting to beat Arsenals and Man Utd. One step at a time. We should beat Bolton. And lets see if we can get a couple of players in to boost the squad.

Amen to that. The concern is that the enthusiasm and euphoria is built on some sort of misguided belief that we will suddenly start doing that, so that when we inevitably don't, it will then wain.

My take on it in all honesty is to see that Kev is here on some sort of humanitarian mission to restore the faith and give us hope and promise. Beyond that though and we need a more sophisticated strategy for the future management.

I for one am not one of the apparent hordes (media creation???) that absolutely delights in 4-3 losses. It hurts to fuck tbh and I want to see some silverware in my lifetime.

The first thing I thought when I found out Keegan had been reappointed was that it was pathetic, and that Mort/Ashley were just gunna let the fans run the club. But really is hard to stay negative about it, the place is buzzing...and its made me look forward to a game which hasn't happened since SBR. I just hope it doesn't tarnish our memories of him.

I for one am not one of the apparent hordes (media creation???) that absolutely delights in 4-3 losses. It hurts to fuck tbh and I want to see some silverware in my lifetime.

Yes the 4-3 shite is bollocks (I think his average scoreline in his first period as manager was 2-1).

But the fact is the majority of Newcastle fans demand attractive football first and foremost. Otherwise, Allardyce would still be here, because we were in no danger.

Its hard to argue againts the facts. On paper this is far from a good appointment. But so many (including myself) think that KK can do more here than he would at any other club. Why? I've no idea. What I do know is that he left both Fulham and City in a better position than he joined them. Thats all I ask here. Do I expect us to win the league? No. Simple as. Not even close. But, what about the Uefa cup? Sure, why not? Even if we do jump from our current mid table side to a top 7 side, it will be done in a way much much better than it was appearing under Sam. Happy Mondays once more. (Thrills, spills & bellyaches :icon_lol: )

I agree, few supporters can have the pleasure of seeing their teams win trophies etc so it really comes down to getting enjoyment from following your team. If you enjoy and feel good about it then you are getting your moneys worth, if you don't then you are not. Simple really! The supporters almost universally feel good about their team again so on that basis it's a good appointment.

Yes the 4-3 shite is bollocks (I think his average scoreline in his first period as manager was 2-1).

But the fact is the majority of Newcastle fans demand attractive football first and foremost. Otherwise, Allardyce would still be here, because we were in no danger.

The 4-3 shite is bollocks in that sense, but the point it is making still stands I think.

I don't know that Newcastle fans demands for attractive football are any way different to other fans tbh. I just think we're more of the mindset that you can only have success or attractive football. That theyre mutually exclusive-one or the other. That view needs to changed tbh. There's managers out there that can win trophies doing both. See Arsenal under Wenger and Man U under Fergie for 75% of their trophies.

The two 4-3s against Liverpool were awful but especially the first one. It was absolutely heart-breaking at the time and still is. It's fucking bollocks, no one likes their team losing but especially in a game as crucial as that. Re: Allardyce, it wasn't that the football was unnattractive so much as it was ineffective. We were losing games we should have been winning and were seemingly not making progress, especially in areas like the defence, where we looked worse than ever.

There is no magic formula though really.

Just money (and the ability to spend it at least reasonably well - which I think KK does, at the very least), stability and luck.

Although other stuff certainly helps, without those core three things it won't get you anywhere anyway (don't care who the manager might be). So hopefully the current set-up should provide two out of those three at least.

Amen to that. The concern is that the enthusiasm and euphoria is built on some sort of misguided belief that we will suddenly start doing that, so that when we inevitably don't, it will then wain.

My take on it in all honesty is to see that Kev is here on some sort of humanitarian mission to restore the faith and give us hope and promise. Beyond that though and we need a more sophisticated strategy for the future management.

Totally agree, including an earlier one of JawD's posts.

I don't expect to win the league under KK. If he can turn us into an attractive, attack minded, match winning side with self belief and a helping of balls then he will have done his job. He will have turned the team/club into an attractive prospect for someone who can take us to that next level.

Logic (and history) tells us that a second bite of the cherry is never as good as the first; but then, when does NUFC ever follow logic?

Edited by maggiespaws