Dissertations...

Scottish Mag

" Imperial chamber court in the early 16th century".

the who?  imp chamber sounds like the name for a toilet manufacturer.

"The Reichskammergericht or Imperial Chamber Court was created under Maximilian I. in the course of the Imperial Reform and establishment of the "Perpetual Peace" in 1495 as the highest court of the Holy Roman Empire German Nation. The Court's task was to develop a regulated procedure for the settlement of disputes by judicial means rather than by feud, force or ransom and thus to steer legal disputes onto a peaceful track. After holding court in various south and southwest German cities, the Court had its seat in Speyer from 1527 until that city's destruction in 1689. Thereafter the Court moved its seat to Wetzlar, where it remained until the end of the Old Empire in1806. Over the course of the 19th century the significance of the Court was largely forgotten. This has changed significantly, however, since the 1960s."

maybe ur actually trying to admit that u spent 6 months study the shapes of 300 year old potties!

38835[/snapback]

Nah, potty stuff is Swindon Mag's territory...

and I also spend four years... though, I wrote out every word...

• 2 weeks later...

Well i just got my dissertation topic today, was my first choice as well. Its on the fun packed world of Gold coated metal oxides for use as catalysts that work at extremely low temperatures (-70 deg C) and the possibility of using them in a catalytic converter instead of the current catalysts which only activate when heated to in excess of 200 deg C.

Well i just got my dissertation topic today, was my first choice as well. Its on the fun packed world of Gold coated metal oxides for use as catalysts that work at extremely low temperatures (-70 deg C) and the possibility of using them in a catalytic converter instead of the current catalysts which only activate when heated to in excess of 200 deg C.

44529[/snapback]

Piece of piss.

Speaking of scientific progress...

The Ig-Nobel-prize ceremony took place a couple of days ago.

http://www.improb.com/ig/ig-top.html

Here are this year's winners:

AGRICULTURAL HISTORY: James Watson of Massey University, New Zealand, for his scholarly study, "The Significance of Mr. Richard Buckley’s Exploding Trousers."

REFERENCE: "The Significance of Mr. Richard Buckley’s Exploding Trousers: Reflections on an Aspect of Technological Change in New Zealand Dairy-Farming between the World Wars," James Watson, Agricultural History, vol. 78, no. 3, Summer 2004, pp. 346-60.

WHO ATTENDED THE IG NOBEL CEREMONY: James Watson

PHYSICS: John Mainstone and the late Thomas Parnell of the University of Queensland, Australia, for patiently conducting an experiment that began in the year 1927 -- in which a glob of congealed black tar has been slowly, slowly dripping through a funnel, at a rate of approximately one drop every nine years.

REFERENCE: "The Pitch Drop Experiment," R. Edgeworth, B.J. Dalton and T. Parnell, European Journal of Physics, 1984, pp. 198-200.

WHO ATTENDED THE IG NOBEL CEREMONY: John Mainstone

MEDICINE: Gregg A. Miller of Oak Grove, Missouri, for inventing Neuticles -- artificial replacement testicles for dogs, which are available in three sizes, and three degrees of firmness.

REFERENCES: US Patent #5868140, and the book Going Going NUTS!, by Gregg A. Miller, PublishAmerica, 2004, ISBN 1413753167.

ACCEPTING: "The winner was unable to travel, and deliverd his acceptance speech via videotape."

LITERATURE: The Internet entrepreneurs of Nigeria, for creating and then using e-mail to distribute a bold series of short stories, thus introducing millions of readers to a cast of rich characters -- General Sani Abacha, Mrs. Mariam Sanni Abacha, Barrister Jon A Mbeki Esq., and others -- each of whom requires just a small amount of expense money so as to obtain access to the great wealth to which they are entitled and which they would like to share with the kind person who assists them.

PEACE: Claire Rind and Peter Simmons of Newcastle University, in the U.K., for electrically monitoring the activity of a brain cell in a locust while that locust was watching selected highlights from the movie "Star Wars."

REFERENCE: "Orthopteran DCMD Neuron: A Reevaluation of Responses to Moving Objects. I. Selective Responses to Approaching Objects," F.C. Rind and P.J. Simmons, Journal of Neurophysiology, vol. 68, no. 5, November 1992, pp. 1654-66.

WHO ATTENDED THE IG NOBEL CEREMONY: Claire Rind

ECONOMICS: Gauri Nanda of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, for inventing an alarm clock that runs away and hides, repeatedly, thus ensuring that people DO get out of bed, and thus theoretically adding many productive hours to the workday.

