What would constitute success for Keegan?

Big TRon

We've read the articles, heard the views of the 'experts' and there seems to be a common view among the sceptics:

1) Keegan will run away

2) He's been out for too long

3) Keegan's a romantic twat.

4) Football has changed since Keegan's pomp

5) The top clubs are out of reach

The first three, no one can say, it's a case of you either believe or don't. This idea that football has changed beyond recognition I don't buy though. The top 4 are over the horizon, it's true. After that though, the Villas, Evertons and don't look out of reach at all. Everton and Villa are functional effective teams well managed. But I don't see anything in their football which marks them out as unreachable. If anything Spurs look the team who have the players to really make a push for the top 4 despite how badly they've done this season.

So for me, Keegan has every chance to be looking at top 6 next season. If he does that after all this time out of the game, shouldn't that be viewed as success seeing as how the same position would probably see Hughes, Moyes or O'Neill put forward for MBE's?

Personally I couldn't give a flying fuck what the media think, whatever they say, print and publish will not effect or change the way I support my football club.

Exactly.

I do wonder though, how much coverage this Liverpool protest is going to get tonight. I know if it were us there'd be blanket coverage with radgie after radgie getting to air their views. Of course, Scousers aren't fickle with their Champions league football and £25 million trophy signings, they just know what's best for their club. We're just thick Geordies that have been spoilt by the greatest chairman we ever had.

It just seems laughable that Everton, Villa, Blackburn etc are being bigged up and their managers lauded, when in reality, they have achieved comparatively little yet.

Exactly, outside the big 4 and Everton's 1 season in the CL (well qualifeirs where they got knocked out straight away) nobody has really done anything special.

For me Keegan being Keegan will aim as high as possible and see where we end up, but he'll certainly be aiming for 5th/6th and into europe, he'd settle for no less.

How we go this season, his pre-season signings and the like will decide if he can do that, but you wouldn't back against him if he gets things going the way he and NUFC can.

And you could argue if he got us to something like 8th that while we'd be disappointed, it would still be a step up on how far back we've slipped these days!

We've read the articles, heard the views of the 'experts' and there seems to be a common view among the sceptics:

1) Keegan will run away

2) He's been out for too long

3) Keegan's a romantic twat.

4) Football has changed since Keegan's pomp

5) The top clubs are out of reach

1) Keegan didn't run away the first time, well not from us. It's a media beat up. He left because the club was going to become a plc.

2) He's recharged his batteries. Being away from the game would have done him good, gave him time to assess what happened while he was in charge of England, because after that he lost his passion and burning desire.

3) He might be romantic, but he's also realistic I think. It's a huge task ahead of him but many others have failed miserably. He knows what we want and he'll do his best to deliver it, with his way.

4) Football has changed, but that doesn't mean he can't adapt. He's older and much wiser. Learnt from his mistakes with England. He hadn't watched a game live in 3 years but so what!

He's got a television and watched it. He's still got contacts in the game to let him in on what's been going on. I don't see that as an issue at all imo.

5) At the moment they are. Other teams are setup for success. We have to start from the bottom here. But Keegan's aura and self-belief will attract good players.

So for me, Keegan has every chance to be looking at top 6 next season. If he does that after all this time out of the game, shouldn't that be viewed as success seeing as how the same position would probably see Hughes, Moyes or O'Neill put forward for MBE's?

I'm hoping for top 6 next season. I think David Moyes has done a smashing job at Everton given the time and patience. I think Keegan can turn us around. The fickle fans will stay off his back at least and he'll be allowed to build a decent team in the summer, and hopefully he stays the whole of the three seasons and builds a team that can challenge for the top 4.

Keegan being Keegan will be aiming next season to break into the top four or even win the league. And this is the way it should be, what's the point in playing unless you play to win. This doesn't mean we will be expecting to achieve this and a wafa cup spot and some good football would be an excellent achivement next season.

Of course a lot will depend on what players we can bring in. If we do have the money to spend that is being suggested and Keegan can pursuade some of the names that are being talked about to come then it might be possible to have a realistic run at the top four.

Keegan being Keegan will be aiming next season to break into the top four or even win the league. And this is the way it should be, what's the point in playing unless you play to win.

The irony is unless Keegan wins something he'll be dubbed a failure. Don't get me wrong, while Moyes has done a decent job at Everton, he's done it mostly by building a solid, workmanlike side. Despite Arteta, a flair team they are not, and like Allardyce, I can't see him being able to transform his football ethos to become one. Man U and Arsenal are the teams to aspire to style-wise, and with Keegan you know we'll try and do that. Even if we finish top 6 playing the right way, that counts as success to me. Only SBR has managed it since Keegan last managed here so it's no mean feat.

To actually be a success for the club he wouldn't have to achieve that much (relative to his own time here or Robson's), top 6 before his contract is out would be doing fine and a success albeit not a glorious one.

To be a success for the media..... wining the Champions League might do it, but I dunno. :blush: It's strange but I really think the media wants us to be the eternal failure and I'm not sure what would make them change their mind (Keegan and Robson's years are look back it as "failures" by the sports media with their shoddy hindsight). Look a Sven, came in did very well, still doing well but not "going to win the league", but he's already been trumpeted a huge success even though we don't actually know where Man C will finish yet (and may do no better than Keegan).

There is no top 4 at the moment it is a top 3. But I just want to see us play better than since SBR's last season. Also want to see our players learn how to pass.

Do you not think Liverpool's winning loads of trophies including the European Cup in recent years merits their inclusion in the 'big four'?

There is no top 4 at the moment it is a top 3. But I just want to see us play better than since SBR's last season. Also want to see our players learn how to pass.

Do you not think Liverpool's winning loads of trophies including the European Cup in recent years merits their inclusion in the 'big four'?

Yes but the way they talk the CL positions are nailed on - they aren't - us, Eveeton and Spurs but for that illness debacle have all finished in the top 4 in the last 5 or 6 years.

Arsenal looked iffy in the last two years but have obviously rallied.

I'd say a good manager with a good squad and a bit of cash can cjallenge them within the next 2 or 3 years with a few teams nipping at their heels as well.

Yes but the way they talk the CL positions are nailed on - they aren't - us, Eveeton and Spurs but for that illness debacle have all finished in the top 4 in the last 5 or 6 years.

Arsenal looked iffy in the last two years but have obviously rallied.

I'd say a good manager with a good squad and a bit of cash can cjallenge them within the next 2 or 3 years with a few teams nipping at their heels as well.

Fair enough, but you can't have the one in bold. ;)

Does that mean that but for a traitorous Geordie (and from Whitley Bay as well - the shame) we were league champions in '96?