Signings No1 Priority

Jusoda Kid

Signings are no.1 priority

Jan 21 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

KEVIN KEEGAN will concentrate on strengthening his squad this week – and push all talk of adding to his backroom staff into the background.

Kevin Keegan

The $64,000 question in football today is whether Alan Shearer will be joining the man who brought him back to his native Tyneside from Blackburn Rovers as his No 2.

But Shearer has gone to Uganda to do some charity work for homeless youngsters and it is unlikely he will have any contact with Keegan this week.

This will allow Keegan, who only had 10 senior outfield players at his disposal against Bolton Wanderers on Saturday, to focus on bringing some much-needed new blood to St James’s Park.

And he knows that he is facing a race against time with the transfer window slamming shut again in just 10 days’ time.

When I asked KK if he had made any decision on his backroom staff, he told me: “Not yet. Obviously my first priority now is to see if we can get anyone in.

“The players are saying ‘we need players’, and if the players are saying that, and I’m saying that, you can be assured we’ve got a small, but good quality, squad.

“There were only 16 players we could pick against Bolton. When the African guys come back, and the guys who are suspended come back, we’ll have a strong squad if we can get one or two in.

“That’s what you need in the Premiership.”

However, one familiar face has already joined Keegan at St James’s Park.

Arthur Cox, who signed Keegan for Newcastle and was part of his team during his first managerial spell at United, will take up a role in his new regime.

I was surprised when Keegan came back to United and equally surprised when “Coxie” decided to retire from football with Manchester City.

For in all my time covering Newcastle I have never met anyone in football who loves the games as much as Arthur Cox.

And it is clearly Cox’s wisdom which Keegan will be banking on at St James’s Park where, like Terry McDermott, he may or may not be given an official title.

It will come as no surprise that Keegan is surrounding himself with people he knows, and while he concentrates on signing players he knows, he will have to decide on the massive backroom staff he inherited from Sam Allardyce.

I am told there are 23 of them and it is highly unlikely that they will be kept on under the new regime.

i wonder how much truth is in the carrick and berbatov rumours? i mean carricks a geordie and exactly what we need in midfield. And berba is a renowned newcastle fan so maybe there could be a chance but any truth?

Dreaming I reckon

i wonder how much truth is in the carrick and berbatov rumours? i mean carricks a geordie and exactly what we need in midfield. And berba is a renowned newcastle fan so maybe there could be a chance but any truth?

Dreaming I reckon

Definitely.

Seeing as it appears that a lot of Allardyce's staff are for the road what about getting Steve Black back? He's left the Falcons and is fairly well regarded isn't he?

Suggested that the other day. Fell out with the Falcons owner because he stood up to him for being a cheapskate apparently (wanted to travel down south on the mornings of matches to save on hotel bills etc.) Blackie thought it was unprofessional and spoke out on a few occasions. Still works with Johnny Wilkinson though.

Wasn't the press link Berbatov or Carrick (if we stood aside and let Berbatov go to Man Utd) rather than both of them?

Either way it's dreamland...

The Berbatov transfer would just end up like the Rooney one, they would put a bid in then Man utd would panic and go all out to get him.Maybe thats what they are waiting for?

I doubt it, rooney was young and still developing as a player so they were keeping an eye on him, berbatov is pretty much top of his game at the moment

The Berbatov transfer would just end up like the Rooney one, they would put a bid in then Man utd would panic and go all out to get him.Maybe thats what they are waiting for?

I doubt it, rooney was young and still developing as a player so they were keeping an eye on him, berbatov is pretty much top of his game at the moment

All the more reason Man utd will get him then

All the more reason Man utd will get him then

yeh :razz: I'd rather he stay at spurs than go there, my flatmate talks about him like he's already their player, arrogant prat :blush:

But i think the fact berbatov is a newcastle fan would maybe swing it for us? As for carrick same applies.....they mite want to be part of this revolution!

Berbatov a newcastle fan? Says who? I'd be amazed if any top class player turned down the chance to join Man Utd for Newcastle to be honest. Newcastle UEFA cup hopefulls while Man Utd are likely to pick up 1 trophy (at least) this season.

But i think the fact berbatov is a newcastle fan would maybe swing it for us? As for carrick same applies.....they mite want to be part of this revolution!

Berbatov a newcastle fan? Says who? I'd be amazed if any top class player turned down the chance to join Man Utd for Newcastle to be honest. Newcastle UEFA cup hopefulls while Man Utd are likely to pick up 1 trophy (at least) this season.

His mum

Berbatov_375683a.jpg

No idea.

Berbatov_375683a.jpg

No idea.

Cheers bud cudnt find it...do you think we'd stand a chance?

Berbatov_375683a.jpg

No idea.

Cheers bud cudnt find it...do you think we'd stand a chance?

I think if Shearer spoke to him he'd probabaly cry with joy , we just need Shearer on board.

Or maybe Keegan could swing it.