WHO ATTENDED THE IG NOBEL CEREMONY: Gauri Nanda

CHEMISTRY: Edward Cussler of the University of Minnesota and Brian Gettelfinger of the University of Minnesota and the University of Wisconsin, for conducting a careful experiment to settle the longstanding scientific question: can people swim faster in syrup or in water?

REFERENCE: "Will Humans Swim Faster or Slower in Syrup?" American Institute of Chemical Engineers Journal, Brian Gettelfinger and E. L. Cussler, vol. 50, no. 11, October 2004, pp. 2646-7.

WHO ATTENDED THE IG NOBEL CEREMONY: Brian Gettelfinger and Edward Cussler

BIOLOGY: Benjamin Smith of the University of Adelaide, Australia and the University of Toronto, Canada and the Firmenich perfume company, Geneva, Switzerland, and ChemComm Enterprises, Archamps, France; Craig Williams of James Cook University and the University of South Australia; Michael Tyler of the University of Adelaide; Brian Williams of the University of Adelaide; and Yoji Hayasaka of the Australian Wine Research Institute; for painstakingly smelling and cataloging the peculiar odors produced by 131 different species of frogs when the frogs were feeling stressed.

REFERENCE: "A Survey of Frog Odorous Secretions, Their Possible Functions and Phylogenetic Significance," Benjamin P.C. Smith, Craig R. Williams, Michael J. Tyler, and Brian D. Williams, Applied Herpetology, vol. 2, no. 1-2, February 1, 2004, pp. 47-82.

REFERENCE: "Chemical and Olfactory Characterization of Odorous Compounds and Their Precursors in the Parotoid Gland Secretion of the Green Tree Frog, Litoria caerulea," Benjamin P.C. Smith, Michael J. Tyler, Brian D. Williams, and Yoji Hayasaka, Journal of Chemical Ecology, vol. 29, no. 9, September 2003.

WHO ATTENDED THE IG NOBEL CEREMONY: Ben Smith and Craig Williams

NUTRITION: Dr. Yoshiro Nakamats of Tokyo, Japan, for photographing and retrospectively analyzing every meal he has consumed during a period of 34 years (and counting).

WHO ATTENDED THE IG NOBEL CEREMONY: Dr. Yoshiro Nakamats

FLUID DYNAMICS: Victor Benno Meyer-Rochow of International University Bremen, Germany and the University of Oulu , Finland; and Jozsef Gal of Loránd Eötvös University, Hungary, for using basic principles of physics to calculate the pressure that builds up inside a penguin, as detailed in their report "Pressures Produced When Penguins Pooh -- Calculations on Avian Defaecation."

PUBLISHED IN: Polar Biology, vol. 27, 2003, pp. 56-8.

ACCEPTING: The winners were unable to attend the ceremony because they could not obtain United States visas to visit the United States. Dr. Meyer-Rochow sent an acceptance speech via videotape.

44529[/snapback]

Christ! Staying awake to write that deserves a degree in itself...

Gotta do mine next year, gonna be a bitch. I'm doing dual honours so I hope I don't have to do 2 disserations, anyone been there and know what the situation will be?

44825[/snapback]

Call me crazy, but couldn't you ask one of your tutors or something? :)

Gotta do mine next year, gonna be a bitch. I'm doing dual honours so I hope I don't have to do 2 disserations, anyone been there and know what the situation will be?

44825[/snapback]

44828[/snapback]

What, in their 1 hour of office time a week with a fuck off great queue outside their door? :) Bloody waste of space

44825[/snapback]

44828[/snapback]

What, in their 1 hour of office time a week with a fuck off great queue outside their door? :) Bloody waste of space

44829[/snapback]

Email?

44825[/snapback]

44828[/snapback]

44829[/snapback]

Email?

44830[/snapback]

Nah :yes

Could do like, not that arsed for the minute as its ages away, just thought i'd bring it up while we were on topic.

44825[/snapback]

44828[/snapback]

44829[/snapback]

Email?

44830[/snapback]

Nah :yes

Could do like, not that arsed for the minute as its ages away, just thought i'd bring it up while we were on topic.

44832[/snapback]

Here's a topic for you Ally:

Internet card tricks: A simple trick that can only fool idiots, or REAL MAGIC??!

44825[/snapback]

Call me crazy, but couldn't you ask one of your tutors or something? <_<

44828[/snapback]

44829[/snapback]

Email?

44830[/snapback]

Nah :lol:

44832[/snapback]

Lazy bastard :)

:yes

I did dual honours French and German until early on in my final year when I drop-kicked the French part... I certainly would've had to do two dissertations, one in each language (which was part of the reason for the drop-kick, I have to admit :)), don't know if it'll be the same kind of thing for you though.