Gullit - Newcastle still unrealistic

Jimbo

Ruud Gullit feels Newcastle remain 'unrealistic' about their ambitions.

Gullit is one of six men to have managed on Tyneside following Kevin Keegan's original spell in charge - but he lasted little more than 12 months.

Now Keegan has returned to take-over for a second time - but Gullit says the expectation level is still too high.

"I think the expectations at Newcastle are so incredibly high that maybe they are not realistic for the people who go to work there," said Gullit - now coach of Los Angeles Galaxy.

"Newcastle is such a big club and I think they have had great coaches and some big names - Sam Allardyce, Glenn Roeder, Graeme Souness, Bobby Robson, Kenny Dalglish - and therefore it is not about the coaches, it is much more complex than that.

"With Sam Allardyce it was incredible - once he was talked of with the national team and now nothing, and I think again they haven't been realistic there with him. It is not possible there, just not possible.

"Also you have the local press, who have big expectations and big ambitions, and it is not realistic what they ask.

"The most difficult part is that they have to compete with teams who are much more attractive than Newcastle are.

"Most big players and promising young players go to Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Tottenham.

"It means that none of the biggest players want to go there (Newcastle) which is a major a difficulty that you have to deal with."

Hard

Gullit does not think Keegan will be able to transform Newcastle's fortunes in the near future

"No, he won't do it. It is not realistic to expect that," Gullit added.

"For the simple reason that the other clubs have a huge advantage because they have the best youngsters and the best players in all these other teams. So it is going to be difficult and it is not realistic.

"A realistic goal is that he needs to have the time to build a team and maybe then in the future they can compete in the league."

"The most difficult part is that they have to compete with teams who are much more attractive than Newcastle are.

"Most big players and promising young players go to Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Tottenham.

"It means that none of the biggest players want to go there (Newcastle) which is a major a difficulty that you have to deal with."

He's right to a point there. A lot of overseas players prefer London in particular because it is more cosmopolitan. One of the added bonuses of having Keegan to an Allardyce or a Roeder though, is it makes us 150% more attractive. Keegan makes us big box office again and the players will come to be a part of it.

He's right up to a point. My biggest fear in all of this is that the general fans perception of what's to come is far too high...

We really need to start employing the ethic "expect fuck all and you won't be disappointed". We never expected back in 1992. We hoped he'd save us but I don't think anyone 'expected' that it would definitely happen.

Ruud Gullit feels Newcastle remain 'unrealistic' about their ambitions.

Gullit is one of six men to have managed on Tyneside following Kevin Keegan's original spell in charge - but he lasted little more than 12 months.

Now Keegan has returned to take-over for a second time - but Gullit says the expectation level is still too high.

"I think the expectations at Newcastle are so incredibly high that maybe they are not realistic for the people who go to work there," said Gullit - now coach of Los Angeles Galaxy.

"Newcastle is such a big club and I think they have had great coaches and some big names - Sam Allardyce, Glenn Roeder, Graeme Souness, Bobby Robson, Kenny Dalglish - and therefore it is not about the coaches, it is much more complex than that.

"With Sam Allardyce it was incredible - once he was talked of with the national team and now nothing, and I think again they haven't been realistic there with him. It is not possible there, just not possible.

"Also you have the local press, who have big expectations and big ambitions, and it is not realistic what they ask.

Hard

Gullit does not think Keegan will be able to transform Newcastle's fortunes in the near future

"No, he won't do it. It is not realistic to expect that," Gullit added.

"For the simple reason that the other clubs have a huge advantage because they have the best youngsters and the best players in all these other teams. So it is going to be difficult and it is not realistic.

"A realistic goal is that he needs to have the time to build a team and maybe then in the future they can compete in the league."

Sounds like a man with his finger on the pulse of english football....

Tottenham??? fuckin clueless yetti cunt

It's true unfortunately.

Ramos is a big name coach, they're in London and they've finished 5th for the last two years. Do you really think the cream of young European talent want to play in a mid table side in the north east? You can't expect players to feel the same way about Newcastle as we all do.

Souness, Roeder, Allardyce. Not really Wenger, Ferguson or Mourinho is it?

Keegan does represent something though and players will be drawn to us if we start playing with some flair and excitement but for the last 3-4 years, Spurs is as attractive a prospect for a player as we are, however much it might pain us to say it.

Celestine Babayaro has agreed a three-year deal with Los Angeles Galaxy after being released by Newcastle United. The left back, 29, will play under Ruud Gullit, who signed him for Chelsea in 1997.

:lol:

Realistically, Ruud Gullit can suck my hairy ballsack.

And realistically, even though I am straight, I can not guarantee not to get a semi if that ever happened.

Taking a different view :lol: haha but fair play i like the comment haha