Woody to be the Buzz of the Toon?

smoggeordie

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Stevie, you were buzzing about Barton, Geremi et al pre-season ;)

Better to be optimistic than negative. At the end of the day, who cares about fucking money, some idiots don't get it, money is no longer an issue. We might be paying over the odds given his injury problems, but who gives a fuck, if he's half as good as he was the last time, he will still be a fantastic asset. Ashley won't be bothered, for fuck sake, since he bought NUFC, his personal wealth, has shot up by 200m, which is nearly what he's invested in NUFC. If I was a footballer and read toon forums, I'd think I don't want to sign for those bunch of wanks, it's almost as if certain people have to have an alternative view - attention seeking bastards.

Thats the impression I was getting when we were looking for a manager

wooddy woody woody wooodyyyyyy whey aye whey aye whey ayyyyye

Ruby - Kaiser Chiefs

It's a better effort than the Habib Beye song surely.

;)

Woodgate Woodgate

He used to have a bad injury record

we sold him for loads

then he didnt get injured so much

he was quite poor at boro

but anyone would be

so we'l have him back

woodgate woodgate

To the tune of Bach's Bourhee in E Minor like...

Woodgate Woodgate

He used to have a bad injury record

we sold him for loads

then he didnt get injured so much

he was quite poor at boro

but anyone would be

so we'l have him back

woodgate woodgate

To the tune of Bach's Bourhee in E Minor like...

That would be a good song if more than 16 people in the UK knew the tune.

Better being honest imo. Only any point in buying him if he improves the squad. I loved him as a player for us but even first time round the only thing that made him a good buy was getting £14m out of Madrid for him. Totally class player but he was only available for a third of the games. That's no good man. If he comes back I hope he gets back to being the player he was, obviously.

He's played 46 league games for Boro, in 18 months, that is acceptable.

And played shite by all accounts.

don't beleive that for a second. your boro mates been inhaling too many petrochemicals.

fact he's not quite as quick as he was.

fact he has a lot of weird ( booze and coke) related injuries.

fact his thigh uscle injury has never been 100% since it caved in at madrid. (i've actually had the same injury and its a fucker and has seen me not able to play as well as i did for 18 months.

he is better than any of the centrebacks we have at the club however (in my opinion by a country mile). for that reason he is worth about 6 million, which means we'll pay around 10 mil....

i don't see the problem getting him back in. injuries will always be a factor regarding woodgate, but we're a mid table club and he's a top drawer defender. also, his injuries do seem to have become less of an issue.

I wouldn't be excited at all if he came back. The guy has an atrocious injury record, and is still afflicted by the same injuries which has plagued his career. OK, he's been available for more games since his move to the smoggies, but he's still only been available for a third of all fixtures per season.

He's lost his pace and lost his place in the starting lineup of a mediocre side. He still carries on like a fool in his own time by the sounds of things too.

In terms of rating him comparable to our current centrebacks he's probably better than Rozenhal, Taylor and Cacapa but is that any reason to bring him back to the club?..knowing he'll be missing many games here and there?..I don't think so!

Tottenham have had a £7million offer for Jonathan Woodgate accepted by Middlesbrough, who have given the defender permission to talk with the London club.

Boro manager Gareth Southgate is keen for Woodgate's future to be resolved quickly after losing striker Yakubu in a £13m deal to Everton right at the end of the August transfer window, leaving him little time to find a replacement.

Having matched the fee Boro paid Real Madrid for Woodgate in the summer, Spurs have set a Sunday deadline for agreement to be reached on Tiago's £9m move from Juventus.

A fee has been agreed between the two clubs, but Tiago's inflated wage demands are proving to be a stumbling block with the former Chelsea player demanding around £50,000-a-week and Spurs reluctant to go above £40,000.

If the midfielder refuses to bend by the weekend then boss Juande Ramos will pursue other targets, with Valencia's out-of-favour Spanish midfielder David Albelda one option.

Spurs goalkeeper Radek Cerny admits he would be interested in a move to QPR — even though he has just become first-choice at White Hart Lane.

Cerny's loan deal from Slavia Prague expires in the summer and his agent Pavel Paska is believed to have held talks with QPR's co-owner Flavio Briatore.

"Considering that my contract in Tottenham expires in the summer, I must be looking for a different club," said Cerny. "If QPR were it, then I would go there."

source Daily Mail

From Saturdays Times:

Jonathan Woodgate’s proposed transfer to Tottenham Hotspur hung in the balance last night after the England defender failed to agree personal terms with the London club. Woodgate is understood to favour a move back to Newcastle United and is hoping the delay may flush out substantive interest from Kevin Keegan, who has confirmed for the first time that the admiration is mutual.

As The Times revealed yesterday, Middlesbrough gave permission for Tottenham to open negotiations with the centre half on Thursday evening – a fee is still to be settled – but after a round of talks with Struan Marshall, the player’s representative, Woodgate remained on Teesside. He earns about £70,000 a week, including incentives, which is outside Tottenham’s wage structure.

The 28-year-old reported to Rockliffe Park, Middlesbrough’s training ground, as usual yesterday morning for treatment on his shin injury, a move that has been interpreted as a lack of enthusiasm for Tottenham’s pursuit. “I hope they can get in touch with him and try to sort something out as he’s a great player,” Gustavo Poyet, the Tottenham assistant first-team coach, said. “He is definitely one of the options we’re looking at.”

Sources close to Woodgate have indicated that five clubs have expressed an interest in the defender, but his first choice is believed to be a return to St James’ Park. As yet, only Spurs have made contact with Middlesbrough, but Keegan, the Newcastle manager, has confirmed his admiration for a player he blooded for England in 1999.

Woodgate had a brief, injury-blighted spell at Newcastle before his £13.4 million transfer to Real Madrid in 2004. “At the moment, he is one of a number of players we have talked about,” Keegan said. “I am not surprised others are interested. He is a great leader. He is 28 and I gave him his England debut and I know him well.” Whether Newcastle would match his £7-8 million valuation is another matter.

Woodgate never played for Real against Juande Ramos’s former Seville side, but the Tottenham head coach’s regard for the player is genuine; during a month in which the club’s transfer policy has appeared puzzling and inconsistent, that has not always been the case.

Ramos has admitted that he has vetoed several players proposed by Daniel Levy, the chairman, and Damien Comolli, the sporting director, the other members of the club’s transfer committee.

“I’ve already [said no to a player] on various occasions – maybe six to eight,” he said. “Players that I don’t like and that aren’t right for the team, we have rejected them. We evaluate the player as a group, decide whether we are interested in him and make a final decision. Everyone in the working group has to be in agreement for us to try to sign the player.” Ramos said that he was comfortable with the continental system. “There is a consensus on whether a player can come related to his quality, price and availability,” he said. “We take those decisions together, it is not only one person that decides.”

Before Woodgate, Levy had also contacted Middlesbrough to inquire about the availability of Stewart Downing and Adam Johnson.

Seriously something wrong in the world splashing out on a crock, bring back the fucking messiah and all the same old shite appears time after fucking time!not forgetting the Chimponda link etc etc...

Wenger is the Holy grail of football official!

Battle well and truly on over Woodgate

Jonathan Woodgate faces a straight choice between Tottenham and Newcastle after Middlesbrough last night accepted an £8million bid from their North-East rivals for the centre back.

Boro had already reached agreement on that fee with Spurs and Woodgate spoke to both suitors yesterday.

Staying at Boro remains a possibility. A move to Spurs — who are still hopeful midfielder Tiago will join from Juventus — would mean Woodgate becoming one of their top earners given his £65,000-a-week wages at The Riverside.

But matching such wages would not be a problem for Newcastle, with billionaire owner Mike Ashley willing to back Kevin Keegan's decision to offer Woodgate a return to St James' Park.

Keegan said: 'He's one of a number of players we've talked about. I'm not surprised others are interested. He's a great leader. He's 28 and I gave him his England debut and know him well.'

Battle well and truly on over Woodgate

Jonathan Woodgate faces a straight choice between Tottenham and Newcastle after Middlesbrough last night accepted an £8million bid from their North-East rivals for the centre back.

Boro had already reached agreement on that fee with Spurs and Woodgate spoke to both suitors yesterday.

Staying at Boro remains a possibility. A move to Spurs — who are still hopeful midfielder Tiago will join from Juventus — would mean Woodgate becoming one of their top earners given his £65,000-a-week wages at The Riverside.

But matching such wages would not be a problem for Newcastle, with billionaire owner Mike Ashley willing to back Kevin Keegan's decision to offer Woodgate a return to St James' Park.

Keegan said: 'He's one of a number of players we've talked about. I'm not surprised others are interested. He's a great leader. He's 28 and I gave him his England debut and know him well.'

wheres that quote from?

Seriously something wrong in the world splashing out on a crock, bring back the fucking messiah and all the same old shite appears time after fucking time!not forgetting the Chimponda link etc etc...

Hardly been a crock for Boro.

Still missed nearly 30% of their games according to SSN. Hardly great?

Still missed nearly 30% of their games according to SSN. Hardly great?

Has he? Not really looked into it that much, thought his record looked alright... on Wikipedia.